Kansas buck back from Taxidermist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas buck back from Taxidermist

2017 Kansas buck. Got him in the last 15 minutes of the last day. Sorry about the sideways photo.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AggieDVM15; 04-21-2018, 12:29 PM.

More pics please! That is a hoss and you have to be proud of that. Congratulations on getting a very very nice Kansas buck. Is there a story of the hunt?

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can text additional pics but it's not letting me upload them. Actually a pretty neat story behind him. I'll post it up later today.

Comment

Thank you and thanks for fixing the picture MBV77

Comment

Heck of a buck! Like to hear the story about it.

Comment

Alright so this was my second year to draw in Kansas. We hunt private land just outside of Elk Falls. This hunting season was harder than usual bc I lost my grandad in August. He was my biggest fan and best bud and although he didn't hunt anymore he was always the first person to inquire about my hunting trip successes and mishaps. This year I built a new stand and put it up on what I felt was a good area with a nice open view from a hilltop. We had a new hunter on the lease this year so on the first day of the hunt we were driving the property lines and showing him areas he could hunt. As we were driving we saw the largest whitetail I have ever layed eyes on. This fella looked like something out of a magazine with a large drop from his left main beam. I hunted that deer hard and passed multiple bucks waiting for him but he never showed. The second day of the hunt a good buddy of mine saw the buck I killed running a doe. He stopped him with a grunt and the deer stood facing him dead on at about 50 yards. He aimed for the white patch under the throat and "jerked"the trigger. He said the buck ran about 50 yards and stopped and began shaking his head then ran off out of his sights. Danny was so sick about missing the buck that he stayed in camp the remainder of the trip sulking. I wasn't seeing a whole lot the last few days of the trip and on the last evening as things were winding down I began to take it all in. It was a still evening with a full moon rising above the timber. I was taking in the beauty of the sunset with the moon coming up and started to say a few prayers thanking God for the opportunity to hunt Kansas and for the great trip I'd had so far. I also said a quick prayer to granddad saying that I missed him and joking that he could make something pop out at the last minute if he wasn't busy. I unloaded my gun and started packing up my stuff and looked up and this dude popped up out of nowhere walking the wood line to my left. I didn't hesitate. I got my rifle loaded and out the window and tried stopping him to no avail. He made it about 350yards down range when he stopped broadside so I let one fly dropping him in his tracks. When I walked up to him and saw him I was blown away. I knew grandad had something to do with it. After closer inspection I noticed pus coming from the bucks nose and a large wound in his mouth but thought it was a fighting injury. When I got the buck to camp Danny about fell into the campfire (for reasons other than his drinking). He said, " Thats the buck I shot at!" We opened the mouth and you could see where his bullet hit the nose and blew up into the bucks mouth. I was very thankful at that moment again for the trophy God allowed me to harvest as well as for having an opportunity to relieve this old bruiser of his suffering and imminent death. Thanks for reading!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Awesome buck!!!!

Comment

That's a beast!!! Congrats

Comment

Now that's a good story. Thanks for sharing. What a special buck to take, especially last minute.

Comment

Awesome buck and story.

Comment

Working...
                          X