2015 Pushmataha County Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B G View Post
    We already have 2 different bears hitting the corn and protein feeder on camera. Hoping those wild horses don't find them any time soon. MWW982, I may hunt your feeders this next week if I get up there.

arrowslinger, we are between Snow and Rattan.

Any body on the CG land plant any food plots? If so, what to you have luck getting to grow. Looking at doing a clover mix next year in a few of our clearings.

I put in 2 or 3 food plots each year. See the 2014 thread for pics. We use a blend of wheat, rye and forage oats. The plots did pretty well last year. I fertilized them when I put out the seed. The does we're hitting them like clockwork. We will be putting them in the late Aug or early Sept. Need to time to rain.

Here is the last feeder I tried to run to get my kids on some does. This guy wrecked my thrower. Planning on getting a bit more innovative this year. My daughter has asked to kill a deer (1st time she's asked) rather than just go and sit in the stand with me. I'm on a mission for her.

Here she is checking out her little brother's blind that we are building.

Will be setting it up the first weekend in August when we go up to start our DMAP spotlight surveys.

Comment

Good deal Booner! I will be pulling for the young lady!

Comment

One of the food plots last year.

Comment

Read through the entire 2014 Pushmataha thread.

Forgot a lot of what went on. That thread is chock full of good info for anyone hunting the area for the first time.

Comment

We had a great weekend with a couple buddies from church. I have a couple new bucks on camera this trip. We have only seen the bear one and no hogs.

Last edited by Guns_up; 07-20-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Went to LeFlore county this weekend, to do some scouting and put out my game cam. Just like everywhere else in E.Okla, plenty of forage and all the deer I have seen are fat and healthy.

Comment

Booner, we don't have the any equipment other than hand tools to do plots with so we will have to do small plots and perennials so they will hopefully last a few years. Anyone use the throw and grow stuff with any luck?

Comment

Originally posted by B G View Post
                  Booner, we don't have the any equipment other than hand tools to do plots with so we will have to do small plots and perennials so they will hopefully last a few years. Anyone use the throw and grow stuff with any luck?

B G, I don't have experience with throw and go plots. We use the Kabota and 5' disc.

That said, I recommend Bill Winke's "Poor Man Plot" series from Midwest Whitetails. He does a great job in showing, step by step how to do this.

If you do one, please share through posts and pics.

Good luck.

Comment

Is it too late to put out salt licks? I haven't had as much time as I thought I would to go to my WMA and set cameras. Thinking about just hanging some mock scrapes in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Ron, I don't think it's too late for the mineral sites. It would have been much better to have them out all year but better late than never.

Not sure about what hanging mock scrapes will do at this point. Don't see a point. What are your thoughts on this?

Comment

I was under the impression, maybe falsely, that deer hit scrapes year round. I know of some big scrapes where I found a lot of sign last year, thought if I put up a mock scrape I could get some pictures of the bucks that were making all the sign.

If I can get up there and put out a few mineral blocks, will deer still hit them up even though everything is really green?

Guess I'm just trying to figure out what will bring me the greatest success of getting pics of deer so I can start taking some inventory and narrowing down my setup options.

Comment

Booner, I've watched all of those videos and he has some really good info in them. That and other videos like them is why I was looking at the clover because it is supposed to be more shade tollerant. Plus I can get it cheap in bulk at Justin Seed Co. Gonna be a lot of the small poor man plots in the pine thickets next year on our lease!

Comment

Going up this weekend to work on a couple small plots. Pictures to come. Hopefully more pictures of bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                              I was under the impression, maybe falsely, that deer hit scrapes year round. I know of some big scrapes where I found a lot of sign last year, thought if I put up a mock scrape I could get some pictures of the bucks that were making all the sign.

If I can get up there and put out a few mineral blocks, will deer still hit them up even though everything is really green?

Guess I'm just trying to figure out what will bring me the greatest success of getting pics of deer so I can start taking some inventory and narrowing down my setup options.

I'm no biologist. It is logical that there will be some scraping activity throughout the year. I've not thought of mock scrapes as being tools for taking a census of the local herd. When you try this keep us in the loop in the results. I've heard of people using cams set up on corn piles for this. I've not had much luck with anything other than using salt and mineral blocks for this. The deer on our place respond well to them.

We will be heading to the mountains next weekend. Looking forward to cycling those cams.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post

I get protein blocks once a month and everytime I set them out I'm covered up with deer. I never had much luck with them in Texas put they seem to work very well in Ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X