No announcement yet.

Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just ten ringed a cow at 50 yards, didn’t pass through. Hopefully the arrow got in the vitals, looked to be close to falling out as I lost sight of her. Giving it time, I got help on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brown E View Post
      Good job. Let us know how you got it out. Good thing the weather is a bit cool.
      That is a whole other story in it self! Two of us carted out the front half about a 1080 yards. Ouch! And the other two pulled the hind quarters off and tied them to a large mesquite branch and shouldered them out 1300 yards! Several breaks were taken and many curse words shouted but we got it all out in surprisingly not a terrible amount of time. I didn't get a pic of the massive hind quarters on a stick, but did get a cart pic. The pics don't do justice on how massive this thing was! As hard as it all was, I would do it again tomorrow! That's what it's all about right? Pushing your limits and working hard for that earned sense of accomplishment!
      Last edited by TXFireFighter; 12-10-2017, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
        Just ten ringed a cow at 50 yards, didn’t pass through. Hopefully the arrow got in the vitals, looked to be close to falling out as I lost sight of her. Giving it time, I got help on the way.

Heck yeah! I hope you find her brother. Good luck! Tough animals!

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
          Heck yeah! I hope you find her brother. Good luck! Tough animals!

Giving her a good amount of time since I didn’t get a pass through. Time of impact was 10:45, probably give her about hour and a half total before I pick up the trail.

Comment

Giving her a good amount of time since I didn’t get a pass through. Time of impact was 10:45, probably give her about hour and a half total before I pick up the trail.

For sure! Last thing you want to do is push her further. Wish we were still around, I'd help you track.

Comment

Well that answers my previous question with the pic of the nilgai on the cart.

Comment

Congrats bud, yes give it plenty of time if you can.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Well guys, did not end up finding her. Let me walk you through how the day went.

Started the day watching a mowed lane that I sat yesterday and missed a nilgai. This morning had two nilgai cross down wind of me and that’s all the action I had. At 10 I decided to make a loop back to my jeep so I took the long way to see if I could find anything moving. Found some fresh nilgai poop that was still warm so I kept moving forward, I’m walking a mowed trail and I see a nilgai in my peripheral vision. I drop to the floor and get my bag off my back. She hears me but can’t see me, I’m sitting waiting and I see a doe right in front of her. Doe takes off and I decide to close the distance. I get to about 70 yards and I Can’t see her anymore, a coyote comes walking in front of me towards where I last saw her and she starts to drive the coyote back towards me. She scared off the coyote. She got to 50 yards and I watched her eat the huisache tree for like ten minutes. Finally she steps into the shooting lane and I lay a perfect 12 ring at 50 yards. I watched her run for about 30 yards and I can see my arrow about to fall out. I backed out for 2 hours before we went in to trail. Ended up trailing for thousands of yards and only came across a handful of drops of blood and could not find my arrow. Shot her with a rage hypodermic and I’m not impressed, will be switching to fixed blade heads now. I’m back in my stand to hope for a last minute doe before the hunt is over.

Comment

Well guys, did not end up finding her. Let me walk you through how the day went.

Started the day watching a mowed lane that I sat yesterday and missed a nilgai. This morning had two nilgai cross down wind of me and that’s all the action I had. At 10 I decided to make a loop back to my jeep so I took the long way to see if I could find anything moving. Found some fresh nilgai poop that was still warm so I kept moving forward, I’m walking a mowed trail and I see a nilgai in my peripheral vision. I drop to the floor and get my bag off my back. She hears me but can’t see me, I’m sitting waiting and I see a doe right in front of her. Doe takes off and I decide to close the distance. I get to about 70 yards and I Can’t see her anymore, a coyote comes walking in front of me towards where I last saw her and she starts to drive the coyote back towards me. She scared off the coyote. She got to 50 yards and I watched her eat the huisache tree for like ten minutes. Finally she steps into the shooting lane and I lay a perfect 12 ring at 50 yards. I watched her run for about 30 yards and I can see my arrow about to fall out. I backed out for 2 hours before we went in to trail. Ended up trailing for thousands of yards and only came across a handful of drops of blood and could not find my arrow. Shot her with a rage hypodermic and I’m not impressed, will be switching to fixed blade heads now. I’m back in my stand to hope for a last minute doe before the hunt is over.

Awe that sucks man. Keep at it , you might get lucky again

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
                        Awe that sucks man. Keep at it , you might get lucky again

Just had five does coming into my setup but they came in down wind and made me.

Comment

Nilgai Fajitas anyone?

Comment

Dang man I'm sorry to hear you didn't find her. I know how you feel. I shot mine at 18y broadside, I was for sure she was done. Crazy tough animals. We were lucky to end up with one out of 4 of us.

Comment

Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
                              Dang man I'm sorry to hear you didn't find her. I know how you feel. I shot mine at 18y broadside, I was for sure she was done. Crazy tough animals. We were lucky to end up with one out of 4 of us.

What side did you shoot her on? Reason I’m asking is because this one had a broken right shoulder, could it have been yours?

Last edited by Jmsck12; 12-10-2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know if we are supposed to fill out a survey or anything after the hunt? Want to make sure I’m able to go in the future and don’t want to be prevented by not filling out any forms after the hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X