Plant Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plant Identification

Can anybody tell me what kind of bush this is with these Berries or fruit growing?
    Attached Files

Persimmons

Comment

^^^ I agree. Deer like them

Comment

Well i was hoping that is what the answer would be because i have read a lot on how the deer like them and the place is covered up with them. Appreciate it

Comment

Persimmon as stated above. Yes deer love em. Need to set up a blind near them

Comment

Tea made from the leaves of a persimmon has a lot of health benefits too... especially good for type II diabetics... There was a thread on here about that a few weeks back.

Comment

It's weird - we have a ton of them at my place too, and even though it was super dry at my place from July on, the deer didn't clean out all the persimmons. Still some shriveled up like raisins on the trees within reach of the deer.

They must have more than enough to eat, despite the lack of rain if they're leaving those things.

Comment

So what I have read about persimmons is that the deer will nibble on them here or there but there’s only a certain time of year when they really hammer down on them.

On another note, do y’all know if deer will eat the big acorns off of a burr oak?

Comment

Here is the acorn from the burr oak i was speaking of above.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Those acorns are from the white oak family and deer, hogs, squirrels, anything will walk a mile out of their way to eat those!! Those must be from last year or been under water/wet from flooding... they're not normally that color.. Usually dark brown cap and very light green nut...

Comment

Originally posted by Apodz View Post

On another note, do y’all know if deer will eat the big acorns off of a burr oak?
                      They will absolutely eat them, but I don't think they taste as good as some of the other acorns, so depending on what's around them, they may not be a preference acorn.

Comment

Semi edible. A bit acidic etc. but I have nibbled. Now the wood is extremely hard and heavy. It stays hard. I always wondered about wood working projects. What many folks do not know is it superb for smoking. I mix it with oak etc, if I can find it. I have had many comments asking what the heck wood did I use and how great it tasted. Before I retired as Commercial Construction Superintendent I would gather as much as I could before clearing. There is a lot west of Austin but not as much as there used to be. Mix it with some other good wood and Try it.

Comment

Second the health benefits of persimmon leaf tea. Has helped to lower my blood sugar and blood pressure. Also energy level has been steady all day instead of Goin up and down which is part of having type 2 diabetes. Drink a cup before I go to bed at night. Seems to b working for me

Comment

These are coming off a a couple of the trees we have at one of our model homes in my sub division. Some have fallen, and some are still on the tree. I may grab some and throw them out just to see what they will do with them.

Comment

persimmons...cut one in half and see what the seed looks like....

Comment

Working...
                              X