Shackelford County rut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shackelford County rut?

Anyone know when the rut typically starts in Shackelford County? I’m on a lease out there (first time being on lease). I’ve got pictures of a few shooters but they’re always at feeder between 12am - 3:00am. I’ve had does come in during daylight hours but no bucks, yet. I’ve been trying to hunt every weekend and will continue until season ends. Any knowledge that you’re willing to share is greatly appreciated.

Late November to early December is typically the peak. You should be there as much as possible for the next couple of weeks.

Comment

The bucks have been running does for the past week. The pattern we were seeing is no more. Our place is split on the shackelford/Throckmorton line. May not be the same every where up there but on our place they’re already running. My buddy’s are hunting this weekend and said they’re still pushing, we’ll be headed up in the morning.

Comment

I think the peak breeding occurs between Nov 15th and Nov 25th. Pre-Rut and the highest success on rattling for us is usually the 5th-15th.

Comment

We killed 2 bucks this wknd on our lease near Moran in southern Shack. Both bucks were searching hard - one was killed at 4 pm 250 yds downwind of a feeder and the other at 10 am. Movement really picked up after 8 am. Headed back out tomorrow.

Comment

Thank you for the information much appreciated. Had plans on going out this weekend but now I’ve got to drive to NC. Have a family emergency!

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Family first- hope everything turns out ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Charrison View Post
                We killed 2 bucks this wknd on our lease near Moran in southern Shack. Both bucks were searching hard - one was killed at 4 pm 250 yds downwind of a feeder and the other at 10 am. Movement really picked up after 8 am. Headed back out tomorrow.
                Have you seen pics of the 163" LF 8 point that was killed around Moran this past weekend? Unreal.. And thats 163" with a 5 " broken brow...

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                  Have you seen pics of the 163" LF 8 point that was killed around Moran this past weekend? Unreal.. And thats 163" with a 5 " broken brow...
                  I'd like to see that pic! We hunt east of Moran

Comment

Back from NC will be out at the lease this weekend. Wish me luck! Would love to see the pictures of the Moran buck!

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                      I have not but would like to see it!

Comment

Originally posted by flcrkr View Post
                        Back from NC will be out at the lease this weekend. Wish me luck! Would love to see the pictures of the Moran buck!
                        Do any good this past wknd?

Comment

No, was covered up in cows. Had to run them off�� there were three of us out there one took a doe. Have some nice pictures of a couple of bucks but still coming in after dark.

Comment

Working...
                          X