Big buck in Burnet (long read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big buck in Burnet (long read)

I am on a new property just south of Lampasas this year. I've never hunted that area before but a friend from the area said he's seen some great bucks. In August I had a deer show up on camera that I thought had potential. He was a nine point and after he lost his velvet he looked pretty nice but he seemed to stay away on the days I hunted.

This past weekend I went hopeful that he might show. I wasn't sure what the weather change on Sunday might do but was expectant that he would be out and about.

It was amazing how fast the weather turned Sunday morning. I was in the stand well before daylight sitting on some hand corn. At 7 that morning it started raining a bit and the wind picked up considerably from the north. There were a couple of bucks out in front of me early but were extremely nervous due to the wind. They moved off after a few minutes and a couple new bucks wandered in. Just moments later I noticed movement behind them and when I looked closer through the binoculars I could see it was the big nine working his way in. Like the previous deer, these three were a bit jumpy due to the wind but they remained out in front feeding on the corn.

I had not shot a nice buck in about 5 years so I was probably a bit more nervous due to that added pressure I put on myself. The nine point finally was in a great position about 17 yards out. I placed the pin low behind his right shoulder, let the arrow release and watched him run off. I couldn't tell about the shot it was so fast and upon checking my arrow was very disappointed to not find it covered in good blood. There was blood but just not what I was hoping for.

Now the hard part. I made my way back to camp to wait an hour or so before trying to start a search. I called my friend and he came over to help. So a little over an hour and half later we went back to the scene of the crime to look for blood. Thankfully my friend has far better eyes than I and he began finding small drops. We followed along on hands and knees for about 80 yards until the blood began to get more noticeable and I began to have some hope.

Low and behold another 20 yards past that I looked up to see antlers sticking up over the grass! Turns out I actually hit him pretty good. Slightly further back than I though but still caught lung. As you all know it's a tremendous joy to find a deer. I went from feeling down and bad about injuring a good buck to the elation of finding him and realizing his antlers actually GREW rather than shrunk when I placed my hands on him.

Thanks for reading and good luck to you all!
    Attached Files

Awesome buck sir

Comment

Nice Buck, Congrats!!

Comment

Good read and heck of a deer. Congrats.

Comment

Beautiful buck, congrats!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Wow, impressive buck.