Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
bullhead44
Ten Point

Default Funeral question

I know its not something we don't like to think about much, but when you go will you be buried or cremated?

I hate funerals and really don't want anyone looking at me when I'm gone, so I prefer cremation. My wife doesn't agree and has already bought funeral plots for both of us. She says the funeral is for the people who are still alive not the dead one. I told her she could just stick my ashes in there but she ain't going for it. So it looks like I will be getting buried anyway

When my mother in law died this past August, I was really surprised at how expensive funerals had gotten. It was almost $14,000 for the funeral not including the stone which will be another $4500. I would rather leave that money to my daughter.
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
Walker
Ten Point

Im claustrophobic. Dont put me in a box under ground
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Cremation is definitely the cost effective way to go. My wife wants to be cremated and that is fine with me. Me personally I don’t really care. Cremation is fine with me.

Now as far as your wife not agreeing with you concerning it that is a total different issue. It is your decision not hers
aggie2000tx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #4
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

i'll be cremated. i'll have them dump me somewhere nice when they're done. that way if my family wants to come see me, they can go somewhere nice, not a cemetery.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
junior
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties

I'm like you. I hate funerals and viewings. I don't go to them unless its family. I don't want a lot of people having to come look at my dead body either. Just bury me, and go have a party or something where they can talk with friends, and remember me in good spirits. Funerals are too depressing.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
RobinHood
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Duval Counties

My dad was cremated per his wishes. We kids felt we didnít get a sense of closure in his death.
My step dad just passed away last month and was given a funeral. The 2 emotions I felt with the two different methods were extremely different than the other.
RobinHood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

My wish is to be cremated and my ashes dumped into a feeder and spun out with the corn.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #8
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Use to always plan on being buried, but I'm not sure anymore. I guess it doesn't matter either way.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #9
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

Burn me!!!! Mix in some gunpowder and put me in reloads and shot me. Love the smell of burnt powder. Mix me some stink bait and take me fishin. And whatís left let the wind blow me over the hill country among some old oaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
MagicBlade
Six Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

The older you get the easier it is to discuss. My wife and I have both decide to be cremated, however the question remains ..... what to do with the ashes!

Neither of us want to be put in a box under ground. We have lived in a lot of cities & states so where to call home. My wife wants her ashes spread in the ocean off California as for me ... since i spent time in the Navy the ocean would be fine.

My parents are buried in Missouri, my wife's parents are buried in Kentucky. We don't visit their graves as we carry their memory in our hearts! Hope my children will choose to do the same.
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #11
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2000tx View Post
Cremation is definitely the cost effective way to go. My wife wants to be cremated and that is fine with me. Me personally I donít really care. Cremation is fine with me.

Now as far as your wife not agreeing with you concerning it that is a total different issue. It is your decision not hers
X2
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #12
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
My wish is to be cremated and my ashes dumped into a feeder and spun out with the corn.

Be my luck I would clog the feeder.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #13
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW.

man I'm with you.....a funeral is a huge waste of money.

My parents spent a bunch of cash on mausoleum slots and then we ended up having an immediate funeral, still with embalming involved, for my mom.

Dad was cremated and the tiny urn was placed in the casket sized space he had purchased.

I'll be cremated and tossed out with the corn and the pea gravel.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Just went through some of the same issues with my dad and step mom.
He wanted to be cremated. He never said why, but insisted on it. SM told him that it wasn't happening. Dad talked to their priest, and he promised him that he would make sure that his wishes were carried out. On the way out of the house, the priest told SM that he'd be cremated and there was no further discussion. He was cremated.

I was with SM when she made the arrangements at the funeral home. Even though the rosary and funeral were going to be in the church, the cremation and misc. things the funeral home would do still racked up a $4500 bill, and that was with myself, my cousins, and my dad's 3 brothers actually digging the hole at the cemetery. I didn't even know that was an option, but when he told us it was, I felt like that would be a great final show of respect for my dad.

We buried his ashes, in this urn. The local VFW honor guard was already there, when we got to the cemetery. I stopped to talk to them, as I carried the urn in. The mixture of emotions from them was moving.

We buried him, in a full size plot, next to my SM's plot, with full military honors. My uncles and cousins helped me dig the hole. I was the one to place his urn in the ground, and the uncles and cousins helped me fill it.

Back to the original question.
I told Tina that I want them to harvest any parts or organs (of mine) that are still usable, and then I want to be cremated. I will want my ashes scattered somewhere, although I'm not sure where, just yet. I think cemetery plots and headstones are money poorly spent, and would rather Konnor get that extra $10,000.

Last edited by Texastaxi; 02-20-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #15
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Take all you can and burn the rest.
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #16
Rescue1
Eight Point

My advice is do whatever doesn't make her haunt you.

I know we will be burned and spread. having had a grandfather that was done this way has left a small void in that there is no one focal point to feel connected to him. as in a headstone. so i'll have some type of name plate and a tree planted at the house.
Rescue1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #17
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

All of y'all who are gonna be cremated then tossed out somewhere, how will people come and visit you, or leave flowers at a gravestone, etc.? There will be nothing to physically remember you like a headstone. I'm not sure when I'm gone I want to be forgotten too. My grandkids or great grandkids can still come see where I was laid to rest in a cemetery. Any thoughts?
Old 02-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #18
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Cremate me and divide my ashes up into a couple dozen arrows and give them to my friends to shoot critters with.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #19
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Being embalmed and stuck in a box in the ground seems unnatural. I'd like to return back to the earth and let nature take me in like it does with all living things, but that's not usually how it goes with your normal Christian burial. I say run me through a wood chipper over a nice pretty oat patch just before it's planted, and let me fertilize it good so the deer can enjoy me ..........to far.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #20
Kmart49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Stephens County

I'll be buried as has/will everyone else in my family.

Best thing you can do is make your arrangements ahead of time so that your wishes are insured to be carried out. Doing so will also save money down the road and keep your family from having to go through the process of making the arrangements.
Kmart49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #21
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Probably cremated but I'd want to be somewhere that anyone that wants to feel like I'm somewhat there can go to "see" me I guess. One of my buddies that died of cancer was cremated. I saw him 3 weeks before he died. He was in the hospital up until he died and didn't want nobody seeing him that way. So basically it was like I never got to tell him goodbye,never saw him again. So in a weird way it felt like he wasn't really gone. I drove by his house one day and saw his truck there so I pulled in the driveway. I was gonna go talk to him.....

Death isn't an easy thing to deal with. I think with a burial it's more closure to the family and friends of that person in some cases. I don't know what the right answer is or the easiest route as far as the healing process goes but being cremated is cheaper. I don't guess I'll care much at that point. Whatever's easiest is fine by me. Nobody I know is that wealthy so they'll probably have me cremated if I can't make that choice ahead of time.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:38 PM   #22
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Had my grandmother's funeral and burial yesterday so have been thinking about this. I want to be cremated and then somebody throw a 'Celebration of Life' afterwards. All the hunter-friends and family bring their best cuts of wild game or meat and grill; tell stories and lies. In the days/weeks following, I'd like my family to dump my ashes on the ranch, and perhaps in the river.

Quote:
I have thought about this as well. Ultimately eaten by deer and spread out all over the land, from dust to dust. 'Yeah shot that 9pt off Will's feeder, been eatin' on his ashes on bulking up all summer. Little gritty but plenty tender.'
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #23
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land
Default Please Don't Bury Me Down in that Cold, Cold Ground

Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #24
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
All of y'all who are gonna be cremated then tossed out somewhere, how will people come and visit you, or leave flowers at a gravestone, etc.? There will be nothing to physically remember you like a headstone. I'm not sure when I'm gone I want to be forgotten too. My grandkids or great grandkids can still come see where I was laid to rest in a cemetery. Any thoughts?
I don't need a "physical" piece of carved stone to remember my loved ones or for my family to remember me. When I miss my deceased relatives, I talk to them through prayer because I know they're always listening and watching over me.

I am an organ donor and plan to be cremated. I don't want to burden my wife or kids with $15-20,000 worth of stupid expenses. My funeral will be a celebration of life with a crawfish boil , BBQ, and tons of food for all to enjoy. Additionally, I'll have a video playing a concert of the Grateful Dead or Dead & Company since that's what makes me most happy, and that's how I want to be remembered.

Others can have Amazing Grace, Morning has Broken, etc...

I'm going out with the speakers blaring: Scarlet Begonias, Fire On the Mountain, Eyes of the World, Terrapin Station, Shakedown Street, Brown Eyed Women, Help> Slipknot>Franklins, Music Never Stopped, Morning Dew, Viola, Dark Star, so Many Roads, etc.......

BTW, y'all are all invited to attend

Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #25
Dang_ol
Four Point

Hunt In: Corrigan,TX, louisiana, colorado

I have already talked to my wife and told her I wanted to be cremated if anything happened. Put ash in bullets and let my kids take me hunting one last time. My dad and grandfather has already told me they want to be cremated also. And have there ashes spread in lake they live by.
Dang_ol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #26
Da' Hitman
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Smith County

I want to be buried in Veteran's Cemetery. Can't fathom cremation
Da' Hitman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #27
deerplanter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
My dad was cremated and his ashes was spread by each of us as we wanted in the lake he lived at. We each took our own time and spread them as we wanted. If I want to visit him I do it in my mind same as my grandparents as I don't go to their grave sights.
I myself want to be cremated and my ashes spread either in Colorado or Alaska.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #28
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Me and the two guys known a ranch with have agreed to so this!

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #29
onejump
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clyde,San Angelo

Cremated, spread my ashes in the field to be planted!
onejump is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #30
coach2
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I want to be cremated and my ashes injected in some watermelon flukes and brush hogs. Give them to my buddies and let them still catch fish with me.
coach2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #31
bowsticker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas: Kinney County and Schleicher County. Louisiana: LaSalle Parish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
i'll be cremated. I'll have them dump me somewhere nice when they're done. That way if my family wants to come see me, they can go somewhere nice, not a cemetery.
exactly!!
bowsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #32
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

I dearly loved my grandparents. I have NEVER been back to the grave. They ain't there, why would I go? Their memory is with me always.

For me, make me into something else then take me to the woods, to the lake, to the yard, to the street...whatever, I just don't see any need to use up perfectly good land for cemeteries.

From dust to dust, ashes to ashes. I will be gone in a flash, burn down the building.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #33
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Interesting feedback. Blake, I hope in outlive you because I want to be at that party.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 02-20-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #34
kae006
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comfort, SHNF

I would prefer to be cremated. That said, assuming my wife outlives me and we can afford whatever option would make her and my children most comfortable then I don't care what she chooses to do with my body, after-all I'll be dead anyways.
kae006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #35
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

I hate funerals

Lol
Me too...
Bily Lovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #36
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

At nearly 71, you can bet I've thought this out. Cremation, no service, nothing. Just my few friends getting together, if they want to, and no sad singing and wringing of hands. Scatter the ashes, bury them in a fruit jar, I don't care. After all, I ain't gonna be there !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #37
Tex
Ten Point

I want whatever is salvageable to be donated and then cremated. I've told my wife that I want a celebration of life and my ashes available in some tiny containers for my friends to take with them. Then when they are doing something (roping, hunting, fishing, whatever) and have a memory of me to dump me out right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #38
Hoss163
Ten Point

We just had my moms funeral a few hours ago My mom was always worried about how she would look in the casket and I was afraid to go see her after the funeral home got her all done but I’m super glad I did she looked amazing the best she has looked in years after suffering with liver and kidney disease brought on by bad diabetes! That being said I think I will let them just put me in a casket and put me in the ground at the cemetery close to her !
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #39
125Dad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co.

It’s in writing I will be cremated. I also told my wife and kids they don’t have to pick up the ashes if they don’t want to. But I’m the guy that left all my stuff to Aubul the cashier at the convenience store just to p!$$ them off one last time. Lol GOF forever
125Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #40
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

Dig a hole, throw me in it, and plant a tree on top.
JustinJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #41
125Dad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
We just had my moms funeral a few hours ago My mom was always worried about how she would look in the casket and I was afraid to go see her after the funeral home got her all done but Iím super glad I did she looked amazing the best she has looked in years after suffering with liver and kidney disease brought on by bad diabetes! That being said I think I will let them just put me in a casket and put me in the ground at the cemetery close to her !
Sorry to hear about your mom buried my step dad of 37 years Monday.
125Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #42
Hoss163
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125Dad View Post
Sorry to hear about your mom buried my step dad of 37 years Monday.
Thank you . Sorry about your step dad they are in a better place with no pain !
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #43
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

Quote:
Lol, you serious Clark?
HoustonHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #44
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter View Post
Lol, you serious Clark?
DEAD serious
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #45
slayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knox & Palo Pinto County

I will be cremated. For one, I dont want the expense for my family, 2nd, I dont want people visiting me at a cemetary, I am not there. I want my ashes spread across my favorite hunting and fishing places. I do want a memorial service, but NO crying. I want some tubs of beer and liquor pouring, music playing and all of my friends talking about the stupid stuff I did in my life.
slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #46
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco, Texas

Wife and I donated our bodies to Southwest Medical School. They'll train new, young doctors on our bodies, then cremate the remains and send back to the family. Everyone's a winner!
MQ32Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #47
KCarter
Four Point

Cremated and ashes spread on our ranch. If I outlive my wife, there is a good possibility I’ll die in our woods and be eaten by critters.
KCarter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #48
Danimal14
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere freinds will take me and granger phl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
Dig a hole, throw me in it, and plant a tree on top.
This...but i was thinking can you do that ...govt probably looks down upon burying people random spots...but if they can wrap me up and throw me in..
I also thought about ashes mixed in dirt and growing something. ..maybe some danimal tomatoes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
Danimal14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #49
WhiplashTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

Both my parent's funerals were closed casket, they said they wanted to be remembered in life, not in death. Neither was embalmed either as per their wishes. My father had thought about cremation but ultimately decided he wanted to be laid to rest next to mother as she had chosen. For me, it will be cremation and my ashes scattered in the Rockies.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #50
Martin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson County and Oklahoma.

There are tombstones/grave markers that you can have your ashes encapsulated into. Or you can simply have your ashes spread onto the ground on your cemetery plot, or buried in that plot. This is for the folks that feel a need to go to a certain place to visit their loved ones. As for me and my wife, we're both organ donors and have opted fo cremation.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top