Any bee swarms out yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any bee swarms out yet?

I’ve put out 4 swarm boxes to try and catch a few honey bee swarms this year. Has anyone seen any swarms yet?

My dad has an entire colony in a rotted out tree and a big log next to it. I think he has a couple more colony’s spread around his place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've heard of a few scattered around on some of the Facebook bee groups, gotta get me some traps out, it might rain around here one of these days, but I'm not expecting much movement until it does rain to get some bee food growing, there's a few fruit trees blooming but that's about it for us.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
        My dad has an entire colony in a rotted out tree and a big log next to it. I think he has a couple more colony’s spread around his place.

That would be cool to rehome/relocate the bees in the dead tree. I usually wouldn’t want to mess with a hive in a live tree, unless the owner told me that the tree was going to be removed. The dead tree will eventually fall though. I’ll save whatever bees that I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
          That would be cool to rehome/relocate the bees in the dead tree. I usually wouldn’t want to mess with a hive in a live tree, unless the owner told me that the tree was going to be removed. The dead tree will eventually fall though. I’ll save whatever bees that I can.

Wouldn’t be nice to move them to a box or something where you could actually harvest the honey.

Comment

Not yet but it should be getting kicked off soon. Still a little cool in the mornings but I've got my empty nucs & swarm traps ready. My girls are already building up quick and I'm seeing drone brood ramping up

Comment

I saw a bunch swarming out of an old tree at the Kerrville Schreiner Park last week. One person got stung twice.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                I saw a bunch swarming out of an old tree at the Kerrville Schreiner Park last week. One person got stung twice.
                If they got stung the bees weren't actively swarming (in the classical sense), probably just pissy from the recent weather and defending their turf (wrong place wrong time kinda thing).

Swarming bees gorge themselves on honey in preparation for finding a new home and building wax quickly when they find it. They are very lethargic and docile in that state.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                  If they got stung the bees weren't actively swarming (in the classical sense), probably just pissy from the recent weather and defending their turf (wrong place wrong time kinda thing).

Swarming bees gorge themselves on honey in preparation for finding a new home and building wax quickly when they find it. They are very lethargic and docile in that state.

They darn sure were pizzy then! LOL! I pulled the stinger out from between the guys eyes and one off of his ear. We made a wide birth around that tree on the way out!

Comment

I’m setting some traps this week .

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                      They darn sure were pizzy then! LOL! I pulled the stinger out from between the guys eyes and one off of his ear. We made a wide birth around that tree on the way out!
                      So what you're saying is their tactics worked!

Comment

Some of the guys in the Bee group around Beaumont have caught a couple swarms.
                        Should really be going in a couple weeks. My bees in Tyler county have been pulling in a lot of pollen for a month now.

Comment

A dude in Corpus got attacked yesterday. News said he got stung multiple times. Had to go go hospital.

Comment

I have not seen or heard any yet around my area

Comment

I live in Ennis and have a huge amount. They were in the bird seed. I gave them some sugar water in a bowl and they empty it out every day.. about four cups of sugar water. I can go and fill the bowl and they move and fly around, but haven't bothered me in the three to four weeks they have been around... I assume someone in the area have some hives or they have a home somewhere. They were swarming the peach tree blooms and some other trees I have in full bloom.... buzz buzz buzz is all I have been hearing.
                              Last edited by czechgrubworm; 03-06-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X