Pros/Cons of a drop away rest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hopco.boy View Post
    take it to a pro shop that knows how to tune it. i have had mine on 2 different bows. i now have a desrtroyer 350 @ 331 fps and no contact. if the two lines don't line up at full draw it is not tuned right.
    Will do. It was installed by my pro shop. I'm going to get another shops opinion on it.

Comment

Thanks for all of the great info...I am still shooting with a bisquit but have been thinking about upgrading to a drop away.

Comment

Originally posted by keestan31 View Post
        Thanks for all of the great info...I am still shooting with a bisquit but have been thinking about upgrading to a drop away.
        Not sure thats an upgrade, I like my bisquit

Comment

A lot of good info but not correct. A lot of pros hunt with the drop aways. The QAD has Michaels stamp of aproval on the bone collector. NAP just came out with a great rest called the Apache. Cons on all drop aways with a cord. Cord can be cut, thrash, branches, twigs, etc can get caught on the cord. Pros- no contact after the release!

Comment

Originally posted by hopco.boy View Post
            take it to a pro shop that knows how to tune it. i have had mine on 2 different bows. i now have a desrtroyer 350 @ 331 fps and no contact. if the two lines don't line up at full draw it is not tuned right.
            Okay, so on my QAD, the lines go JUST past lining up. Is this a problem? Do they have to line up perfectly? I set it up exactly as the directions said to, but attaching the pull string barely snug and coming to full draw, allowing the clamp to slip up the cable into "correct position". Then tighten the clamp. When I come to full draw, the lines just barely go past lining up, should I adjust the clamp a tiny bit to make them line up perfectly?

Comment

I have been shooting bows for years (mostly bowfishing and 3-d with my dad as a kid), worked in an archery pro shop for several years (porters sporting goods near tyler) but I am just now getting a bow set up for deer hunting. I was recently given a brand new Hoyt Trykon and I am wondering what kind of speed/arrow combo would make the rest fall away incorrectly?

Comment

Pros/Cons of a drop away rest?

To quote Chovanetz's uncle.

Drop Away's are for Target P's!

Comment

Lots of drop aways out there. I dont believe they all work on all bows. You got some strings going up and some going down. There are even drop aways out there that are not fast enough to get out of the way of the arrow or you get bounce back from the rest. Might make you think your vains are not clearing.

Comment

I've had a Vital Bow Gear Kaz-Away and now a Limbdriver. Both are excellent drop away rests. I shoot targets and bowhunt. No issues with either bowhunting.

Comment

Some rests work better on particular bows than others (in my experience). I had a NAP quicktune freedom (no string) on one bow and it worked fine. Put it on my Hoyt AM32 and it was horrible. I put a QAD on the Hoyt and it works great.

Comment

Suprised it hasn't been mentioned. The limbdriver and it drops away at the last possible second to help stabilize your arrow.

Comment

Wisker works and will not fail you. It holds the arrow and you can move your bow around and not bother trying to keep the arrow on.

Drop away, no arrow contact. But you have to learn to handle your bow without dropping the arrow of the shelf and while drawing dropping it off the rest.

Pretty much up to you at this point.

Originally posted by peacockoutdoors View Post
                          Seems no matter what I do my QAD is having contact with my veins. Seems the arms are not dropping fast enough.
                          That rest is one i would never suggest or use. Simply because i have had first had experiences with it contacting fetching and several "GOOD" bow shops look at it and could not get it to stop hitting.

Comment

WB...when my fletchings make contact with my rest, it don't matter!!!!

Comment

drop aways are great rest's. the total key is insuring the bow and gear is all tuned properly. i have tuned a rip cord and a QAD to the fastest bows out there. if someone says they are still getting contact with thier veins on the drop away rest they simply are out of tune. drop aways are the best rest in my opinion, you just have to make sure your gear is up to par and tuned properly. thats my opinion. i shoot the rip-cord code red out of my G5 and have no problems, nor did i have a problem in my hoyt vectrix.

Comment

Working...
                              X