Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 04-08-2018, 02:37 AM   #1
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County
Default Thoughts on this rifle?

I have the itch for a new deer/hog rifle. I've had the same Ruger 270 for about 20 years. No other rifles.

What do y'all think about this in 6.5 CM or 7mm08? Worth the extra to get it threaded?

https://aprifles.com/products/premiu...mountain-rifle

Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 03:48 AM   #2
Thegutman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Del rio tx

The 7mm-08 will shoot just about the same as your .270 just with a lot less recoil. Out to 400 yards in my opinion the 7mm-08 is the better rifle but past that the 6.5 will out perform them all.
Attached Images

Last edited by Thegutman; 04-08-2018 at 03:58 AM.
Thegutman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 04:15 AM   #3
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

That's pretty sweet.. Get you one and go with the 7mm08. I wouldn't thread it.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

That is a nice rifle. If I could only have one
gun, that one in a 7í08 would be awesome.

I have shot my .270ís for many years.
No complaints. Just bought the T/C
Compass 6.5 creedmore. $220 at carters country
In Houston. Already threaded. Deer and Hogs gonna hate
this cheap gun I didnít need. Especially if I ever decide
Use the threads.

BP
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
catslayer
Pope & Young

7-08 of those two... shoot heavier bullets
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #6
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

You will love that rifle. I prefer 7-08 for hunting but there is more quality factory ammo choices for the 6.5 CM
bboswell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #7
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

That's a very good looking rifle for sure and the two calibers mentioned are very popular these days. I tend to lean towards the "common" calibers that are readily available in Podunk USA if needed.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #8
tazhunter0
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps7742 View Post
That's a very good looking rifle for sure and the two calibers mentioned are very popular these days. I tend to lean towards the "common" calibers that are readily available in Podunk USA if needed.
I do the same thing when picking a new caliber. Just picked up a 308 and looking for 7.62x39 in a bolt gun.
tazhunter0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #9
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I think your 270 is about to get lonely!!

You will love a set up like that regardless of caliber choice...i personally don't like threaded / suppressed guns unless they are 16" or less as they just get too clumsy for my kind of hunting. You need a 22-24" tube & the can would take away the handiness of the mountain aspect.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #10
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Both are great ...if your reloader both are great...Factory ammo for 7-08 most common..
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #11
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

The 7mm-08 and 6.5 CM are my two favorite calibers. I'd not hesitate to take either sheep or elk hunting but I'd probably lean toward the 7mm-08 for elk. 6.5 CM factory ammo options are much better, as mentioned above.
I'd have it threaded for a muzzle brake but I wouldn't put a suprressor on a 22" barrel.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #12
bowhuntermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado

Nice looking rig but honestly there are some factory guns out there these days that shoot lights out for 1/3 the money. I bought my son a Ruger American Predator in 6.5, got rid of the sloppy trigger, free floated the barrel, and put a 4.5-14 Leupold VX 3 on it. Legit sub .75 MOA rifle with the Hornady 143 factory ELD-X ammo, for around $1k including glass and a Timney Trigger. Just a thought if you are looking for a lightweight all around rifle that won’t break the bank.
bowhuntermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #13
Sika
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntermac View Post
Nice looking rig but honestly there are some factory guns out there these days that shoot lights out for 1/3 the money. I bought my son a Ruger American Predator in 6.5, got rid of the sloppy trigger, free floated the barrel, and put a 4.5-14 Leupold VX 3 on it. Legit sub .75 MOA rifle with the Hornady 143 factory ELD-X ammo, for around $1k including glass and a Timney Trigger. Just a thought if you are looking for a lightweight all around rifle that wonít break the bank.
I just bought one for a buddy's kid.
Did you do the trigger yourself? I want to modify the trigger on my Ruger Hawkeye FTW but our local gun shop doesn't work on Ruger triggers.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #14
bowhuntermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado

I purchased a drop in replacement for it.
https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/...RFIRE-P66.aspx
bowhuntermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #15
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I have that same rifle, well sort of.
I had APR build me a .308 with a threaded barrel.
It is one of my favorites suppressed
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #16
kc5rkg
Six Point

Hunt In: South TX

I got in on the APR TBH special and went with a 7-08. My intended use is a deer/hog gun for 400 yards or less.

Don't let ammo availability steer you away. There are plenty of great factory ammo choices for the 7-08. Federal has 8 different offerings for the 7-08, Hornady has 6 and then there is Remington, Winchester, Barnes, HSM, Swift, Nosler, Norma, Browning, etc.
kc5rkg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #17
Sika
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5rkg View Post

Don't let ammo availability steer you away. There are plenty of great factory ammo choices for the 7-08. Federal has 8 different offerings for the 7-08, .
Mine shoots 1/2 moa with Federal Vital Shock ammo in 140 grain. I haven't been impressed with that bullet's performance on game though. If it doesn't hit bone it doesn't seem to expand at all. I killed over 20 deer and a few hogs with it last season and many of them had very small exit holes leaving little to no blood trail. Might try the Nosler partition this season.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #18
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sam

I know nothing of that gun all I know is a 270, shooting corelokt ammo, there is a night and day difference between 130gr vs 150 gr. The 130 would leave tiny holes and very little blood loss, while I find the 150 to be a great round and gets it done.
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #19
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

My two cents: The 7-08 is a great all around cartridge for Texas. I prefer the .280 Rem but that’s a personal thing, kinda like brunettes or blondes. The threaded rifles don’t turn me on unless it’s very short. Otherwise they will be banging on everything. I wouldn’t put a brake on it either. Not enough recoil for the increase in muzzle blast.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #20
kc5rkg
Six Point

Hunt In: South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
Mine shoots 1/2 moa with Federal Vital Shock ammo in 140 grain. I haven't been impressed with that bullet's performance on game though. If it doesn't hit bone it doesn't seem to expand at all. I killed over 20 deer and a few hogs with it last season and many of them had very small exit holes leaving little to no blood trail. Might try the Nosler partition this season.
The Nosler Partition is a proven bullet and I don't think you could go wrong with it. My dad shoots Federal Fusion 140gr in his 7-08 and so far it has performed well on game. I wish Federal offered the 7-08 with a Sierra Gameking bullet. I use that bullet in my 30-06 and it has always performed great! HSM does offer the Sierra Gameking in 7-08, but the only problem is you pretty much have to buy those online.

When I get mine I am going to try a few different types of ammo and see what the rifle likes. I know I am going to try Fusion, HSM Gamekings, and the Hornady ELD-X.
kc5rkg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #21
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Iíve never EVER owned a rifle with a spiral fluted barrel...always looks like itís wearing its rifling on the wrong side.

That being said....thatís SEXY!

Good luck Bobby. A man of your stature should surely own one!!!
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #22
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

Why???
Spend the money on DOING something with the ones you have rather than putting another gun in the safe.
I got an itch Thursday and Friday for a CZ full stock 22. I already have several really good ones that the CZ would have a hard time out shooting. What I need is time to use them and not buy something else to have to fiddle with.
I got over the itch.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #23
14JKURX
Ten Point

Nothing wrong with the 270 but if you get a new rifle get the 7mm08.
14JKURX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #24
Sika
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I wouldnít put a brake on it either. Not enough recoil for the increase in muzzle blast.

I like being able to watch my impacts through the scope
Totally a matter of personal preference though. I can see why a lot of people donít like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #25
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
Totally a matter of personal preference though. I can see why a lot of people donít like them.
It's the noise for me...if a quick shot is needed on a yote, I'll be swinging the rifle.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #26
mdnabors
Ten Point

Hunt In: Weatherford & Kansas

APR is building me one as we speak. 7mm-08 with 1:9 twist and 20” ratchet fluted barrel on TBH build. I mulled over 7-08 vs 6.5 and ended in 7-08. I may never take a shot over 400yds at an animal. The 6.5cm sounds great too but everyone was getting them so I went against the grain so to speak... Cannot wait to get it. You’ll be happy either way. Good luck on decision
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #27
MarkV
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnabors View Post
APR is building me one as we speak. 7mm-08 with 1:9 twist and 20Ē ratchet fluted barrel on TBH build. I mulled over 7-08 vs 6.5 and ended in 7-08. I may never take a shot over 400yds at an animal. The 6.5cm sounds great too but everyone was getting them so I went against the grain so to speak... Cannot wait to get it. Youíll be happy either way. Good luck on decision
I just was struggling on the same decision but went the same as you because of that. Dropped all my stuff off with the gunsmith Friday. 7-08 with 20" shilen barrel with 1:8 twist. Can't wait to get it back.
MarkV is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #28
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:

The Partition is one of my long time favorite hunting bullets but donít expect big exits with them. By design the front part of the bullets expands reliably with or without hitting bone but usually peels back to just the base before exiting.

Iím my experience there will be small entrance, massive trauma in the middle and a small exit but an exit dang bnar 100% of the time.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #29
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

I’ve spent a lot of time behind both. That said. I’d choose the 7-08 or the creedmoor all day long.
hoyt21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #30
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is why I shoot suppressed. Best of everything. Recoil Reduction as well as sound protection.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #31
Chew
Pope & Young

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not a "gun guy". Like I said, I have one 270 and also a Marlin 3030. That's it. But I'm finally at a point in my life where I don't feel as guilty spending money on something I want. I'm probably going to be helping manage an MLD ranch in Kerr county with the opportunity to shoot several whitetail and axis each year.

If I don't get an elk on this year's archery hunt, I will probably be going back with a rifle.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Chew; 04-08-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #32
Artos
Pope & Young

These sort of rigs can turn you into a gun guy Bobby...hopefully it won't become a full blown disease like it is for some of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
To thanks for all the input guys. I'm not a "gun guy". Like I said, I have one 270 and also a Marlin 3030. That's it. But I'm finally at a point in my life where I don't feel as guilty spending money on something I want. I'm probably going to be helping manage an MLD ranch in Kerr county with the opportunity to shoot several whitetail and axis each year.

If I don't get an elk on this year's archery hunt, I will probably be going back with a rifle.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #33
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not a "gun guy". Like I said, I have one 270 and also a Marlin 3030. That's it. But I'm finally at a point in my life where I don't feel as guilty spending money on something I want. I'm probably going to be helping manage an MLD ranch in Kerr county with the opportunity to shoot several whitetail and axis each year.

Good luck on the elk hunt and send steaks !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #34
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

If you were only going to shoot axis and whitetail, I'd stick with the 6.5 Creedmoor. But moving up to the 7mm-08 gives you a lot of versatility. Load that with a 120 Tipped Triple Shocks at 3100 fps (or an Accubond or Partition or similar bullet or a cup and core at 2800 fps) and you're killing elk out to 400 yards (which is about 150 yards further than I probably need to be shooting them at), and the recoil will be less than your .270 now.

LWD
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #35
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

I like that rifle. However, I just purchased a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 X 55 and if it were me I'd buy the Fieldcraft in 7/08 with the threaded 18 inch barrel, if you ever wanted to shoot suppressed. If not, they also have one with a 21 " barrel. It will cost you less than the APR.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 12:27 PM   #36
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

Quote:

Top suggestion is to get it threaded. Next get 18 or 20" max barrel length unless you are planning on shooting very long range at paper, like over 600 yards. Third, if you don't have a suppressor, get one. Caliber really depends on how you plan to use the gun, but with elk I would look at 7mm WSM or 300 WSM
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #37
TexasTealHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: North / Central Texas

I likey the kryptek
TexasTealHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #38
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

You should have got in on the TBH build! Id say 7 08 especially if you think youre gonna travel to elk country with it. If you go to the CM, I have a 7 mag you can borrow for the elk (not that either of your choices wont kill one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paisano View Post
Why???
Spend the money on DOING something with the ones you have rather than putting another gun in the safe.
I got an itch Thursday and Friday for a CZ full stock 22. I already have several really good ones that the CZ would have a hard time out shooting. What I need is time to use them and not buy something else to have to fiddle with.
I got over the itch.
The only way to get over a gun itch is to buy one. Life is too short for a half empty safe
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #39
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

I have been pondering the same thing myself. I was looking at factory ammunitions and not reloading for it. There is only a couple of factory loads in the 7mm-08 that will have more energy at a distance than the 6.5 CM will. That being said that doesn't mean the rifle you buy will shoot those loads worth a crap. If you go 7mm-08 try and get a 1:9 twist instead f 1:9.5 it will help to shoot heavier bullets. The factory 6.5 CM loads don't surpass the energy of the 7mm-08 until about 500yds or so if I remember right so under that distance especially 100-300yds the 7mm-08 packs a bit more punch than the 6.5 CM does. Factory loads for both are close enough in price I wouldn't worry to much about that but variety and selection of ammunition may be more plentiful with the 6.5CM. You can't go wrong with either one.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #40
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
I have a 7 mag you can borrow for the elk (not that either of your choices wont kill one)
This, either of the rounds you mention well kill an elk with a well placed broad side shot But personally if I'm going on an out of state elk hunt with limited time to get it done then I want a rifle with enough power and penetration that I'm comfortable with a less than perfect shot angle
Old 04-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #41
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Oy, a 7-08 vs. 6.5 CM thread. They're both ideal for what you want. Neither is good for elk. Both are easy to find in stores, although 6.5 CM is taking over the world at this point and the selection of .264 hunting bullets is amazing. You can't go wrong with either, and neither has a real edge.

I wouldn't consider a new rifle that wasn't threaded.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #42
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Personal preference for me would be the 6.5CM because I like it better than the 7-08.

Quote:
I got over the itch.
Is there something you can take to get the itch back? I sure hope I never lose my itch lol.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #43
texaspacker
Six Point

Hunt In: Nota

Do it!!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
If you like it get it.
Sounds like your fishing for someone to talk you outa getting it.
IMO the 6.5 Creedmoor "fad" has come and gone.
Thread or not to thread? Are you going to put something on the end? Do some "homework" on a BOSS you can even get one with a built in muzzle break. Ka-Boom!
Don't paint yourself into a corner just incase you want to sell it some day.
IMO don't get some "weird" caliber or finish.
Wood is good.
Don't listen to me. I'm an idiot?
Semper fi.
God bless!

Last edited by texaspacker; 04-09-2018 at 05:14 PM.
texaspacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #44
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazhunter0 View Post
I do the same thing when picking a new caliber. Just picked up a 308 and looking for 7.62x39 in a bolt gun.
Check out the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #45
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young

I'd be fine with either caliber.

I would go threaded for sure....because why not.

In my opinion APR goes way overboard with all the spiral fluting on almost every gun they make. I'd go with some straight fluting.
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #46
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

One of these days I WILL have an APR, probably a 25-06.

That is all.
Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #47
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:

I met four dudes that were culling for the chupadero once. They all shot .25-06 for the combination of flat shooting and low recoil. That being said, you can't go wrong with your choices.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #48
Chew
Pope & Young

It's on like chicken and cone...

Paying my deposit tomorrow!
Old 04-12-2018, 10:41 PM   #49
bboswell
Pope & Young