A Few More East Texas Turkey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Few More East Texas Turkey!

I was invited to a stocking of 8 Easterns today within the Angelina National Forest. The birds came from Iowa, West Virginia and I believe Missouri. The stocking was in support of a Super Stocking (80+ birds) completed in the same spot last year. The turkey stocked today ALL have radio transmitters which will be used to enable biologists to track where they go, monitor nests and also study predation should any of the birds get whacked.

If you hunt in or around Angelina Forest you may see birds with radio transmitters on them. Some of the birds stocked last year traveled a good distance. One hen released in the Angelina Forest last year traveled to and successfully nested near Colmeneil in Tyler County.

The odds are stacked against Easterns in the habitat of Eastern Texas. The biologist explained to me rat snakes and coons were a major issue on nesting success. Sounds like our bobcats like to eat turkey as well. We are optimistic that these birds with radio transmitters will shed some more light.

If you have a lease in Angelina, Jasper or Tyler County keep your eye out and give these birds a break...they aren't cheap. And do tell your East Tx uncle that the radio transmitters still transmit even after they are tossed in a lake.

I would love to hear some Deep East Texas turkey sighting stories. My place in Barnum (Polk) is a nada. 🦃

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	25108631
    A hen about to get released.

Very cool!

Comment

Got them on our place in Nacogdoches off 226.

Comment

Real cool man.

Comment

Almost took out a whole flock of them next to Turkey Hill WMA near Broaddus in my truck the other day. Saw a gobler sporting a 10" beard near the Moore Plantation the other day too. Hope they survive!

Comment

I've got a few Toms that hang out in Rusk County. Been seeing them the last three years on camera and finally got my first sighting in person this year. I did hear them two years ago coming off the roost while I stood in knee high water waiting on shooting light during duck season. Really cool

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
              I was invited to a stocking of 8 Easterns today within the Angelina National Forest. The birds came from Iowa, West Virginia and I believe Missouri. The stocking was in support of a Super Stocking (80+ birds) completed in the same spot last year. The turkey stocked today ALL have radio transmitters which will be used to enable biologists to track where they go, monitor nests and also study predation should any of the birds get whacked.

If you hunt in or around Angelina Forest you may see birds with radio transmitters on them. Some of the birds stocked last year traveled a good distance. One hen released in the Angelina Forest last year traveled to and successfully nested near Colmeneil in Tyler County.

The odds are stacked against Easterns in the habitat of Eastern Texas. The biologist explained to me rat snakes and coons were a major issue on nesting success. Sounds like our bobcats like to eat turkey as well. We are optimistic that these birds with radio transmitters will shed some more light.

If you have a lease in Angelina, Jasper or Tyler County keep your eye out and give these birds a break...they aren't cheap. And do tell your East Tx uncle that the radio transmitters still transmit even after they are tossed in a lake.

I would love to hear some Deep East Texas turkey sighting stories. My place in Barnum (Polk) is a nada. [emoji884]

[ATTACH]843886[/ATTACH]

A hen about to get released.

I know where Barnum is. There's a Confederate Cemetery close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
                Almost took out a whole flock of them next to Turkey Hill WMA near Broaddus in my truck the other day. Saw a gobler sporting a 10" beard near the Moore Plantation the other day too. Hope they survive!
                Supposedly they are doing good down that way. The challenge biologists have is studying the birds that successfully hatch here in Texas (obviously without transmitters). I know of one flick in Trinity County in marginal "turkey habitat" and there hasn't been birds stocked anywhere near thete in fifteen plus years...these are the birds with the right survival genetics to survive in what is most of East Tx.

Comment

So happy to see this! Look forward to more East Texas turkeys. Thanks for helping and keep us posted on this.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodajh View Post
                    So happy to see this! Look forward to more East Texas turkeys. Thanks for helping and keep us posted on this.
                    Thank you. I would definitely like to hear more turkey sightings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                      I know where Barnum is. There's a Confederate Cemetery close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      As in from civil war? That's cool!

Comment

I wish more land owners would utilize controlled burning on their land. It would help keep the trashy undergrowth down (Youpon, tallow, sweet gum, etc). Then we might actually have grasses and beneficial plants growing underneath the trees. That would help the turkeys a lot I think

Comment

I have seen turkeys in Woodville on hwy 256.

Comment

We have pictures of turkeys on my lease in Jasper county off of 62 and 255.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                              I wish more land owners would utilize controlled burning on their land. It would help keep the trashy undergrowth down (Youpon, tallow, sweet gum, etc). Then we might actually have grasses and beneficial plants growing underneath the trees. That would help the turkeys a lot I think
                              It would. It would be beneficial to deer hunting as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X