Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #51
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

I have a 2017 F350 with the 6.2 gas engine. I also had a 2016 F250 with the 6.2 gas engine but needed more payload because I haul a truck camper. I absolutely love the 6.2 engine and average 12.5 MPG's combined towing/hauling, city and highway.

The payload on my F250 was 2490 lbs and the payload on my F350 is 4226 lbs. The only reason I bring this up is because if you plan on hauling more weight, the price difference between the 3/4 and 1 ton is very little. Also, I have good things about the new transmission in the F250 for 2017 and beyond but with the F350 you get the heavier transmission.

It really depends what you are going to do with the truck but my experience is has been very good. I will also say that at least where I live here in the rocky mountains, over the past couple of years you are seeing a lot more 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with the gas engines on the roads.
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #52
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraftka View Post
For pulling, a manual tranny is always better for sure. You can put way more miles on it if you pull alot vs. an auto.

Really need to watch that trans temp with the autos.

Maybe many years ago in a galaxy far away.......

Auto trans is the way to go now. Currently Ram is the only manufacturer offering a manual trans available. And in the diesel they lower the hp/TQ (a lot) because the clutch wonít hold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #53
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
I have a Ď04 F250 V10. The best mileage I have ever gotten is 12.5. I have pulled some pretty heavy loads with it and had no problems other than having to stop at every other station for gas. I have never checked the mileage pulling a load, but I would bet it is around 6-7.

That being said, the normal maintenance costs of the gas engine is so much less than the diesel that I couldnít justify it.

Please explain what maintenance is so much more expensive on a diesel.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #54
Wayno
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Please explain what maintenance is so much more expensive on a diesel.

Oil change for starters.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #55
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

I have had every type Chevrolet truck made since the mid 1990's , I really have to say the 6.0 3/4 ton is probably perfect for my use , however I did enjoy having my 2005 duramax (pre DEF) it was chipped and a beast!! Butthe new diesel trucks are just way to complicated now ! if GMC still put a vortec 8.1 in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks again !!M oh what a total beast
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #56
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

Quote:
Oil change for starters.
It’s costs me 87 dollars to change my oil every 8,000 miles at the Chevy dealership for my duramax, my gasser would cost me 40-50 and only last 3,000 miles
160class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #57
Bumpy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160class View Post
Itís costs me 87 dollars to change my oil every 8,000 miles at the Chevy dealership for my duramax, my gasser would cost me 40-50 and only last 3,000 miles
The oil change argument is non valid. Diesels go way longer in between oil changes so you aren't spending as much. Also instead of running out buying a new gasser it would be cheaper and better purchase to buy a used diesel. Get the price point you want an overall durability. You can pick up a nice used diesel for 20k that is recent and is cheaper than a 30k + gasser.
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #58
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

I love my 13' f250 cc 4x4 LWB 6.2 gasser. I came from driving diesels starting with the 6.9 IDI's. I have no regrets at all going back to gas. My F250 will pull everything that I want. Heck I have overloaded it and so for so good. When I bought mine in 13 there was a 10-11k difference in price on the XL model work trucks. Then you got figure in the finance charges on that 10-11k upcharge for the diesel. To me there is no way it made dollars and cents to me. Plus these gassers are putting out the torque that the late 90 to 2000 diesels did. The gassers are no slouch by any means. I just turned 100k and truck still runs like a beast, no emission problems, no deletes are any of that mess, Just jump in and go. FOr the 10k upcharge along with the finance charges that would come along with that, a person could buy and new Nissan Versa for 2nd vehicle and get 40 mpg.
Its really to bad that the regulations have screwed up the diesel trucks the way they have
brushtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 10:22 PM   #59
Rtbean1140
Four Point

Hunt In: Beaumont, Boerne, Lubbock

I have a 2012 F250 gasser. While it can pull everything I need it to, it takes a whole lot longer to get up to speed than my dads 2012 F250 diesel. When loaded down, I dread every on ramp I encounter and it feels like I am having to stop at every gas station to fill up. I will be towing a lot more in the future so my next truck is a diesel.
Rtbean1140 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #60
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

My current truck is a 17 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Probably my favorite engine I've owned so far, and I have had a few.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 06:40 AM   #61
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Oil change for starters.

I pay $80 for full synthetic changes at my local dealership. Full synthetic on my wifeís car is $65. Meh not enough difference to complain about.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:42 AM   #62
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post
The oil change argument is non valid. Diesels go way longer in between oil changes so you aren't spending as much. Also instead of running out buying a new gasser it would be cheaper and better purchase to buy a used diesel. Get the price point you want an overall durability. You can pick up a nice used diesel for 20k that is recent and is cheaper than a 30k + gasser.

The only $20k diesels Iíve seen for sale are 12-15 years old or older.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #63
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

Quote:

With 200K+ on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #64
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Life is short, buy the diesel...
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #65
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

I left a 2012 Ram 2500 with the diesel for a 2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi, and I don't regret it at all. It has the get up and go and lots of power. Gas mileage is about the same as my 2012 diesel. Ride is much smoother as they went with different front end. I have no regrets going from diesel to gas. Really thought I would. I don't do any seriously heavy pulling.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 12:40 PM   #66
Russ79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches county, San Augustine county, Beaufort county NC

I have a 2003 F250 with a 5.4 that has 286,000 miles on it with little or no problems thru all of those 286,000 miles. She is semi-retired right now but still runs good. I don't remember exactly what the gas mileage is but my philosophy has always been that if you want to drive a pickup, gas mileage really isn't high up on your "gotta have" list. If you want gas mileage drive a Prius...
Russ79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 12:57 PM   #67
Wayno
Ten Point

Quote:
I pay $80 for full synthetic changes at my local dealership. Full synthetic on my wifeís car is $65. Meh not enough difference to complain about.

Obviously, Iíve never owned a diesel, but I always understood they hold 12 quarts of oil (my V10 holds 6) and the filter was twice the size of the standard gas one. Since I always change it myself, I was just looking at the price of materials. Maybe Iím wrong...wonít be the first time.

Also, I change my oil every 5,000 miles, not 3,000 like we used to on the older vehicles. I know a lot of the newer gas engines recommend even longer than that.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #68
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I have a gas 2500. I love it - especially when I fill up and my gas is 40 cents cheaper per gallon. And oil changes are cheaper. I got 14 gallons per mile in 2000 when it was brand new. At 225K miles, I still get 14 miles per gallons.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #69
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

I drove a 98 Cummins then a 2000 Cummins both 3/4ton 4x4. I traded the 2000 for a half ton ford. I hated the half ton. it felt like a car and just didn't do what I needed. I kept it less than a year and went to a 2014 6.4 hemi 3/4 ton. I liked the hemi. it drove well and pulled well. it just never felt like my diesels. I traded it a month ago on a one ton Cummins 2018. for me a diesel just does a better job at everything. oil changes on the hemi were within 40 bucks of the cummins and every 5k. the cummins is every 10k
Javelin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #70
toledo
Eight Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by acameron52 View Post
life is short, skips the diesels of this world and retire early...
fify
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #71
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

My 6.4 Hemi asks for an oil change every 7-8k miles(I can't remember which one). Price is the pretty much same as a diesel for the most part since it drinks 0w40 full synthetic.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #72
eliteweldingco
Ten Point

Hunt In: grayson

Diesel is nice to have but not worth the extra cost for just pulling toys around. Unless your toy is a large toy hauler.
eliteweldingco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #73
brandon123
Eight Point

I have a '15 2500 Z71 with a 6.0. I LOVE this truck. It pulls my 34' 5th wheel just fine and rides super smooth.

brandon123 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #74
Mike D
Pope & Young

Default 3/4 ton gassers

Quote:
Obviously, Iíve never owned a diesel, but I always understood they hold 12 quarts of oil (my V10 holds 6) and the filter was twice the size of the standard gas one. Since I always change it myself, I was just looking at the price of materials. Maybe Iím wrong...wonít be the first time.

Also, I change my oil every 5,000 miles, not 3,000 like we used to on the older vehicles. I know a lot of the newer gas engines recommend even longer than that.

Iím not trying to berate you, I just hear people say that maintenance is so much more expensive and I just like to see their perspective. I currently own a diesel and have owned both gas an diesel and Iíve only found there to be about 10-15% higher cost overall on a diesel and itís mainly in oil changes and fuel filters.

But it isnít as drastic as some people like to make it out to be.

I used to have my oil tested. When I ran Amsoil in my 7.3L diesel I would run it to 25k miles with a filter change around 12k miles.

Oil always tested good. I only changed the oil 5 or 6 times in 110k miles of ownership.

Last edited by Mike D; 04-17-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #75
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:

2 years ago a local dealership gave me $18.5k for my Ď07 Dodge diesel that needed $1k of body work, and transmission work as well. And the dealership knew about the problems.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #76
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon123 View Post
I have a '15 2500 Z71 with a 6.0. I LOVE this truck. It pulls my 34' 5th wheel just fine and rides super smooth.

What gears do you have in this one?
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #77
mattjproc
Six Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon123 View Post

I have a 15 z71 with the 6.0 and I like it a lot but rides like crap compared to my tundra.
mattjproc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #78
stickemhard3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mont. County and Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
I have Ford F250 6.2 gasser. I'm averaging 12-15 in town if I'm not pushing it. Has plenty of power towing for me.
Same here. I hauled my travel trailer and never even knew it was behind me. I haven't hauled a real heavy load yet but I am very happy with it.
stickemhard3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 03:28 PM   #79
Stykbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
I have a gas 2500. I love it - especially when I fill up and my gas is 40 cents cheaper per gallon. And oil changes are cheaper. I got 14 gallons per mile in 2000 when it was brand new. At 225K miles, I still get 14 miles per gallons.
Yikes...can't afford 14 gallons per mile.

Last edited by Stykbow; 04-18-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Stykbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #80
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraftka View Post
For pulling, a manual tranny is always better for sure. You can put way more miles on it if you pull alot vs. an auto.

Really need to watch that trans temp with the autos.
Not in today's world. I would be willing to bet if most on here bought a manual transmission, most would burn the clutch out in a heartbeat! I have driven both and the auto will be way better in the long run than a clutch!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 06:19 PM   #81
JonW
Six Point

Hunt In: Tennessee, Ohio, Texas

Quote:
Oil change for starters.
What does an oil change for a gas engine cost? Mine is 2002. I've driven the 5.4 Triton and there's NO WAY it would compare in power or fuel economy. From what I remember the V-10 got better fuel milage and had adequate power.

I wonder how many 325K+ gas engines from 5.4 or V10 are still on the road today?

Last edited by JonW; 04-18-2018 at 06:23 PM.
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #82
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactownfuzz View Post
There's been a lot of talk on here recently about diesels and the need or lack of need for them. I'm going to be purchasing a new truck 3/4 ton truck in the near future.

Those of you who have a 3/4 ton gasser, do you wish you'd gone diesel? I feel like 90% of my use a gas truck will be fine, so I don't know that the cost increase for the diesel will justify itself when I do pull the occasional trailer or heavy load. Anyone have any 3/4 ton gas tips or things I should be aware of?
I've posted this multiple times on various truck threads...I just retired my company truck last month right after bownanza with 335,000 miles from a 2011 6.0 Chevy.

I only pull 10% of the time...I personally would not go diesel unless I could afford to gamble the wnty of a full delete & pulled more often. I actually wasn't aware but keep hearing how these new diesels are no longer good idling for long periods of time?? Assuming this is because of the def crap??

I drive 300-400 miles a day on average & not uncommon for me to start it in the AM & not shut her off till I'm back home....especially now with the heat. The rule 'used' to be the gassers would be the one to overheat during our awful summers if they sat idle for extended periods, while diesels were actually happier at idle.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top