Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Homer75
Eight Point
 
Homer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Jackson co slamming piggies
Default AZ Coues Hunt

In January, Iím heading to Arizona for a coues hunt and wanted to see if anyone knew anything about units 21 & 22? Looking for overall quality and if there were better units in that part of AZ.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #2
LuBowhunter
Pope & Young
 
LuBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hamshire, Texas
Hunt In: Real County, Chambers County, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Nebraska
Default

Don't know anything about it but keep telling myself I'm going to do it.
LuBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
SabreKiller
Ten Point
 
SabreKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kerrville, Texas
Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County
Default

Is this a DIY hunt or are you using an outfitter? Coues deer is on my bucket list. How much was the tag and license?

BTW, GOOD LUCK!
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Homer75
Eight Point
 
Homer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Jackson co slamming piggies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
Is this a DIY hunt or are you using an outfitter? Coues deer is on my bucket list. How much was the tag and license?

BTW, GOOD LUCK!
As a NR youíre forced to buy a hunt/fish license and I put in for a javelina tag also. The archery deer tag is OTC so, all in itís costing me $575.
Yes, itís a DIY Hunt. A buddy and I are backpacking the country and will camp as needed out there for a week or so.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
Slick8
Pope & Young
 
Slick8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, Texas
Hunt In: In the woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
As a NR youíre forced to buy a hunt/fish license and I put in for a javelina tag also. The archery deer tag is OTC so, all in itís costing me $575.
Yes, itís a DIY Hunt. A buddy and I are backpacking the country and will camp as needed out there for a week or so.
Wow, that sounds like a fund hunt.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
SabreKiller
Ten Point
 
SabreKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kerrville, Texas
Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
As a NR youíre forced to buy a hunt/fish license and I put in for a javelina tag also. The archery deer tag is OTC so, all in itís costing me $575.
Yes, itís a DIY Hunt. A buddy and I are backpacking the country and will camp as needed out there for a week or so.
That's the kinda hunt I'm looking for. Probably would do a rifle hunt the first time though. Is it an archery only area or just late season archery?
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #7
Homer75
Eight Point
 
Homer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Jackson co slamming piggies
Default

Yea, it’s a late season archery season, I didn’t want to wait for a draw. I’ve always wanted to to hunt coues deer and I’m working on the whitetail slam.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #8
DPElite
Ten Point
 
DPElite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: FriendsHood
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
In January, Iím heading to Arizona for a coues hunt and wanted to see if anyone knew anything about units 21 & 22? Looking for overall quality and if there were better units in that part of AZ.


Homer
I have a text sent to my buddy who guides out there in Az so as soon as I here back from him I will send you a PM ok?
Good luck y'all


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DPElite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point
 
AZST_bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cypress, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
In January, Iím heading to Arizona for a coues hunt and wanted to see if anyone knew anything about units 21 & 22? Looking for overall quality and if there were better units in that part of AZ.
Are you archery hunting? I have hunted both units
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #10
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point
 
AZST_bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cypress, Tx
Default

Also, what type of vehicle are you taking? what kind of ground clearance?
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 12:03 PM   #11
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point
 
AZST_bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cypress, Tx
Default

PM sent
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #12
DPElite
Ten Point
 
DPElite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: FriendsHood
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

PM coming homer


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DPElite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #13
Homer75
Eight Point
 
Homer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Jackson co slamming piggies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
Also, what type of vehicle are you taking? what kind of ground clearance?
Weíll be in my buddies Z71 so Iím not to worried about clearance as much as what type of tire heís running. Iíve had issues in the past with thin side walls and punching a hole in the tires while in rocky terrain.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #14
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point
 
AZST_bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cypress, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
Weíll be in my buddies Z71 so Iím not to worried about clearance as much as what type of tire heís running. Iíve had issues in the past with thin side walls and punching a hole in the tires while in rocky terrain.
I was running pathfinders on mine, as long as you are driving cautiously yall should be ok. The area I sent you has roads that you can do 50 down, and some you can only do 10 down.
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #15
cpatterson
Four Point
 
cpatterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Lubbock TX
Hunt In: Scurry Co. & Nolan Co.
Default

Headed over there for the same hunt in January. Can't beat the tag prices.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 10:40 PM   #16
Homer75
Eight Point
 
Homer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Jackson co slamming piggies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatterson View Post
Headed over there for the same hunt in January. Can't beat the tag prices.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The prices are pretty cheap there. Last time I went to Montana it was over $1k for my tags.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #17
cpatterson
Four Point
 
cpatterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Lubbock TX
Hunt In: Scurry Co. & Nolan Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
The prices are pretty cheap there. Last time I went to Montana it was over $1k for my tags.
yes sir, im doing the DIY with a buddy also and looking forward to it!
cpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #18
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point
 
AZST_bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cypress, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatterson View Post
yes sir, im doing the DIY with a buddy also and looking forward to it!
what unit are you going to?
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #19
buxNdux
Eight Point
 
buxNdux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Lubbock, Mason, Goldthwaite
Default

We hunt AZ late archery every year and I love it.. We don't typically chase Coues, but we typically see plenty of them..
buxNdux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #20
BuckRage
Ten Point
 
BuckRage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

I'd love to do the OTC but it looks like a super tough hunt for archery. On the list!
BuckRage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #21
dope hunter
Ten Point
 
dope hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sherman, TX
Hunt In: Throckmorton
Default

From what I have read you can buy your hunting license, OTC archery tag, and then put in for the draw the next season and you dont have to purchase the hunting license again since its good for 365 days. Not 100% on that, but I think I read that right.
dope hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #22
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point
 
AZST_bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cypress, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dope hunter View Post
From what I have read you can buy your hunting license, OTC archery tag, and then put in for the draw the next season and you dont have to purchase the hunting license again since its good for 365 days. Not 100% on that, but I think I read that right.
The thing to check on is there extra tags that nobody drew on. There is a lot of that, keeps you from buying your license until you know you have a tag. And yes, good for 365 from date of purchase. They also do day license, 20 bucks a day
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #23
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point
 
AZST_bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cypress, Tx
Default

Take plastic baggies to put your license in, they do a paper license and tag system that is all hand written (unless that has changed in the past two years). I had a tag get destroyed from a leaking water bottle.
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #24
tward1604
Eight Point
 
tward1604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: wherever I can
Default

this is a dream hunt for me
tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2017, 07:55 AM   #25
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point
 
AZST_bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cypress, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward1604 View Post
this is a dream hunt for me
Not crazy hard to set up. They have 3 over the counter bow seasons per year. Starts in Jan, then again in August, then again in December. The guys that are going in Jan can go in august or december as well (if they don't tag out)
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 03:55 AM   #26
Homer75
Eight Point
 
Homer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Jackson co slamming piggies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatterson View Post
Headed over there for the same hunt in January. Can't beat the tag prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What unit are you going to be at when youíre there?

Iím all kinds of fired up about this trip.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 06:12 AM   #27
bowhunt3
Eight Point
 
bowhunt3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Tx
Hunt In: Medina County, Bandera County
Default

Good luck
bowhunt3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #28
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default AZ Coues Hunt

I only have a 2 wheel drive, but also have a Ranger I can trailer out there. I've been talking about this for a couple years, but can't seem to figure out if I can drive the Ranger around on the dirt roads or not. Anybody know the answer to that one?
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #29
Homer75
Eight Point
 
Homer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Jackson co slamming piggies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1005 View Post
I only have a 2 wheel drive, but also have a Ranger I can trailer out there. I've been talking about this for a couple years, but can't seem to figure out if I can drive the Ranger around on the dirt roads or not. Anybody know the answer to that one?
Just asked my buddy in AZ and he said not in the hunt areas. Iím surprised about that because in Montana itís not an issue.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #30
Homer75
Eight Point
 
Homer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Jackson co slamming piggies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
Not crazy hard to set up. They have 3 over the counter bow seasons per year. Starts in Jan, then again in August, then again in December. The guys that are going in Jan can go in august or december as well (if they don't tag out)
Also, sense I bought my license in September I can hunt the August season without purchasing a new license, not exactly sure if I would have to purchase the August tag.
Iíll take plenty of picís and if thereís a enough good video Iíll link it too.
If I donít kill this hunt I might try the August season and if anyone wants to go let me know.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 11:28 PM   #31
quackadikt
Eight Point
 
quackadikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
Also, sense I bought my license in September I can hunt the August season without purchasing a new license, not exactly sure if I would have to purchase the August tag.
Iíll take plenty of picís and if thereís a enough good video Iíll link it too.
If I donít kill this hunt I might try the August season and if anyone wants to go let me know.
I'm pretty sure it's one deer per calendar year. If you kill in Jan, you have to wait until the following Jan to get another tag. If you go for the December hunt and kill, you can wait until Jan 1 and buy another tag and keep hunting.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
quackadikt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2017, 06:25 AM   #32
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point
 
AZST_bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cypress, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
Also, sense I bought my license in September I can hunt the August season without purchasing a new license, not exactly sure if I would have to purchase the August tag.
Iíll take plenty of picís and if thereís a enough good video Iíll link it too.
If I donít kill this hunt I might try the August season and if anyone wants to go let me know.
You will have to buy a new tag for the 2018 season. One deer per calender year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2017, 10:27 PM   #33
Homer75
Eight Point
 
Homer75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Jackson co slamming piggies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackadikt View Post
I'm pretty sure it's one deer per calendar year. If you kill in Jan, you have to wait until the following Jan to get another tag. If you go for the December hunt and kill, you can wait until Jan 1 and buy another tag and keep hunting.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Youíre correct, Iím here for the January archery hunt and Iíll need to purchase a new license if I still have a deer tag in December. Maybe thatís a better way of saying it?
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2017, 11:29 PM   #34
quackadikt
Eight Point
 
quackadikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Maybe, but I was under the assumption that licenses were the same as tags? So I thought that in your shoes that you would be fine for the Aug/Sept and Dec hunt if you don't kill in Jan. But I might be wrong.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
quackadikt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #35
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point
 
AZST_bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Cypress, Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
Youíre correct, Iím here for the January archery hunt and Iíll need to purchase a new license if I still have a deer tag in December. Maybe thatís a better way of saying it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackadikt View Post
Maybe, but I was under the assumption that licenses were the same as tags? So I thought that in your shoes that you would be fine for the Aug/Sept and Dec hunt if you don't kill in Jan. But I might be wrong.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yes you will need a new hunting license but not tag (if you purchased a tag in Jan), tag is good for one year from date of purchase, same with license. If i'm not mistaken, you purchased your license in September, so you are good for the August hunt (which I don't recommend).

Quack, in AZ license and tags are two separate things, many guys carry multiple tags. You can get elk, deer (archery only), and bear all over the county and will have 3 separate sheets of paper about 3" by 8". And if you get any of them wet, then you will have to buy a new one for an additional 10 dollars. AZ is way behind when it comes to tags and licensing. They are mainly still hand written and use carbon copies unless you buy online.
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #36
quackadikt
Eight Point
 
quackadikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
Yes you will need a new hunting license but not tag (if you purchased a tag in Jan), tag is good for one year from date of purchase, same with license. If i'm not mistaken, you purchased your license in September, so you are good for the August hunt (which I don't recommend).

Quack, in AZ license and tags are two separate things, many guys carry multiple tags. You can get elk, deer (archery only), and bear all over the county and will have 3 separate sheets of paper about 3" by 8". And if you get any of them wet, then you will have to buy a new one for an additional 10 dollars. AZ is way behind when it comes to tags and licensing. They are mainly still hand written and use carbon copies unless you buy online.
Guess I could have written that better. I thought that a license was calendar year just the same as the OTC archery deer tags.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
quackadikt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #37
buxNdux
Eight Point
 
buxNdux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Lubbock, Mason, Goldthwaite
Default

License is good for 365 days, deer tag is good for calendar year. Buy Jan 1, 2018 good till Dec. 31 2018. If you buy one Sept. 2018 it is good till Dec. 31, 2018. Tags have calendar year they are good for on them..
buxNdux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #38
Gherkin05
Ten Point
 
Gherkin05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Blanco Co.
Hunt In: NM,CO,TX
Default

Sounds like a good hunt! Keep us posted and best of luck.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com