If you were building a varmint rifle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were building a varmint rifle today what caliber would you build?

I’m thinking of building another rifle and I’m thinking a .22 of some type. I want a laser of a rifle have tossed up 22-250ai and 220ai. Reloading doesn’t matter much as I have all the tools for the trade. So what would you build and why? Also have considered a .204

22 Nosler?

Comment

338 lapua[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just depends how far you're wanting to shoot and if you're wanting to not blow bobcats and foxes up and if it'll be used on hogs fairly often.

Comment

Would be a .20 cal for sure. I really like my .204 but there are some amazing .20 cal rounds available out there to reloaders that will smoke the .204. But the .204 has good factory ammo available for a non reloader. I absolutely love my .204. Nothing more satisfying than watching the coyote or bobcat crumple in your scope or watching pdogs getting launched.

Cajun Blake will be a great resource on this I know he is a big fan of the wildcat 20s and 17s.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
            Just depends how far you're wanting to shoot and if you're wanting to not blow bobcats and foxes up and if it'll be used on hogs fairly often.
            Will be used on hogs and I really don’t care about pelts.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
              Would be a .20 cal for sure. I really like my .204 but there are some amazing .20 cal rounds available out there to reloaders that will smoke the .204. But the .204 has good factory ammo available for a non reloader. I absolutely love my .204. Nothing more satisfying than watching the coyote or bobcat crumple in your scope or watching pdogs getting launched.

Cajun Blake will be a great resource on this I know he is a big fan of the wildcat 20s and 17s.

I have given the 204 lots of thought. I hope Blake will chime in.

Comment

Here is some great reading for you on the 20s and 17s

20s
                6mmBR.com is the best guide for 6mm BR Benchrest precision shooting, complete with 6BR FAQ, Reloading Data, Shooter Message Boards, Reader Polls, and Photo Gallery. Match event calendar and rifle competition accuracy training tips. Equipment reviews (.243 bullets, 30BR cartridge, 6mm Norma Improved, gun barrels, powders, primers, gunstocks, dies), accurizing, 1000yd ranges, ballistics, component sales, tools, gunsmiths. Articles archive for reloading, marksmanship, gunsmithing, and varminting.

17s
                6mmBR.com is the best guide for 6mm BR Benchrest precision shooting, complete with 6BR FAQ, Reloading Data, Shooter Message Boards, Reader Polls, and Photo Gallery. Match event calendar and rifle competition accuracy training tips. Equipment reviews (.243 bullets, 30BR cartridge, 6mm Norma Improved, gun barrels, powders, primers, gunstocks, dies), accurizing, 1000yd ranges, ballistics, component sales, tools, gunsmiths. Articles archive for reloading, marksmanship, gunsmithing, and varminting.

Last year my .204 layed down something around 20 coyotes and all but 2 were DRT. The one I hit a little further back than I wanted and ended up having to shoot him again on the run. The other was dead on his feet and went 20 yards with a tremendous blood trail. Also have killed deer and pigs with it. Lung shots and ear holes on does none made it more than 20 yards. And ear holes on the pigs and they don't move much either. Plus having the ability to never have to come off fur out to 300 yards with a 100 yard zero is worth it weight in gold when it comes to killing predators plus none of them had significant fur damage to boot if you care about that.

Will add everything I have shot has been with a 40 gr vmax chonographed at 3800 FPS. You can get slightly less drop with the 32 gr pills but I like that little bit of extra umph from the 40 gr.
                Last edited by westtexducks; 11-15-2017, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I would like to try a 223 Winchester Short Mag. I have used 22-250s a lot, have wanted to try a 220 Swift for a long time, but never found a rifle I liked, when I had money.

Comment

I shoot a .204. Never had any trouble with it.

Comment

I'd probably go with a .243 if you're throwing hogs in the mix. 58 grain bullets out of a .243 will make a mess of any varmint you'd ever want to shoot.

Comment

.220 Swift...long live the king. The 22-250AI is an equal & not a bad 2nd choice. Anyone you choose is gonna require ear hole shots on pigs with any size so your final choice really doesn't matter.

I bought a 20 Tactical from Blake & enjoying it as well...also love my 17 Fireball.

Comment

I love my 22-250 AI. It’s just a pleasure to shoot. I had it built with a 7 twist barrel to shoot heavier bullets. I shot this pig Monday evening at over 200 yards. Easy tracking job as he was DRT. 75 grain Swift Scirocco at 3500fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Fast twisted 243 or the improved version. I built one myself on a 40x action and it’s a death ray with heavies.

105gr Amax received from a 400+ yard shot in a hogs shoulder

Last edited by sendit; 11-15-2017, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Cabelas has the Remington 700 varmint in 22-250 with a 26 inch heavy barrel right now for less than $400. We have one and it is a tack driver. Shoot turtles off the dock from the front porch from time to time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X