Reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reccomendations

I am about to be upgrading from my D3100 to either a D7000 or D7100 and am wondering what accessories you guys are using. Lenses, filters, bags, anything and everything. I currently have a Nikon 50 1.8 af-s, Sigma 70-200 2.8, 18-55 kit lens, and an old manual 50 1.8...i may possibly be looking to get a wide angle lens and/or another prime lens...what are the essentials that you must have with you at all times...im interested in all photography, landscape, portrait, wildlife, etc. Thanks in advance!

Bump

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

One last bump for any info or recommendations on anything ranging from lenses to bags to filters and more. Thanks.

Comment

Something wider than 18 would suit you well. I have the Tokina 11-16 that I used to use on my crop cameras and it's a great piece of glass. I'm sure they make it for Nikon.

Skip the UV, etc filters. Get a good circular polarizer. Try not to skimp on this. It makes no sense to have a decent, spendy lens and put a $10 filter on the front of it.

Bags are just a huge can of worms. It depends on what you plan to do. I think it makes sense to have a bag that will carry almost everything and then a small bag that might just hold an extra lens or two. I find I get utility out of my big, medium and small bags.

I like the Black Rapids strap on my camera when lugging it around.

Get a good remote for your camera. Oh, you need a tripod. You'll appreciate a good, solid tripod for landscapes. Get one with a good quick-release head on it. Again, you get what you pay for in this stuff so depending on budget, get something pretty decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
          Something wider than 18 would suit you well. I have the Tokina 11-16 that I used to use on my crop cameras and it's a great piece of glass. I'm sure they make it for Nikon.

Skip the UV, etc filters. Get a good circular polarizer. Try not to skimp on this. It makes no sense to have a decent, spendy lens and put a $10 filter on the front of it.

Bags are just a huge can of worms. It depends on what you plan to do. I think it makes sense to have a bag that will carry almost everything and then a small bag that might just hold an extra lens or two. I find I get utility out of my big, medium and small bags.

I like the Black Rapids strap on my camera when lugging it around.

Get a good remote for your camera. Oh, you need a tripod. You'll appreciate a good, solid tripod for landscapes. Get one with a good quick-release head on it. Again, you get what you pay for in this stuff so depending on budget, get something pretty decent.
          Yes Sir, i have been eyeballing the Tokina 11-16, and hope to get that someday. I jave the uv filters but more for protection than anything, and i bought a $6 CP and it wasnt very good so that being said, is there a perticular one you would recommend? I have a manfrotto tripod with quick detach head(forgot to mention that). Ill dig into bags a little more, i dont have much equipment to need a big bag yet but i hope to add to it a little at a time. I am thinking along the lines of a backpack type bag this time though... Thanks for the info and suggestions!

Comment

I think a UV filter is bad for your images, personally. I've never used one and I don't have any lenses that have suffered from this. Use the hoods for protection.

As far as Circular Polarizers go, I like Hoya, B+W. If you have lenses of multiple objective diameters, you should look into a step up ring...if you want to use one polarizer on all lenses.

I have 3 bags and a couple big Pelican cases for my gear. Of the 3 bags, 2 are backpacks. I think that's what you should look at.

Comment

I dont shoot with the UV filters on, they are only on when not being used, i dont use any filters at the moment but hope to get some, Im not sure even what other filters are out there worthwhile aside from CP really. I will check out Hoya and definitely the step ring as all of my lenses would require a different size. Thanks for that info! Any particular brand on the backpack that tends to hold up better than others? I assume lowepro would be one...

Thanks again Casey for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X