Which pistol caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which pistol caliber?

I am trying to thin the herd on my pistols and get into the same caliber, I am interested in bulk ammo buys. I like the 40 caliber myself. I feel the 9mm is the right choice just due to ammo. So which way do you go?

9mm for me. I can shoot it faster, more accurately, I compete with it, its cheaper to shoot, high mag capacity, large bullet selection that performs well.

Comment

Comment

9. There's no reason to shoot a .40 any more

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
          9. There's no reason to shoot a .40 any more
          why not

Comment

9mm

Always available, cheap to shoot, and it’s a NATO round if SHTF.

Comment

9mm for me.

Comment

Sell, sale, sail me all your .40’s
                Make me an offer I can’t refuse
                Ca$h speaks
                ��

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailtrail View Post
                  9mm for me. I can shoot it faster, more accurately, I compete with it, its cheaper to shoot, high mag capacity, large bullet selection that performs well.
                  Yep, 9mm. Easier to shoot faster, more accurately. Shot placement is what gets it done.

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
                    why not
                    I was being inflammatory, as there are obviously great guns and good defense/practice ammo readily available in .40

But there's nothing to gain for me over a 9 running hst's. If I want to lose cap or have to move to a larger frame and up my recoil I'm going to 10mm where the terminal gains are more measurable.

Comment

I watched a video the other day as to why the FBI went back to using the 9mm. The cliff notes were the 9mm typically has a bit more penetration due to its slightly smaller diameter of the hollow point rounds when the round expands vs a .40 round. The .45 caliber had a touch more recoil, which admit it or not causes people to flinch more than when shooting a 9mm. Not to mention higher magazine capacity vs 40 or 45. The video also stated that knockdown power (unless compared to larger caliber rounds (10mm, 44 magnum, ect) is a myth. If someone is on PCP for example, it does not matter what caliber round you shoot them with, they will not stop until vitals are hit. It also stated that follow up shots are more important than overall power of the caliber. With caliber size being the only variable, follow up shots with the 9mm tend to be more accurate than the other calibers. Then of course there is the cost of the ammo(9mm being the cheapest on average).

So even though the 9mm is the weaker round, it’s pros outweigh the cons.

Do I believe the video? Well, I’m not an expert so I really can’t back up any of this. Give it another 15-20 years and the FBI will probably switch to another caliber again.

Comment

I have a 9mm and a .40.
                        I carry the 9 and the .40 lives in the safe.

DJ

Comment

If I could only have one caliber for a defensive handgun it would be 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I like and use my 9mm pistols. They get the job done

Comment

"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"

"A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.''

Clint Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X