homebrew Varmit Cages - CHEAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

homebrew Varmit Cages - CHEAP

I happen to be walking through the housewares section at the SuperTarget in Humble, Tx and saw a storage kit that would make GREAT varmit cages! The storage kit comes with 21 panels which is enough to make 4 cages. Each panel is 14-1/2" x 14-1/2". It would be nice if the openings were smaller, but for the price its a compromise. (You can always just wrap some "chicken wire" on the outside to keep them from reaching in). They kit costs $19. That is less than 1 cage at the sporting goods stores. I used bailing wire to tie the panels together and aluminum strips for the attachment tabs. Thought I would pass along this cheap way to combat the coon problem.

Good luck!

Louie
    Attached Files
    Last edited by louieagarcia; 11-02-2008, 08:13 PM.

The holes are WAY too big though!! They can get their arms in and spin your spinner plate through those holes!!

Comment

that's just gonna give them something to hang on with

holes are wwwaaaayyyy too big

I would use a trap. It might take a while but your eventually put a dent in the population.

Comment

Originally posted by maglite View Post
        The holes are WAY too big though!! They can get their arms in and spin your spinner plate through those holes!!
        x2...if they were bigger, they might work, but not like that unless you have coons with really short arms

Comment

Revised post.....everyone knows coons are smart and ALWAYS find way to get to the corn even with the best type of devices. I am sure yall can figure out a way to mitigate the coon problem in an efficient and affordable way. Just thought I would pass the idea along. Glad to hear everyone has it figured out......

Comment

Originally posted by louieagarcia View Post
            Revised post.....everyone knows coons are smart and ALWAYS find way to get to the corn even with the best type of devices. I am sure yall can figure out a way to mitigate the coon problem in an efficient and affordable way. Just thought I would pass the idea along. Glad to hear everyone has it figured out......

Those will probably work for the majority of us. Thanks for locating a good deal.

Comment

Thanks for posting!

Comment

If you would double up and offset the panels on each side you could cut the square size in half.

Good idea.
                Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Thanks for sharing the idea Louie, you can't please everyone.

Comment

Awesome idea!

I made mine out of some of this http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...219&lpage=none

At 11.87 a roll I was able to build two or three out of each roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
                      Awesome idea!

I made mine out of some of this http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...219&lpage=none

At 11.87 a roll I was able to build two or three out of each roll.
                      Yep, looks like the same stuff I got at Home Depot. Good and sturdy wire, but I had to cut some of the wires to make some of the holes bigger (to allow more corn to get thrown out instead of dropping down).

Comment

Instead of a small cage, you could use this size wire and make one to fit the edge of the barrel instead of close to the motor.
                        Then they can crawl all over it they want.

Also, try putting grease about 2/3 up the legs of the feeder and they will fall off when trying to climb it lol.
                        Grease last a long time on the legs, they smear it up and down the legs.

Comment

Nice

Comment

put some chicken wire around that cagemight keep there little arms out

Comment

put some chicken wire around that cage it. might keep there little arms out

Comment

Working...
                              X