Ranch Surveillance System Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranch Surveillance System Suggestions

We need to add a video system for our front gate and also around the barn. The issue is the gate is 2200' from the barn. We will run cable and power so that we have a full connection. Anyone use a system like this with any success? Any experts here that do this in South Texas?

I’m not sure your going to be able to run the power and signal cable 2200’.

Comment

If you have power at the gate, you would need single mode fiber from the barn to the gate, fiber to copper transceiver at each end, and Poe injector at the gate along with a weather tight box to put the electronics and power in. Then whatever camera system at the barn. You could do wireless with it if you had clear line of sight.

Comment

I’ve had a Covert camera at my front gate for several years and it’s a great gate guard. Way cheaper than running cable.

Comment

I have been wanting to try the arlo mobile cameras for this. Why don’t you be the guinea pig for us. Add a solar panel so you don’t have to keep the batteries charged.

Arlo Go is a portable security camera that connects via an LTE network for nationwide coverage-no Wi-Fi needed. Learn more about Arlo Go.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
            I’m not sure your going to be able to run the power and signal cable 2200’.
            That’s my concern. I don’t think wireless is a reliable option either because of brush and the topography.

Comment

Arlo Go

Comment

There is a semi wide variety of methods u can use depending on as Kirk said above if u have power at the gate. If not look into dc powered media converters. Comnet makes several Devi es that will work at that distance. Feel free to pm me you number and I’ll give you a ring to chat about it.

Comment

Originally posted by brownchristian View Post
                  I have been wanting to try the arlo mobile cameras for this. Why don’t you be the guinea pig for us. Add a solar panel so you don’t have to keep the batteries charged.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/...o/default.aspx
                  That would be perfect if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                    That would be perfect if it works.
                    Let us know how they work.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                      I’ve had a Covert camera at my front gate for several years and it’s a great gate guard. Way cheaper than running cable.
                      This.

Comment

I currently have a run of 3500' of coax from the front gate to the first building on the property. I then have a point to point connection to the main house. Overall has been a pretty good setup but at the current distance I don't get much above 3-5mbs and I am about to swap out to single-mode fiber for better speed. I have coax to ethernet adapters on both ends to connect the camera to my dvr system. It can be complicated setup if you are not proficient with networks, etc. In short, you can do it but be aware of the materials cost and effort to keep the cables protected. This was all done in Junction, TX so trenching sucked with all the rocks and I had to cross the river!

Brandon

Comment

RG6 or RG11(better) coax and this

Comment

Thanks fellas.

Comment

We put up two Arlo go cameras in solar panels. They work great! Run off cell service and don’t need power.

- I don’t chase dreams, I HUNT goals

Comment

Working...
                              X