Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady
Default Giving up on Finding a Trophy Texas Lease. Whats on your trophy list?

Been after it for some years and Im finally just going to throw in the towel on finding a trophy deer lease here in Texas. Going to keep my small place to hunt hogs whenever I want but Im thinking of going on a trophy hunt once a year or so as funds allow, whether it be public land DIY or with an outfitter.

Anyone else done this? What did you start chasing?

Im thinking I will run the remainder of this hunting season on just chasing waterfowl and next year I want to start with a Pronghorn hunt.

After that im not sure what order but so far the only trophy animals ive considered to hunt are

Elk, Mulie, Oryx, Blackbuck and Axis. Dont care too much to travel over to Africa so thats not really in my interest but possibly NZ for Red Stag and thinking Alaska or BC for a few goat hunts.

Kind of just thinking out loud as im still young and physically capable, might as well do these hunts while I still can. I can sit in a tree or box blind and shoot whitetail at a feeder when im old.
ultralite09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX.. El Dorado, Scheicher Co., TX.

How can you not find a trophy deer lease in Texas?
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
Jmsck12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

You have to add a nilgai to that list, a true beast like this guy I got on cam. Nilgai are so fun to hunt you have to do it. Name:  IMG_3963.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  78.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmsck12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

I've been doing the same thing for a long time.
Once I was able to afford to get on a decent lease, I realized that I didn't have nowhere near the time to dedicate to it, to make it worth while.

I do day hunts, mostly, with the occasional out of state trip. In the end, I probably come out ahead, and I have more on my walls than just whitetail.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Cant find one that makes sense to me. Hard to find a place that doesnt want +$3k plus feed that is within 4 hours of DFW that has deer over 140".

Just gonna give it up for now and allocate those funds to other hunts for the time being.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
wilcox1088
Eight Point

Alberta mule deer needs to be at the top if you are a bow hunter
wilcox1088 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Has deer, is within my budget
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #8
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada

There are endless possibilities. My idea on this, I wanted to kill a whitetail, bear, elk, moose, mule deer, and caribou. If I can kill a Mule deer next year I will have this done. Not sure I want to hunt anything else (different) but it is fun to go different places and bow hunt different animals. I do want to hunt them all again and would like to go hunt New Newfoundland and Alaska. I wouldn't give up my deer lease though.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Green Screen

NM Bull Elk!
I gave up on it this year. Gonna go elk hunting with what I would have spent on a WT lease. My budget is gonna drop next year too. If I don't find another lease....so be it.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
Traildust
Pope & Young

X2

NM Bull Elk!
I gave up on it this year. Gonna go elk hunting with what I would have spent on a WT lease. My budget is gonna drop next year too. If I don't find another lease....so be it.

Last edited by Traildust; 10-05-2017 at 04:34 PM..
Old 10-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #11
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Africa
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #12
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

They're all trophy leases when your looking at them then several years, and 10s of thousands of dollars, later you have only seen one or two P&Y bucks come off the place and none of them went home with you. I love to have a place to go at the drop of a hat. It's not just about the size of the deer. I wasted a lot of years thing a Big one would make it worth more. A monster would be great but having lots of game and a good group is more important to me.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Last edited by DRT; 10-05-2017 at 04:37 PM..
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #13
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Trophy money for the broker or landowner.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:46 PM   #14
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
They're all trophy leases when your looking at them then several years, and 10s of thousands of dollars, later you have only seen one or two P&Y bucks come off the place and none of them went home with you. I love to have a place to go at the drop of a hat. It's not just about the size of the deer. I wasted a lot of years thing a Big one would make it worth more. A monster would be great but having lots of game and a good group is more important to me.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
No doubt, thats why I said im still keeping my small year round place where I can go drop a hog, cull buck or doe any day of the week and get my fill of dove and quail hunting.

Every hunter goes through different stages, Im now in the stage where I want a few trophies on the wall and enjoy more western style hunting
Old 10-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #15
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Elk should definitely be high on your list IMO!
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #16
texashunter56
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas in Goliad, Live Oak, La Salle, Pecos to Kansas to Alberta and beyond

My trophy list still consists of WT and MD only. Nothing else. I have almost 50 WT and MD shoulder, pedestal or lifesize mounts. Will add as many more as I can in years to come. I have taken a couple of axis bucks and went to NZ to take a couple of Red Stag but that is it.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #17
doublearrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralite09 View Post
Cant find one that makes sense to me. Hard to find a place that doesnt want +$3k plus feed that is within 4 hours of DFW that has deer over 140".

Just gonna give it up for now and allocate those funds to other hunts for the time being.
I hunted 10 days in Alaska and 10 days in Colorado this August/September for less than the initial 3k of a lease. 20 days of hunting is about all I'd get if I had a lease. I'll probably never get on a Texas lease after I've found out how cheap I can hunt big game in other states.
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #18
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX.. El Dorado, Scheicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublearrow View Post
I hunted 10 days in Alaska and 10 days in Colorado this August/September for less than the initial 3k of a lease. 20 days of hunting is about all I'd get if I had a lease. I'll probably never get on a Texas lease after I've found out how cheap I can hunt big game in other states.

Got any pics of what you killed?
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #19
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Quote:

Spend your 3k and go to Kentucky every year with an outfitter for an archery rut hunt. OTC tags and license and tags arenít very expensive either.

Then come back and shoot pigs and ducks!
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #20
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:

3K donít go far on a Trophy deer Lease ... most South Texas Trophy leases are between 6-7 K
Hydestik is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #21
doublearrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Got any pics of what you killed?
Struck out in Alaska and shot a cow I didn't recover in Colorado.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #22
Hydestik
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Africa
For 3K ??
Old 10-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #23
STGS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
I've been doing the same thing for a long time.
Once I was able to afford to get on a decent lease, I realized that I didn't have nowhere near the time to dedicate to it, to make it worth while.

I do day hunts, mostly, with the occasional out of state trip. In the end, I probably come out ahead, and I have more on my walls than just whitetail.
Don't forget about the mooching you do on my place!!!!
STGS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #24
Addicted2bh
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I can hook you up with a hunt
Addicted2bh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #25
Low Fence
Pope & Young

It was really a blessing when I let mine go. I don't have time with kids my age to travel enough to justify 1/2 the expense. They are a blast.... but I now have 3x more fun traveling out of state and shooting bigger deer for 1/10th the money.... and no "work weekends"

And if you just want to shoot a big one... there are tons of great outfitters that can accommodate anything you want and when you put a pencil to it (other than just dumb luck) you still come out way ahead.
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #26
Jon-Paul
Administrator

I don't have a lease and don't regret it all. The money I was spending on leases is now spent on other hunting trips.

Last year was South Africa, Argentina and ended up shooting a 181 and 201" whitetail. Granted some of these trips was a little more.
Jon-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #27
trophy8
Pope & Young

I did the same thing a few years back. I've since knocked mule deer, blackbuck, oryx, fallow, and pronghorn off my list. I think I'm about to get on a good lease that makes sense where it's at and the location for me and my family. I'll be chasing elk in 2 weeks. Aoudad is on the list after that. Nothing else besides those 2 on my list that I can afford anytime soon. I need to kill a big free range whitetail. Hoping the lease produces that but looking for a well managed laid back place more than anything. It's time lol
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #28
Jmsck12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

I think a True Texas campfire after the hunt takes the cake over everything and will be the reason I stay on a lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmsck12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #29
stxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

I'm in the same mindset right now. Really wanting to do an elk hunt soon, caribou, moose, oryx and axis are all on my list. I've thought about Aoudad out in the Mountains in West Texas as well, but seems like those hunts are going way up.

I've leased several places in South Texas, but currently only hunt our place. Between lease fees or maintenance on our personal ranch + feed, feeder, blinds etc package hunts actually seem reasonable. The ONLY thing that has me reluctant about going that route is spending the same money for a 3-5 day hunt and not being successful or end up unsatisfied with the hunt itself.

Some of you guys saying it's cheaper to hunt out of state with better quality, feel free to post up recommended outfitters. It's always reassuring to get recommendations from satisfied hunters.
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #30
tommy1005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall Co.

Started hinting out of state the last 2 years. First was mule deer, then a pronghorn. Dropped the lease this year and leave Tuesday for elk, have a bear hunt in Alberta in May, and Africa next summer. Thinking about doing a DIY archery mule deer in AZ next year as well.

2019 will likely do an archery mule deer hunt in Alberta with the outfitter we're using for the bear.
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #31
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Kinney Counties

I'm in a similar boat. Gave up the deer lease when my wife was pregnant with our first child, and haven't looked for the last two years. I fish, a lot, probably more than I should. And duck/goose hunt, in state, out of state and Canada. I have no real desire to elk hunt or bear hunt, or anything out of state. Not sure why. Africa doesn't really interest me. I'd much rather do a destination fishing trip. I do a couple exotic hunts a year, maybe a couple meat hunts just to get something in the freezer, and hunt on my property or a buddies place down the road. I do miss having a deer lease, and once my little girl is old enough to tag along, I'll be back at it. Hard to beat the camp fire camaraderie, and shenanigans that only happen with a deer lease.

Last edited by panhandlehunter; 10-05-2017 at 09:51 PM..
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #32
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

When we sold our ranch in Menard I got on a lease and after one yr I said screw it. To many rules , can't shoot this or that , gotta do this , feed that and all. I added it all up plus travel and I spent 10k and didn't kill crap. Saved Money and went to Ohio and spent a week and had a great hunt and killed a buck off a lifetime for almost half. Now that my parents bought a ranch I haven't needed to go but will be soon planning
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #33
Fordnandez
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction

As mentioned before you are probably better off if you just save up a few years worth of lease dues and take a trip to kill something big with an outfitter. This is what I would do but 75% of the reason I am on a lease has nothing to do with the deer. I use mine as a vacation spot that I can go to year round and I am on it with 9 of my friends that all get along and dont have any crazy rules or requirements.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #34
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Good deal, glad to see im not the only one looking at hunting this way.

Western hunting has just about consumed my mind lately and im finally going to jump into it.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #35
hooligan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Foard Co.

I doubt we'll stay on our place. This is only our second year but land owner has already raised the price. For what we pay over the year we could be chasing elk or mulies. I love the time spent in the field with my dad and having a place to hunt year round but my wife is pregnant and not sure I'll be able to get away every other weekend once April hits.
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #36
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public Land

Quote:
Good deal, glad to see im not the only one looking at hunting this way.

Western hunting has just about consumed my mind lately and im finally going to jump into it.
Keep me posted on this. I'll join you possibly. I know I'll be drawn for the "H" next season, so I may not have much time next year, but the following for sure.
SFAbowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #37
LuBowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Real County, Chambers County, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Nebraska

I don't lease anymore. I hunt Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Nebraska, and South Dakota mostly now. I can go to Montana every year and for about $1,200 (tag, fuel, motel stay, food, etc) put a tag on a great mule deer or whitetail on public land rarely seeing another hunter. Also chase pronghorn and elk in the same year and not spend over 3k total if I hunt all three.
LuBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #38
Hydestik
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBowhunter View Post
I don't lease anymore. I hunt Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Nebraska, and South Dakota mostly now. I can go to Montana every year and for about $1,200 (tag, fuel, motel stay, food, etc) put a tag on a great mule deer or whitetail on public land rarely seeing another hunter. Also chase pronghorn and elk in the same year and not spend over 3k total if I hunt all three.
Thatís a heckuva deal. What kind of success rate out there ?
Old 10-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #39
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public Land

The thing I have a hard time with on these out of state hunts is the time it takes for them. I don't have a lot of vacation time and I am a weekend warrior when it comes to hunting whitetail in Texas. How long are your typical out of state hunts? A week? 10 days?
SFAbowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #40
ultralite09
Pope & Young

For me, if im planning an out of state hunt, I think I could get away with a week. Gives me about 4 or 5 days worth of hunting depending where im driving to and Q4 is the slowest quarter of the year in my industry so wouldnt be an issue getting away.

Though if Im hunting pronghorn or elk i know itll be around the Sept timeline.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #41
LuBowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Real County, Chambers County, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydestik View Post
Thatís a heckuva deal. What kind of success rate out there ?

So far I'm batting 1000. I see deer everyday and when I goat hunt I see 20-30 bucks a day. Here's a few I have on my phone.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #42
hooligan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
So far I'm batting 1000. I see deer everyday and when I goat hunt I see 20-30 bucks a day. Here's a few I have on my phone.

You're doing it right!
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #43
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You're doing it right!
no doubt...good stuff man
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #44
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:

archery or gun on the deer? this is giving me ideas for next year instead of my missouri WT trip
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #45
LuBowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
archery or gun on the deer? this is giving me ideas for next year instead of my missouri WT trip
I usually go gun because I like hunting the rut and having the ability to reach out incase a 200" crosses my path. But it could be done with a bow.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #46
doublearrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
The thing I have a hard time with on these out of state hunts is the time it takes for them. I don't have a lot of vacation time and I am a weekend warrior when it comes to hunting whitetail in Texas. How long are your typical out of state hunts? A week? 10 days?
I work shift work which helps big time. But we had 10 days each including travel time in both Alaska and Colorado. If I'm not working for myself next year at this time I'm hoping to take all of August and September off due to the way my vacation and schedule works. If I'm working for myself I will probably do 2 10 day trips again.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #47
Redbone
Four Point

Hunt In: public land- East TX & MO

That's what I've always done Just hunted the national Forrest at home for years and took one two week trip out of state each year. Usually went to Missouri for whitetail, last year did Colorado for elk. All on public land and was successful every year. This year I stumbled into a trophy lease in west Texas, so I'm going to give that a try.
Redbone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #48
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

The joy isnt just shooting for me...But checking cameras, improving the land, watching the deer grow, feeding them, and shooting hogs year around

I wouldnt trade it for the world
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #49
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
The joy isnt just shooting for me...
Just shooting? Giving the benefit of the doubt, I think I understood what you meant but you sure have a way of putting things.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #50
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-Paul View Post
I don't have a lease and don't regret it all. The money I was spending on leases is now spent on other hunting trips.

Last year was South Africa, Argentina and ended up shooting a 181 and 201" whitetail. Granted some of these trips was a little more.
Send me info on the $3k 200" whitetail !
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top