? about arrow weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? about arrow weight

Ideal Arrow weight for Deer, Mule Deer, Elk in a western situation?

Im shooting a 390 grain currently, being told a 410-420 is where I need to be for mule deer and elk.

What says the Green Screen?

10 gpi is the gold standard in many peoples mind. I tend to agree, and I like to get as much FOC as possible.

Just for the record not trying to start the extreme FOC debate. lol

Comment

My goal is always over 500. I actually try to keep it around 550

Depends on draw length and bow thought. I am fortunate to have a long draw length, so I can easily get arrow weight up pretty high.

Comment

i think 390 is fine, but i would prefer the heavier arrows, mine weigh 410 grains

Comment

I shoot 675 at everything. No such thing as too much penetration. Lots of deer killed around 400 though

Comment

This is like asking what’s your favorite ice cream flavor. Lol. Mine is 500ish. Never had a problem with penetration. I do have a problem with finding arrows though.

Comment

sorry i'm pulling 70# bow at 26.5" draw length.

hard to get really heavy and still have some sort of speed

Comment

Honestly I don't think you will notice one differance between 390 and 420. I was shooting 420 and bumped it up to 480 still don't see any differance really. I was getting pass throughs 95 percent of the time with 420 ( even less) and still get about 95 percent. But I feel the 480-500 can't hurt, and it does seem to be quieter, so it's what I will stick with ,until I get a hair to try something different. If your not getting pass throughs, I would suggest a differant broadhead. If you are I wouldn't worry about it, unless you want to try something differant.
                If your shooting gold tips ( I believe some others offer them also) they make a fact weight system you can add weight to the back of your insert. You don't have to unglue any thing or buy new inserts. They sell a long extension Allen wrench, and you add the weight by removing the nock, screwing them in, and replace your nock. I have both 20 gr. and 50 gr. weights I play around with. It so easy to add and remove with out messing up your insert or shaft. I lose 4 fps with every 20 gr. I add. ( roughly).
                Last edited by critter69; 06-26-2018, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Without researching and based on “western” and your DL/poundage. 425

Comment

I'm going to New Mexico in September and our outfitter said he asks his clients to shoot a minimum of 425 gr.
                    I shoot 60lbs. at 28.5" and my arrows are 432 gr. so I'm gtg.

Comment

Mule deer aren't any tougher then whitetail. I have actually found them to be softer then whitetail when they have an arrow in or through them. I have only killed 3 mule deer with a bow but all were down within 70 yards.

I shoot Beman 400s with 100 grain Slick tricks on elk and Rage or Slick Tricks for WT/Mule Deer.

Comment

? about arrow weight

I’m currently at 505gr and 17% FOC but I’m waiting on components for my next build:

Black Eagle X-Impacts in .300 spine, 180gr Ethics Archery outserts with 125gr Slick Trick Mags. Total arrow weight should be around 555gr with a FOC of 24% out my 60lbs/27.5” bow.

Personally, I’m not concerned with speed.
                        Last edited by Outlaw_6; 06-26-2018, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                          sorry i'm pulling 70# bow at 26.5" draw length.

hard to get really heavy and still have some sort of speed

All speed does is make you miss faster!!!! I shoot and kill critters all the time, and my longbow is right around 170fps.

What you have will work, but a little more weight will only help in situations where the extra penetration might be needed!!!!

The most important thing though, is that your setup is well tuned!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                            Mule deer aren't any tougher then whitetail. I have actually found them to be softer then whitetail when they have an arrow in or through them. I have only killed 3 mule deer with a bow but all were down within 70 yards.

I shoot Beman 400s with 100 grain Slick tricks on elk and Rage or Slick Tricks for WT/Mule Deer.
                            the mule deer I've killed (with a rifle) and seen killed have been a lot tougher than a whitetail.

they take multiple shots to anchor. First one I shot took 3 from a .257 wby mag

Comment

Got invited to shoot a mule deer last year, asked if I could take my bow. They said the shots will be too far for a bow. We drove by numerous bucks that I could have shot lol. Ended up shooting my first one at 364 yards, he took three rounds from my Weatherby 7mm mag. They tough to me lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X