chevy engine noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chevy engine noise

My son has a new to him 2004 Chevy 1500 5.3L v8 with 85,000 miles. We replaced the alternator, tensioner, and belt last weekend. Last night it started to make a noise. I am not sure if it is related to the repairs or not. I don't think it is. When he drives and there is a slight rise in the road ahead of him, the engine sounds like it is going into overdrive. Yesterday it was happening from 10-70mph. Anytime there was a slight increase in load on the motor it got louder. As soon as the road leveled off, it went away. The RPM seemed to stay the same. We turned off AC and radio and listened for it. My son was driving, he said it sounded like it was by his left foot. I was in the passenger seat and it sounded to me like it was in front of me just past the firewall. With the windows down, we couldn't tell where it was. We switched from Drive to 3rd gear. It still happened. We went back to drive and turned on the trailer towing button and it only happened once and that was when he was starting off from a complete stop. It did it 10 feet from the stop sign and then quit. We can't get it to do it in park.

I thought it might be an electric fan, but he doesn't have one on the front side of the radiator.

Any ideas what to look for or where to start?

I have an 06 and it makes several different noises
    Including a lifter tick that comes and goes.
    One noise mine makes sounds like a pulley with a slight grind going on. All these noises have been going on for about 4 years and never any issues with them.

Comment

Just grabbin at straws...Ac has tensioner pulley.

Comment

I've got a 98 Z71 with the 5.7 and it has 222209 miles on it.

Is it shifting gear, hunting for the correct one?
        My 98 does that sometimes. I'll be cruising @ 70 mph & 2000 rpm. Engine nose will change and I'll be @2300 rpm.

Check the battery connections. Loose ground is what was causing my truck to act up

Comment

My guess is the fan clutch

Comment

Second the fan clutch.

Comment

Either fan clutch or electric fan kicking in. More load on engine adds heat and thermostats are telling the system to add more cooling. Drive it like you stole it.
              You could also take it to one of the quick change oil places and have them flush and refill the cooling system with fresh coolant. Just don't let them talk you into back flushing the transmission or you will be buying a new tranny within a week.

Comment

I don't think it is searching for gears.

Not sure about the Ac tensioner. I know he needs a new ac belt. It is cracked.

I have never had to repair/replace a fan clutch. Honestly I don't even know where it is. Is there a way to check it to see if it is the problem or is it just better to replace it?

Comment

If the Rpms are not changing I would start looking at the fan clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

an 04 with only 85K miles? wow.

like for as others have said above

Comment

Most likely fan clutch

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                        I don't think it is searching for gears.

Not sure about the Ac tensioner. I know he needs a new ac belt. It is cracked.

I have never had to repair/replace a fan clutch. Honestly I don't even know where it is. Is there a way to check it to see if it is the problem or is it just better to replace it?
                        Spin the fan blade and if it continues to spin freely for five turns or so with no signs of resistance it is likely shot. Haven't priced them but should be under $50. May as well change water pump while you are at it.

Comment

GM didn’t put electric fans on trucks until 2005. If the truck can sit and idle without getting hot for 20-30 minutes, your fan clutch is fine. The fan clutch is the silver thing between the fan and water pump. It’s got a liquid in it that gets thicker as the temp gets hotter causing it to kick in.

You say the engine noise just gets louder as more of a load gets placed on the truck? Sounds to me like the truck is just working a little harder to get over a hill

Comment

Does the noise follow the engine RPM? Sounds like you're just hearing the normal fan clutch operation.

Comment

The sound doesn't follow the rpm. The increase in elevation can be a foot or two over 100 yards and it kicks in.

My boy use to sit all the time with the livestock with the engine running, but I don't let him do that any longer. I pay for gas.

The engine did smell a little hot last night when I popped the hood.

Comment

Working...
                              X