Fishing the Buffalo River Arkansas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing the Buffalo River Arkansas?

The wife and I are headed to the Buffalo River in Arkansas for a long weekend of canoeing and fishing. We rented a cabin in the Harrisburg/Jasper area. My question is, what lures should I take and what species of fish I should fish for? I appreciate any help.

Good luck, always wanted to fish there too....following

Comment

We spent Spring break this year in a cabin in Jasper. Cool little town. We only fished the Buffalo from the bank near a bridge. Caught a lot of perch. We went on a guided trip on the White River (about an hour drive) and caught the snot out of trout. Brought home 20 rainbows, no telling how many we caught. Booked with Cotter Trout Dock. It was great! Sorry, can't help you much on the Buffalo River info.

Comment

Looks like smallmouth, rainbows, and browns. I've never fished that river, but for those species I'd say small spoons, inline spinner baits, Berkeley power bait, small crawfish colored crankbaits, watermelon/pumpkinseed tube baits, flies. Good luck!!

Comment

Small smallmouth bass, and pretty good sized sunfish are the norm.

Comment

Smallmouth, primarily. You’ll probably catch a bunch of red bellies and rock bass, too.

Small jigs, gitzit tubes, & baby brush hogs should all catch fish. There aren’t many big fish in the Buffalo because of the pressure, but you should catch quite a few! This weekend’s weather looks great and the water should be perfect.

I’m gonna put the yak in and do a little floating, myself.

Comment

I’ve fished largemouth bass my hole life but have never caught a smallmouth bass before.
              What lures work best?

Comment

I grew up on a smallmouth bass lake up north. They like all the same lures as largemouth. Really fun on topwater if they are hitting that yet, otherwise plastic worms (i prefer wacky style) crankbaits or spinners.

Comment

Originally posted by DaDust View Post
                  I’ve fished largemouth bass my hole life but have never caught a smallmouth bass before.
                  What lures work best?
                  I hear tube baits, crawfish like crankbaits are good for smallmouth. I'm sure most lures that are good for largemouth are also good for them.

Comment

Working...
                  X