"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

next time

went out yesterday afternoon at pecan unit, while walking to set up some corn i spooked a pig that darted away from me, through the reeds. it completely caught me off gaurd and scared the crap out of me, i am very aware of my surroundings (except for that sleeping hog) and knew there was a tree about 2 feet away from me that i could jump on and latch on to if that piggy darted toward me, i had my hand out already reaching for the tree when i saw the reeds bend away from me heading in the other direction. (as someone else posted on here, they really do have thier Nikes on!!) i slowly set up some corn in a cleared area next to there wallow. i came back across the spillway and slowly moved towards where i wanted to set up, as i did i saw 2 hogs in the reeds and they moved back to the place where i had scared them. i proceeded to a place where i had already set up some corn and stood about 20 yds away from where the pigs sleep, i had a view of both corn placements but only had a shot to the closet pile. after about 45 min i heard some movement to the right and saw through the trees 4 smaller hogs walking toward the corn using the spillways edge. at about 20 yards to the corn and about 15 yards to a clear shot, they woke up a bigger hog which grunted and they scurried back away. the bigger hog woke up and went to the wallow and rolled in the mud for a bit and several others joined in. they all went back into the covering and a couple came back my way but stopped in the reeds and went back to sleep. by this time it was 6:10 and i tried to quietly slip back out and get back on the main road, i actually stayed for a bit and sat on the edge on the spillway where it cleared out and ate my granola bar. it was like sunrise outside with the full moon. after i finished snacking, i made the long 3 mile walk of shame back to the car with no hog. I'm new at hog hunting and using the whole public land thing so i have some doubts and second guess some stuff i do, but to me i just didnt have luck on my side, i think i did everything right and setup correctly, right? or is there any tips or suggestions you all think i need? i am actually leaving tonight back to south texas for the holidays and wont be back till jan 4, so these piggys will have to wait till i come back, but man i cant wait to get back, but i guess ill have scratch the itch at my ranch with some javalinas, turkey, and some deer hunting. i also have a freind thats taking me geese and sandhill crane hunting. the geese and crane will be a first this year too

Comment

Sounds like a cool hunt even if you didn’t stick one. How long was the walk to the area where you sat up??? I hunt private land on the north side of that unit but have never walked through it. Hunted that private land on Thursday evening and saw some deer but no pigs.

Comment

hunted this morning on the north side of spillway seen were corn was scattered out by previous hunter.hogs were in the thick reeds so i found a big rock and threw it at that direction, pigs exploded out of there the other way. didnt have the huevos to go in there, didnt see anymore pigs the rest of my hunt

Comment

Good luck to everyone this weekend. I'm setting down my bow and picking up a rifle for some deer hunting, well more like killing where I'm going this weekend y'all be safe!

jcox you're avatar is awesome and a little disturbing

Comment

Viper great story.
            I went back out this evening to where I heard squealing and saw movement late Sunday night. I guess the pigs didn't get the memo because they didn't show up. LOL

Geneviene good luck this weekend and post some pics.

Comment

Well I am out at gate 7 and someone else is here already.
              I thought I was the only crasy one. LOL I thought a short hunt before Chrimas shopping would calm the nerves. Well that's my story and I'm stickin to it. Sunrise in a hour' so maybe a quick nap. Goodluck to all you crasy bowhunters and huntresses.

Comment

Originally posted by 05 gray ghost View Post
                Well I am out at gate 7 and someone else is here already.
                I thought I was the only crasy one. LOL I thought a short hunt before Chrimas shopping would calm the nerves. Well that's my story and I'm stickin to it. Sunrise in a hour' so maybe a quick nap. Goodluck to all you crasy bowhunters and huntresses.
                Did you get any rain? its been pouring out here in Center Point. I hunted this morning on the side of a hill, I dragged some brush up to cover me a bit but I sat in the rain for about 2 hours, I'm just glad the front didnt come in this morning. I'm ok if its cold or wet but I can't do cold and wet. I saw a bunch of youngins and a doe that was about 1.5 I let her walk because there are much larger does out here but I should have shot her. She came hauling butt towards me last night and stopped at 30 yards (I'm rifle hunting)and I let her walk, then she stomped and snorted, did the same thing this morning. If she shows up tomorrow she's getting a dirt nap. The ranch rule is that you have to shoot the smart ones first.

How are y'all doing?

Comment

Has anybody had any luck out there in the rain? I was thinking about going Sunday afternoon, but there is supposed to be a %70 chance of precipitation. Do hogs move much in the rain?

Comment

Originally posted by Neano View Post
                    Has anybody had any luck out there in the rain? I was thinking about going Sunday afternoon, but there is supposed to be a %70 chance of precipitation. Do hogs move much in the rain?
                    I am heading out to gate 8 tomorrow in the AM and the weather report I just looked at says all clear. Chilly and hopefully the pigs will be moving. Should be a good stalk.

Good luck to you.

Comment

I have a few Christmas presents out in E for you guys.

Find my hidy hole along a scrape run and start from there.

I shot twice at spikes last week. Two Terminator Lites with lighted nocks and 2 blade rages. Operator error on both shots.

First arrow hit a limb and went over the spikes back and sailed into oblivion and the last time I saw the other one was embedded in the side of another spike as he took off. I hit him high. I shot him at 8:10am and gave him till 10:30.

We had a good blood trail to the river where he attempted to swim to D.

Never found him. Gator bait probably.

No1hogkiller scored on a doe in E. Death from above. He must have had his climbing stand 20 feet in the air. Maybe he'll post some more pictures.

I put his son Chummer on a hog nest near the primitive boat launch. They took off running and he ran along side and shot twice.

No joy but it was fun to watch. Reminded me of me 20 years ago.

Mason Hunter was there also but I don't know if he scored the last morning since we got out of the area late.

Here's a picture of no1hogkiller with his doe in E.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Think I maybe out sun afternoon.launch the flat bottom at7 maybe checkout the island

Comment

Originally posted by creeping death View Post
                          hunted this morning on the north side of spillway seen were corn was scattered out by previous hunter.hogs were in the thick reeds so i found a big rock and threw it at that direction, pigs exploded out of there the other way. didnt have the huevos to go in there, didnt see anymore pigs the rest of my hunt
                          Thats the #1 way to get them at Granger. I would get the wind right and walk in real slow into the thick stuff if I knew they were there. Was hard to get a shot but it's better odds than waiting on them to come out. I think if you slip in they think you are just another hog and you can get pretty close. Be prepared to lose the arrow you shoot though LOL..

Comment

Originally posted by Neano View Post
                            Rain makes for the best nice and quiet stalking. Get out there.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              Rain makes for the best nice and quiet stalking. Get out there.
                              Thats good to know. Apparently I read the report wrong or they changed their mind. Looks like temp in the 40's with clear skies. I will be out at Pecan from about 3pm till dark.

Comment

launched at 7 today ended up hunting the peninsula at 6 lots of tracks but i didnt see anything,checked the slough on the otherside but its dried up no sign but it was great to get out there again

Comment

Working...
                                X