The ML hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ML hunting thread

I have 3 in line muzzle loaders. I have plinkered with them but never have really got serious about harvesting any game. With that stated any interest in posting up harvest past and future?

Bill (boh347) and I decided this is the year we shoot hogs, deer etc. This is just another weapon to scratch off my bucket list as "yeah I got that with my ML". I thought it be best posted here since it's not bow related.

Share your expertise as I am for sure not well tuned with these weapons. Just thought it would be fun to watch this thread and see where it goes. Flintlocks, in line are all welcome to join in.

My arsenal? 2 CVA's in 45 caliber and 1 CVA in 50 cal. Please post powder, sabots etc to help out the rest if this is your cup of tea. Peace.

i borrowed one in canada on a hunt and shot a 325 lb. whitetail buck through both lungs. The 50 cal. slug was just under the hide on the off shoulder. He still ran quite a ways with no lungs but it was a devasting shot.

Comment

Dang Chew......you don't play around. Awesome kill

Comment

I recently purchased my 1st ML. Picked up a CVA Accura V2 .50 cal on a whim. Did a little research on the net and found that like with most firearms you still have to experiment with various components to find a load that works. Tried pellets/loose powder and several specific ML and handgun bullets along with different primers.

Mounted a Zeiss 3x9x50 on mine, settled on BH209 powder, a Federal 209A primer along with a Hornady .429 or .452 250-300gr XTP and Harvester sabots. Have only shot it out to 200 yards and it does well.

Typical 100yd group sighted in about 2" high.

Hog down.....

Bullet performance on above hog.

Comment

dang sweet kill

Comment

Yeah I'm excited.... been so long I forgot how to load it.

Comment

Wish they would let us use sabots here in co

Comment

I shoot a Lyman Great Plains rifle .54 cal. 90 gr Goex FF and a .530 round ball. Have killed one doe and one big hog. I am having a custom Hawken rifle made and should have it in about a month. It will come with two barrels a .54 and a .62 cal. so I can switch them out depending on what I'm hunting. The .62 will be used for elk.

Comment

Lyman Great Plains rifle .54 cal, 110 gr Goex FF, .530 round ball patched with .015 pillow ticking. Killed 20-25 deer with it.

Comment

So I am going to try out some Parker bullets. Not getting the performance I want out of my others
                    All lead construction Hydraulically activated expansion Legal in MOST Western states T.C. friendly conicals available  10/pkg.

And ordered a trigger spring kit for my TC. That trigger has always been a problem and my last shooting I was just pulling everything right.

Comment

I have a TC Impact from when I lived in VA. Hunted with it in AR, but never connected. I haven't loaded or shot it in about three years. I used three pyrodex pellets and 225 or 250 gr sabots if memory serves me correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged. I hunt in Oklahoma and I'm thinking about gwtt5my muzzleloader license this year. Any brands too stay away from?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

There isn't alot, but some good ballistic information if you search. I use triple seven loose powder. Cleans very easy between shots and being loose you can mess with loads. I have 2 inlines and they like different charges.

Comment

Working...
                          X