No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am once again coming home without but I did see two nice hogs that some other hunters bumped. They were coming my way and to the left and possibly picked up my sent and made a big circle back into the thicket. I tried to pick them up on the other side but never saw them again.

This was cool. I also had a doe, two fawns and a 6 pointer trot right to me and go to my right. The buck stopped within 35 yards, looked around and then walked off. They never new that I was there. Chalk one up to camo.

Man, pig or no pig. Life is good.

Comment

Heading out in the morning to number 7 if anyone wants to meet up. Prolly be there around 8-8:15

Comment

Originally posted by bigbowman91 View Post
        Heading out in the morning to number 7 if anyone wants to meet up. Prolly be there around 8-8:15
        I thought your "types" usually liked to meet up at Rest Stops and Starbucks?

Comment

Any ideas where to go im at 7 right now and lots of ppl fishing all down the river spooking everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            I thought your "types" usually liked to meet up at Rest Stops and Starbucks?
            It was an accident with an electric industrial type right angle grinder, not a grinder person. I think

Comment

Well my son an myself went out yesterday around 3:00 pm for the first time. Thought we would just walk around to get a look at the area and try to figure out what to do. 20 minutes in we run into a couple a other hunters who took us under their wing and gave us a crash course on hunting Granger. Saw a hog swim like an olympian across a river and my son shot at a hog wearing nikes. It was a hoot of a time, thank you Dave and Tommy for a blast. We are heading to Cabelas in the morning and plan on stopping at Granger on our way home. Will post pics if anything goes down.

Comment

Hit below the dam tonight. Pretty dry down their. In my short ten years of hunting granger have never seen it so empty down their. One of the fisherman did kill a baby rattle snake. About 2 ft long. Already out guys.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                  Hit below the dam tonight. Pretty dry down their. In my short ten years of hunting granger have never seen it so empty down their. One of the fisherman did kill a baby rattle snake. About 2 ft long. Already out guys.
                  Wow that didnt take long for them to get back out... havent seen one out there since Nov. Been very slow behind the dam this year for the pigs .

Comment

Went out this afternoon and met up with Dave and Tommy for a little hog driving action. We found two very large black hogs, of which the larger one was every bit of 250lbs. - just a freakin' wall of meat. While Dave was trying to push them out of the thick cover, I saw them start to appear and I dropped to my knees, used a large tree for cover, and drew back. It took about a minute for them to give me a clear shot, and when they did, I settled my third pin a bit high for what I estimated was a 35 yard shot, and watched as the orange nock of my arrow arced and seemingly vanished into the black mass. The hogs took off in a sprint, and I too broke into a full sprint to hopefully turn them back toward Tommy and Dave. I had to slow down a bit to nock a second arrow and they took that opportunity to get ahead of me and make their escape from the peninsula. Unfortunately there was no recovery since much of their retreat was in a few inches of standing water (no blood trail) and I believe my arrow stuck in the pig and was then broke off during the run. It was still a good time though, and my brethren in arms were first rate company.

I also met Pig Addiction in the parking lot - nice guy!

If anyone finds a really large black boar dead anywhere near 6, please let me know so I can recover the skull to make a mount of it. The entry would would be on the hogs right side, and it might have an Easton Carbon Aftermath arrow and/or a Slick Trick in it.

Thanks, good luck, and KAP!

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                      Yeah, I've been below the dam four times I think this year on both sides of river (I don't know why, the first time told me that it was mostly hog-barren). Tons of deer, but hogs just aren't there this year. No pecans anywhere.

Comment

Sneaky: TPWD and local farmers love you! Thou art a pig killing machine. I have always heard (unfortunately not from first hand experience) the pigs bigger than 200 lbs don't eat well, so I would not worry much about not making the retrieve. Of course the big ones are tough as nails too, so lets not get ahead of ourselves and assuming the critter is down and out.

Comment

Originally posted by wilcohunter View Post
                          Wow that didnt take long for them to get back out... havent seen one out there since Nov. Been very slow behind the dam this year for the pigs .
                          Wish I would have read y'all's posts this morning. Went to Pecan Grove this afternoon. No hogs. No sign. Just dry and dead for the most part. Some rabbits is about all I could find.

Comment

I haven't walked into the PC on Commanche Trail this year. Is it groomed/grass cut down. I want to take my 3 year old for a nature walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
                              ...seemingly vanished into the black mass...
                              Recruiter called me last night and told me about your shot. Wow, sounds like another great Granger hog hunt.

You were blessed to hunt with the very best at Granger.

Good job Sneaky.

Comment

David aka, the "recruiter" aka TXUSNavyChief

Comment

Working...
                                X