Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #301
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1369 View Post
The Major and I are rigged up and ready for tomorrow.



Attachment 901997


I don’t think y’all need luck but I will wish y’all well. Have a cold NM brew post march.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #302
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas
Default

Have fun tomorrow... embrace the suck!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #303
1369
Pope & Young
 
1369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County
Default

Thanks all. Clouds have rolled in and are supposed to stay tomorrow. Wind is still up though.
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 09:23 PM   #304
1369
Pope & Young
 
1369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County
Default

Back in the room. Made the goal of breaking nine hours. Came in at 8:57.
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 09:34 PM   #305
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1369 View Post
Back in the room. Made the goal of breaking nine hours. Came in at 8:57.
Nice!!



Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 11:55 PM   #306
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1369 View Post
Back in the room. Made the goal of breaking nine hours. Came in at 8:57.


Awesome job Sir!
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #307
Geoff995
Six Point
 
Geoff995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Snyder, Tx
Hunt In: Scurry Cty.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1369 View Post
Back in the room. Made the goal of breaking nine hours. Came in at 8:57.
Good job. It was nice getting to meet you.
Geoff995 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #308
1369
Pope & Young
 
1369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff995 View Post
Good job. It was nice getting to meet you.
How’d y’all do out there yesterday?
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #309
Geoff995
Six Point
 
Geoff995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Snyder, Tx
Hunt In: Scurry Cty.
Default

Good. It was tough. Have you ever had a major difference in the time that they log for you and your actual time on the course? Mine and Kyles times were off by an hour compared to time we recorded on gps. I finished in 8:18 and their website shows 9:22. Kinda odd.
Geoff995 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 08:51 AM   #310
Jacobs117
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Lewisville
Hunt In: Looking
Default

This was my first experience at the Bataan Memorial Death March. I went with a group and we did the March together. It was a fantastic and challenging experience. I don’t want to spiritualize it but it was very impactful. I learned a ton about the history and what those guys dealt with. It was an honor to suffer the tiny amount comparatively to memorialize the “*******s of Bataan”.
I ran the Dallas marathon and I have to say I don’t know which was more difficult physically. They are so different. But...overall, it was awesome. Congratulations to the other guys here that completed it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jacobs117 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #311
1369
Pope & Young
 
1369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff995 View Post
Good. It was tough. Have you ever had a major difference in the time that they log for you and your actual time on the course? Mine and Kyles times were off by an hour compared to time we recorded on gps. I finished in 8:18 and their website shows 9:22. Kinda odd.
You’re probably seeing the difference between “gun time” and “chip time”. The 9 hours is from when the event started and you finished. The 8 hours is from when your chip crossed the start line and finish line. 8:18 is strong work and an awesome time! Congratulations!
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #312
Geoff995
Six Point
 
Geoff995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Snyder, Tx
Hunt In: Scurry Cty.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobs117 View Post
This was my first experience at the Bataan Memorial Death March. I went with a group and we did the March together. It was a fantastic and challenging experience. I don’t want to spiritualize it but it was very impactful. I learned a ton about the history and what those guys dealt with. It was an honor to suffer the tiny amount comparatively to memorialize the “*******s of Bataan”.
I ran the Dallas marathon and I have to say I don’t know which was more difficult physically. They are so different. But...overall, it was awesome. Congratulations to the other guys here that completed it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. The last 6 miles was single handedly the toughest physical thing I have ever done and one of the toughest mental challenges as well.
Geoff995 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #313
Geoff995
Six Point
 
Geoff995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Snyder, Tx
Hunt In: Scurry Cty.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1369 View Post
You’re probably seeing the difference between “gun time” and “chip time”. The 9 hours is from when the event started and you finished. The 8 hours is from when your chip crossed the start line and finish line. 8:18 is strong work and an awesome time! Congratulations!
Thanks. We didn’t even cross the start line until 8:25am. We went through the line to greet the survivors. Very powerful experience meeting those men.

Last edited by Geoff995; 03-26-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Geoff995 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 09:23 AM   #314
1369
Pope & Young
 
1369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff995 View Post
I agree. The last 6 miles was single handedly the toughest physical thing I have ever done and one of the toughest mental challenges as well.
The “sand pit” has a habit of getting in your head.
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #315
Geoff995
Six Point
 
Geoff995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Snyder, Tx
Hunt In: Scurry Cty.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1369 View Post
The “sand pit” has a habit of getting in your head.
That’s an understatement. Lol.
Geoff995 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 09:09 PM   #316
1369
Pope & Young
 
1369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County
Default

Next one on the list. September 2018

http://blackhillsveteranmarch.com
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #317
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Rucked a bit last few days. Traps are a bit sore. I am assuming this will go away as those muscles get used to carrying some weight. Any thoughts from you experianced guys would be great.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 08:08 PM   #318
1369
Pope & Young
 
1369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Rucked a bit last few days. Traps are a bit sore. I am assuming this will go away as those muscles get used to carrying some weight. Any thoughts from you experianced guys would be great.
How far you going? Your traps will get used to the load but long distance is gonna hurt regardless. If you’re going long, pre load ibuprofen the night before and then right before the ruck and during. Won’t kill the pain, but it helps.
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #319
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1369 View Post
How far you going? Your traps will get used to the load but long distance is gonna hurt regardless. If you’re going long, pre load ibuprofen the night before and then right before the ruck and during. Won’t kill the pain, but it helps.
Not too far ( about 4-5 miles) just trying to get started. I want to start doing some moderate distances on some hills and rocky terrain. Sometimes I am afforded an opportunity to do it while working. Down side is I can't use a pack that straps around the waist as my "tool" belt prevents that.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #320
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas
Default

Trap soreness goes away as you adapt. Only pain that triggers a reduction in load and volume for me is lower back pain. Honestly, I rarely strain that area now.


Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #321
1369
Pope & Young
 
1369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Dry Creek Ranch-Real County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
Not too far ( about 4-5 miles) just trying to get started. I want to start doing some moderate distances on some hills and rocky terrain. Sometimes I am afforded an opportunity to do it while working. Down side is I can't use a pack that straps around the waist as my "tool" belt prevents that.
Yea, 4-5 miles your traps will adjust. Going without a hip belt will force your traps to “shoulder” the load. That’s the rig I run, no belt.
1369 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 06:03 AM   #322
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point
 
BLACKFINTURKEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Marion,Texas
Hunt In: Marion,Texas
Default

My wife and I started rucking this week, I started with 35lbs and she with 15. But we need some good packs! I did 4 miles one day and my waist belt broke on my cheap pack. So far I’ve done about 6 miles.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a couple bags that won’t break the bank?
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 07:16 AM   #323
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
My wife and I started rucking this week, I started with 35lbs and she with 15. But we need some good packs! I did 4 miles one day and my waist belt broke on my cheap pack. So far I’ve done about 6 miles.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a couple bags that won’t break the bank?
For 35# loads, you want something that packs well, has some rigidity along the back and pretty good straps. The 5.11 Rush 12 is what I have and like. Small enough to not sag and big enough to get some weight in it. At $80 or less, I think it is a good deal.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com