Non-Compete Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Compete Question

If you hired someone who had a non-compete agreement with a previous employer, would you...

A) hire them and ask them to adhere to the agreement?

B) hire them and permit/encourage them to break the agreement?

C) not hire them?

D) other

***assume the agreement would come in to play at your company.

Hire them and take advantage.

This is a right to work state. Those agreements are hard to enforce so I hear.

Comment

Hire them if you need the person.

Comment

If the N/C is in-force with the previous employer after separating from them I'd be surprised but that would be a reason to pass.

Comment

First, those agreements are impossible to enforce. Second, give the person a different title. Third, allow them to make their own decisions. If they are good with it, let it be.

Comment

c. If they signed a non compete, they have all intentions of breaking it, not sure I would trust their judgement or commitment.

Comment

Had an uncle that did that and it aged him ten years fighting in court.

Comment

I have never had one "enforced" against me, but I also didn't go after my old companies accounts before I was able to. If they are any good, they will perform for you without having to poach.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  First, those agreements are impossible to enforce. Second, give the person a different title. Third, allow them to make their own decisions. If they are good with it, let it be.
                  BS.

It can cost you a fortune in court. Regardless of the outcome. I would respect a good one. Have your attorney look it over.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

I think you were sick the day they taught law in law school. Kidding, but man, be careful slinging out advice that is absolutely wrong. These contractual agreements are litigated and enforced daily.

Comment

If a man signs a pledge and decides not to stand by his word how can you trust him at your company?

Comment

Originally posted by El Coop View Post
                        If a man signs a pledge and decides not to stand by his word how can you trust him at your company?

So someone has to work for the same company until they retire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kdurham View Post
                          So someone has to work for the same company until they retire?

I've never seen a non-compete ask for a lifetime term, most are 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post

I agree.

I have signed them with a company just to realize I joined a nightmare of a company. Then again, in my industry you are not asked to not work on same industry. Typically, they state you can't poach customers, employees or contact their prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                              ^what he said.

Comment

Working...
                              X