Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #51
Eagle19
Ten Point

Hunt In: Every where in Texas

Bill your wish might've came true. Trailer wheel just about fell off this weekend. So the axle I've been putting off replacing is going to have to be changed out. So it should make the trip down there. My boat doesn't run crazy shallow but I think it can handle down there.

With all that I'm waiting to see how this weekend goes. If I sell a bunch of custom houses I may not have the time off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eagle19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #52
LuBowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Real County, Chambers County, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Nebraska

If I have boat then I'll drag down and hang out. Know the area really well.
LuBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #53
em12
Ten Point

Hunt In: Meridian

I’m almost in enough to send my deposit- waiting to hear back with confirmation from my buddy if he can go too. If so it will be 2 of us and we will most likely need a boat ride. First, is there enough lodging? Second is there enough room on a boat for the 2 of us? I have my year old lab that I will bring unless preferred for me not to.
em12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 07:00 AM   #54
Bill's Unlimited
Ten Point

Hunt In: None - focusing on other things (daughter's apartment and lab retriever training)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle19 View Post
Bill your wish might've came true. Trailer wheel just about fell off this weekend. So the axle I've been putting off replacing is going to have to be changed out. So it should make the trip down there. My boat doesn't run crazy shallow but I think it can handle down there.

With all that I'm waiting to see how this weekend goes. If I sell a bunch of custom houses I may not have the time off.

Sorry to hear about trailer problems, glad you are ok. I'm not sure I remember the wish but hope you get it repaired to make the trip!

Also, hope you sell a bunch of custom house and PLAN the time off in advance...
Bill's Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #55
Bill's Unlimited
Ten Point

Hunt In: None - focusing on other things (daughter's apartment and lab retriever training)
Default 6th annual W.O.R.P. TOUR IN P.O.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by em12 View Post
Iím almost in enough to send my deposit- waiting to hear back with confirmation from my buddy if he can go too. If so it will be 2 of us and we will most likely need a boat ride. First, is there enough lodging? Second is there enough room on a boat for the 2 of us? I have my year old lab that I will bring unless preferred for me not to.

Get with Tiny (Ben) on deposit and lodging. I am confident the group can find more lodging if necessary, as the deposits are collected and current houses are filled this can be addressed.

I know a few of the regulars on this trip and myself have boats and safe space becomes a factor in this trip. After making this event the past 3 seasons I broke down and bought a flats boat with the primary purpose of duck hunting. I think I speak for everyone when I say we encourage anyone interested in attending that has a (legal) boat they are comfortable taking into the bay to bring it, often we follow each other to areas we have had success in the past. We like for everyone to have a good time.

Regarding the lab, if it has some training and isn't going to bolt the other direction when shots are fired it is probably OK, I know people like to hunt with me (only) because they are hunting with Deuce. If it's a female make sure she isn't in heat unless you want her bred! We have had some young dogs in the past, 3 years ago nobody in the group had hunted with mine (he does have some training). The other thing to be aware of is they are not allowed in the houses so make sure you have a kennel for them, mine has a cover and I put bedding in it for him considering the temp at night. Last word of wisdom is to invest in boots for the lab and put them on so they bet used to them, there are a lot of oysters and it will tear up some pads - I learned that the hard way my first year.

I think the continued success to this event is that everyone is there with a single goal, have fun and hopefully shoot some birds while doing it!

Old 10-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #56
em12
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's Unlimited View Post
Get with Tiny (Ben) on deposit and lodging. I am confident the group can find more lodging if necessary, as the deposits are collected and current houses are filled this can be addressed.

I know a few of the regulars on this trip and myself have boats and safe space becomes a factor in this trip. After making this event the past 3 seasons I broke down and bought a flats boat with the primary purpose of duck hunting. I think I speak for everyone when I say we encourage anyone interested in attending that has a (legal) boat they are comfortable taking into the bay to bring it, often we follow each other to areas we have had success in the past. We like for everyone to have a good time.

Regarding the lab, if it has some training and isn't going to bolt the other direction when shots are fired it is probably OK, I know people like to hunt with me (only) because they are hunting with Deuce. If it's a female make sure she isn't in heat unless you want her bred! We have had some young dogs in the past, 3 years ago nobody in the group had hunted with mine (he does have some training). The other thing to be aware of is they are not allowed in the houses so make sure you have a kennel for them, mine has a cover and I put bedding in it for him considering the temp at night. Last word of wisdom is to invest in boots for the lab and put them on so they bet used to them, there are a lot of oysters and it will tear up some pads - I learned that the hard way my first year.

I think the continued success to this event is that everyone is there with a single goal, have fun and hopefully shoot some birds while doing it!

Sounds great on the housing, I have spoken with Tiny via pm and will get back with him.

Who has spots available on their boat right now and how many spots are available.

My pup is a male and I have worked with him since day one then sent him off for 3 months, he is young but acts right and does well so he will not be a nuisance by any means.

Thank you sir!
Old 10-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #57
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason County, Texas

I know my boat can carry 4-5 guys depending on their size. Last year it was me, Bill, Paul and eagle19. Me and Bill are big Ol' boys and Paul and Eagle are average. Also had deuce and my boat did fine till the actuator failed but we made it back in.

Right now it's me and Paul in my Boat and Bill and Duece in his

Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #58
LuBowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Real County, Chambers County, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Nebraska

Looks like I will have my rig back by then.
LuBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #59
Bill's Unlimited
Ten Point

Itís not all about hunting, pretty good eating happens too!

Old 10-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #60
em12
Ten Point

Alright guys my cousin in law and I are in. I’ll send Tiny a pm to find out where to send our deposit. Would like to claim 2 spots on a boat- were both around 225ish and I’ll have my lab with me as long as the boat owner is good with that. Super excited!
Old 11-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #61
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny's taxiderm View Post
6th or 7th, can't remember W.O.R.P. (war on redheads and pintails)TOUR IN THE BEAUTIFUL PORT O'CONNOR TEXAS to be held the last weekend of duck season January 27&28th,however, some of us get down there the Thursday before...

The worp tour is a wonderful event that has brought tbhers from all over the state down for a fun filled weekend of duck hunting and story telling with new friends.

This year we will be taking a $50 deposit for all that are going to assure you a bed to sleep in. If you have a boat worthy of running in the bay please bring it. Let's make it happen. We currently have 3 places booked, one of which is already full, can get more if needed.
PM sent
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 06:40 AM   #62
tiny's taxiderm
Ten Point

Hunt In: lavaca and colorado countys

Pms returned, sorry for the delay, between work and opening weekend of rifle season I haven't had much time on here. I'm ready for the hunt to be here already
tiny's taxiderm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #63
Bill's Unlimited
Ten Point

Looking forward to getting out on the water soon!

Old 11-12-2017, 10:31 AM   #64
hopedale
Ten Point

Quote:
Pms returned, sorry for the delay, between work and opening weekend of rifle season I haven't had much time on here. I'm ready for the hunt to be here already

I can relate. Work has been crazy of late.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #65
tiny's taxiderm
Ten Point

Ok everyone, this thing is getting closer and deposits are rolling in. Work and hunting has had my life busy busy the last few weeks, just ready for the hunt to be here and hopefully make a hunt before hand as well. If at all possible I would like to receive all deposits before or around the first of the year so we can have enough housing for everyone, also if you are bringing a boat please let me know either through a pm or here on the thread itself, if you need a ride please do the same thing. Hope everyone is ready for this nice cool weather headed down this week. Hear from y'all soon
Old 12-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #66
str8shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Franklin Co. - Fish in Alaska

Tiny - PM inbound.
str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #67
tiny's taxiderm
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
Tiny - PM inbound.
Steve, pm'ed you back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #68
em12
Ten Point

Tiny we were just talking about this trip yesterday and were wondering if we have any more specifics on timing or anything- place were staying, just any details- if not no worries- really looking forward to this one and meeting a bunch of our fellow TBH'ers!
Old 12-05-2017, 05:53 AM   #69
Bill's Unlimited
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by em12 View Post
Tiny we were just talking about this trip yesterday and were wondering if we have any more specifics on timing or anything- place were staying, just any details- if not no worries- really looking forward to this one and meeting a bunch of our fellow TBH'ers!

I talked to him the other day. Sounds like we have a couple of our regular places reserved and probably needing a third. This is why there was the post about getting deposits in so there is a good head count and he can get accommodations.

Timing is the last weekend of the season, typically Friday to Sunday.

It sounds like itís going to be a good turnout this year. If you havenít contacted Tiny do it soon. And donít forget to let him know if you have a boat capable of the bay or if you will be a boat rider.

Good luck to everyone who is hunting the split opener this weekend! I hope to make a couple trips to POC before the WORP!

Old 12-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #70
DoubleGProstaff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Checking my schedule, but am going to try and make it this year Iíll know in the next couple days.

DoubleGProstaff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #71
DoubleGProstaff
Ten Point

Tiny sent you a pm brother.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #72
charrell71
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin and DeWitt Counties

I know fargus and I will be needing a ride.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
charrell71 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #73
fulldraw_529
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jackson Co.

I'll probably have room for 1 or 2 guys

Banded Drake Custom Calls
fulldraw_529 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2017, 01:23 AM   #74
DoubleGProstaff
Ten Point

Iím seriously thinkin about it. My friend who is a waterfowl guide may join me. Hereís a few specks i shot on my last hunt.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #75
Russ81
Pope & Young

Anyone go opening of the split? Been in the deer woods myself

Old 12-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #76
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Russ. I've fished and the birds have made it down.
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #77
Eagle19
Ten Point

Who do I pay? I'm in.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #78
Russ81
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle19 View Post
Who do I pay? I'm in.

PM Tiny he'll square you away, you needing a ride again this year?

Old 12-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #79
str8shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Franklin Co. - Fish in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ81 View Post
Anyone go opening of the split? Been in the deer woods myself
Yepper. Me and Sid took the airboat down and stayed at the barndo. Lots of birds and quite a few hunters. Around Fish Pond and Mule Slough there were a lot of birds. We killed a few up in Pringle Lake right before the split. Just talked to Ross an hour ago and he's seeing a lot of birds as well.
str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #80
RockTippedStick
Eight Point

Hunt In: Liberty, Tyler, Polk and Clay counties

I'm in. Have a place that can sleep a couple extra but it's down near Charlie's near seadrift. Might be easier to stay in POC. We going to carpool Jarrett? I will probably head down Thursday. I will send Tiny a PM
RockTippedStick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 06:01 PM   #81
RockTippedStick
Eight Point

Hunt In: Liberty, Tyler, Polk and Clay counties

I will probably need a ride in someone's boat too. Have a ton of decoys down there.
RockTippedStick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #82
Bill's Unlimited
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockTippedStick View Post
I'm in. Have a place that can sleep a couple extra but it's down near Charlie's near seadrift. Might be easier to stay in POC. We going to carpool Jarrett? I will probably head down Thursday. I will send Tiny a PM

When you contact Tiny make sure you confirm what your doing about a place to stay in addition to needing a ride. I personally like staying in POC close to where we put in.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #83
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
PM Tiny he'll square you away, you needing a ride again this year?

Iím thinking about bringing mine down this year.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:49 AM   #84
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockTippedStick View Post

Iíll text you

Old 12-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #85
Russ81
Pope & Young

Lord with this many folks committing I might find a portable burner and bring the discada and breakfast too the shoreline

Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #86
Bill's Unlimited
Ten Point

Quote:
Lord with this many folks committing I might find a portable burner and bring the discada and breakfast too the shoreline

Sounds like a plan to me!!!

Old 12-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #87
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:

Iíve got a Coleman I can bring

Old 12-15-2017, 10:58 PM   #88
Fargus
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt

As a WORP greenhorn, what's the story on decoys? I have some pins, teal, mallards and coots. I have feeling that mallards won't be worth the effort. I also have a decoy sled.
Fargus is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2017, 11:08 PM   #89
Bill's Unlimited
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
As a WORP greenhorn, what's the story on decoys? I have some pins, teal, mallards and coots. I have feeling that mallards won't be worth the effort. I also have a decoy sled.

Decoys are welcome. I know my boat will have plenty of Lifetime Decoys Teas rugged decoys onboard.

Mallards are making their way down to the coast this year and could be a filler- especially the hens. (But tread lightly on the calls)

The sled may land you a spot in Tinyís boat. They are a great tool, I now have 2 and Russ got one after seeing how they make things easier last year!

Worst case, the extras donít get wet so bring what you think can help!

Old 12-16-2017, 07:07 AM   #90
Russ81
Pope & Young

I'd leave the teal, coots and mallard drakes. Less is more this late in POC

Old 12-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #91
tiny's taxiderm
Ten Point

Ok guys, tomorrow I will be on here and making out a list of who has boats and how many they can safely carry, will also be making a list of who all needs a ride, from the looks of it we will need every boat possible, and how many houses/beds we need, i will be returning pms tomorrow as well, my step grandfather passed away tuesday and the funeral was today so my mind has been other places.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #92
Bill's Unlimited
Ten Point

Quote:
Ok guys, tomorrow I will be on here and making out a list of who has boats and how many they can safely carry, will also be making a list of who all needs a ride, from the looks of it we will need every boat possible, and how many houses/beds we need, i will be returning pms tomorrow as well, my step grandfather passed away tuesday and the funeral was today so my mind has been other places.

Sorry to hear if your loss Ben. Let me know if there is something I can do to help you

Old 12-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #93
em12
Ten Point

I'm sorry for your loss brother- take care of your family, we can wait
Old 12-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #94
tiny's taxiderm
Ten Point

Ok, I'm back, I'm making out my list of boats going and how many they can carry safely, if you are bringing a boat please shoot me a pm with how many you can safely carry. For example if you are fine with yourself and 3 others please state it " me and 3 others" so I don't get confused lol. Also making a list of people needing a ride based on deposits I currently have( did not check mail friday or saturday) will return the pms I missed this past week. Thanks, Ben
Old 12-17-2017, 05:32 PM   #95
brunner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca/Comal County

Iíll get the other lodging lined up once we have a good deposit head count.

No deposit = you will have to locate your own lodging.

Please PM Tiny with your info on boats and if you will be sending a deposit to lock in your lodging

brunner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #96
Italianxbowuser
Eight Point

Hunt In: SHNF and Centerville

I'm in...look forward to this trip all year
Italianxbowuser is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #97
hopedale
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianxbowuser View Post
I'm in...look forward to this trip all year

This will be my fist, and having seen the post of past years, I'm pretty pumped up myself.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #98
bowman82
Four Point

If I can find coverage at the station, I’m down to go. I have a boat and decoys
bowman82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #99
TXSTBowhunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Llano, Lockhart and anywhere else I can

I'm super interested. I'd bring my dad and my lab Tank, who is just getting ready to finish up his gun dog training at Best Retrievers. I will talk to my dad but hopefully confirm soon.
TXSTBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #100
Bill's Unlimited
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTBowhunter View Post
I'm super interested. I'd bring my dad and my lab Tank, who is just getting ready to finish up his gun dog training at Best Retrievers. I will talk to my dad but hopefully confirm soon.

My MH was trained be Rody, first class training. Tell Rody and Kristin that Bill and Deuce said hello.