Seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    You do understand that ONLY the voters can decide to build that stadium, right?

Curt is absolutely right! If the school boards would build the necessities they wouldn’t be constantly tryin to pass $100mil bonds every 5 years. I vote against every time because I know what they really want to do with the money. Also, why are we paying coaches $120k a year as well as admin? That’s my money and I know 90% of them aren’t worth that much! One of the ****tiest assistant high school baseball coaches is now a principal? He should be flipping burgers!

Comment

The voters in Baytown, GCCISD, just voted against two bond proposals that totaled $413 million. The proposals were thrown together in a short amount of time by a selected committee and put on a special ballot last May at a very high cost to taxpayers.
      Prop B was for a $60 million building to hold graduations in, but they would rent it out for dance/cheer competitions.
      Prop A did have 2 elementary and one Jr High school proposed, but didn't include buying land. The remaining $350+ million was for items such as i-Pads for every student K-12 (that only last 4-5 years), $30 million field house for coaches to watch film, but mostly M and O items that should have already been paid for, but the money already in that budget is being used to pay interest on the bond from 2013.
      Citizens are asking for a forensic audit to find out where all the money is going. The district doesn't get any state money because the district says they can tax the citizens to get more money.
      The district couldn't tell us how much our taxes would go up, they would tell us after it was passed???

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
        Just imagine if vocational classes were put back in school and some could learn a little about real world application of using your hands and brains.

That is happening now, at Allen, and at Keller, that I know of. And it's a great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
          And more sensible folks might realize that running a restaurant is the best foodservice and retail education you can get, and that hands-on journalism training using real equipment is the best journalism education you can get, and a set up offering dual college credit is the best education you can get and gets those educated kids into the workforce quicker and more prepared.

Or you could go with the cookie cutter schools that turned out tons of millenial kids that can (mostly) to plain old math and english and can’t seem to get a job and move out of their parents’ basements. They sure know a lot about football though...

I agree. I was just playing devils advocate, in that situation.

My home town of Keller has put in a really nice "vocation center" for lack of a better term. And I think it's a great idea.

Keller has never had a great football program either...at least not since I've been alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
            Just imagine if vocational classes were put back in school and some could learn a little about real world application of using your hands and brains.
            Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            That is happening now, at Allen, and at Keller, that I know of. And it's a great idea.

We're sponsoring a program right now with our local school district with curriculum and hands on experience in civil construction. It includes reading plans, equipment operation, surveying and layout, safety, estimating, material purchasing and project management. It's in its infancy, but we have great hopes that it'll teach some valuable trades to the young men that want to go straight into the workforce.

Comment

We're sponsoring a program right now with our local school district with curriculum and hands on experience in civil construction. It includes reading plans, equipment operation, surveying and layout, safety, estimating, material purchasing and project management. It's in its infancy, but we have great hopes that it'll teach some valuable trades to the young men that want to go straight into the workforce.
              Have you looked into partnering with Mike Rowe Works?

Comment

It doesn't surprise me at all that you are in on something like that. I'm a member of a council of folks in my business, and we collectively are supporting similar programs.

I know you already know this, but we are in the middle of a labor crisis right now. There are too many kids getting college degrees that just don't pay off. They don't want to really work, And we just don't have enough "legal" guys who will do the actual work.

I don't know the real solution to the problem, but I do know that it's going to cost EVERYONE more money pretty soon. And if the wall builders get their way...I'm gonna pass the losses on to them....and they are NOT going to like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  It doesn't surprise me at all that you are in on something like that. I'm a member of a council of folks in my business, and we collectively are supporting similar programs.

I know you already know this, but we are in the middle of a labor crisis right now. There are too many kids getting college degrees that just don't pay off. They don't want to really work, And we just don't have enough "legal" guys who will do the actual work.

I don't know the real solution to the problem, but I do know that it's going to cost EVERYONE more money pretty soon. And if the wall builders get their way...I'm gonna pass the losses on to them....and they are NOT going to like it.

If congress would get their heads out of their asses, a foreign worker permit program could help improve a lot of things including the "legal" worker shortage situation. Additionally, no welfare to able bodied people would help the same situation.

There are plausible solutions out there, we just have the most none functioning set of legislators ever!!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                    I get all that. My question is why does Allen only have one high school? Other large ISD's in the State (like Katy, mentioned in this thread) have half a dozen or more high schools.

Seems Allen should be good at just about everything being like 3X's the size of an average 6A high school.
                    Allen used to be larger in physical size. Quite a bit of the land was annexed to Plano and Frisco. By doing this, the population per square mile stayed low enough to keep from having to build another HS. It keeps the super team intact.
                    Originally posted by brandonsbird02 View Post
                    It's not only allen that plays in that stadium. They host alot of other games as well. They also host other events there as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
                    Everyone keeps saying this. I live close enough to hear the PA system, bands and such. From my house, I have to drive by the stadium to get to just about everywhere. I never hear any of these other events. Every once in a while there will be a track meet or soccer game. I've never noticed any other teams playing when the Eagles are at away games either.

Comment

Fact is, no one at the board level cares about education beyond getting butts in seats for the tax dollars. A big set of society couldn't care less either about education. When a functional illiterate that happens to be able to throw a ball comes along, people swoon over them. Heck look at all the football threads. Does anyone care that a lot of those kids are "earning" a useless degree? Nope, but they can sure run fast. Gotta keep building big stadiums to show how awesome we are. Meanwhile everything else is falling apart, no one learns a trade, teachers suffer, and the tax payers keep getting screwed.

Comment

If these stadiums bring in so much money. Why don't they just get a loan to build them? No need to have a bond election. Bond elections are for projects that won't ever pay for themselves.

Comment

That's awesome and good on you for sponsoring.

If it isn't part of the curriculum now add the importance of "doing what you say you're going to do when you say you're going to do it". Seems like none of the trades understand the importance of completion dates anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            If these stadiums bring in so much money. Why don't they just get a loan to build them? No need to have a bond election. Bond elections are for projects that won't ever pay for themselves.
                            A bond issue is the exact definition of a loan.

The bond buyer agrees to loan the school district money for a set period of time with the promise of the funds being paid back at a set interest rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Surely you don’t plan to vote for the democrat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              I would vote for a anyone with a beating heart before Dan Patrick, he is a complete jerk who hates public education...

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                                I would vote for a anyone with a beating heart before Dan Patrick, he is a complete jerk who hates public education...

If you think a democrat will do any better you are delusional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X