Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump's Listening Session on the School Shootings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happening now & some powerful stuff coming out of it...will be interesting to watch this admin tackle such an emotional & difficult task that gets passed to States & municipalities.

If you get a chance, watch it. Lots of talk of arming educators which is gonna be fun watching certain heads swell from not being able to absorb such common sense!!

I heard about 35 min of it on the radio. Seems like violent urban areas have been running security check points akin to airports to enter the school since the 90s. Metal detector and xray for bags. I say make it happen in all urban and suburban areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ætheling; 02-21-2018, 10:38 PM.

Comment

It was a very emotional / powerful deal...you saw every side of the issue & I had no problem with the views I disagreed with under these circumstances.

It was the most civil & respectful event I can remember under such pressure & the admin went way out on a limb. Not sure why, but I actually feel in my gut that we will see some gains in protecting schools, but not at the expense of the 2nd.

I really wish more got to see it in her entirety...very moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        Happening now & some powerful stuff coming out of it...will be interesting to watch this admin tackle such an emotional & difficult task that gets passed to States & municipalities.

If you get a chance, watch it. Lots of talk of arming educators which is gonna be fun watching certain heads swell from not being able to absorb such common sense!!

I’m in sales and I can walk into most schools and get to anywhere on campus. I can’t walk into an airport and can’t get further than baggage claim or check in. I have seen more business lock down their doors than schools and that’s a problem. I think we need to secure our schools like we do our Exxon Plants and Airports.

Last edited by Black Ice; 02-22-2018, 12:32 AM.

Comment

I wouldn’t be able to speak. No parent should have to speak about this. I think he’s right in that it’s not about right or left, it’s not about gun control or having no gun control. That’s really lazy gibberish by both sides. It’s about us coming together to protect our children. Why can’t we have armed guards and access control into our schools? We as a country need to take drastic steps tomorrow to fix this or we will see this same scene over and over. We need to have very real control over access into schools with fences and gates and guards, period. THEN we need to address stricter gun laws and background checks and capable ENFORCEMENT while at the same time address the mental health issues that plague our country. Accomplishing only one of these things alone will not fix it. Sitting around until it happens again will not fix it. It is time for us all to stop the nonsense and our selfish dialogue and get it done. We need to fix it locally. I mean here in my neighborhood and in Katy and in Every neighborhood. It isn’t going to get fixed in Washington??? Hell they cannot figure a way to deliver mail and make a profit on a market they had cornered for 150 years! We cannot rely on Washington. We can’t.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
            I wouldn’t be able to speak. No parent should have to speak about this. I think he’s right in that it’s not about right or left, it’s not about gun control or having no gun control. That’s really lazy gibberish by both sides. It’s about us coming together to protect our children. Why can’t we have armed guards and access control into our schools? We as a country need to take drastic steps tomorrow to fix this or we will see this same scene over and over. We need to have very real control over access into schools with fences and gates and guards, period. THEN we need to address stricter gun laws and background checks and capable ENFORCEMENT while at the same time address the mental health issues that plague our country. Accomplishing only one of these things alone will not fix it. Sitting around until it happens again will not fix it. It is time for us all to stop the nonsense and our selfish dialogue and get it done. We need to fix it locally. I mean here in my neighborhood and in Katy and in Every neighborhood. It isn’t going to get fixed in Washington??? Hell they cannot figure a way to deliver mail and make a profit on a market they had cornered for 150 years! We cannot rely on Washington. We can’t.

I agree we have to learn to adapt with the times. The mail service will be wiped out by google or amazon soon. If they can figure out how to wipe out the pony express then I think we should be able to figure out how to protect school children.

Comment

Everything you both have touched on was mentioned by some side...it really was an amazing meeting that I think will get us out of the gates.

There was representation from columbine & sandy hook, discussions of mental wellness, teen suicide, comparisons to airports, red flag awareness & more...both sides of the gun issue were covered, but the overall agreement was that is not underlying problem.

Really needs to be replayed for primetime.

Comment

Everything you both have touched on was mentioned by some side...it really was an amazing meeting that I think will get us out of the gates.

There was representation from columbine & sandy hook, discussions of mental wellness, teen suicide, comparisons to airports, red flag awareness & more...both sides of the gun issue were covered, but the overall agreement was that is not underlying problem.

Really needs to be replayed for primetime.
                Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised at least from the portions that I saw. I want to rewatch the entire thing.

Comment

Remove the gun free zone signs and allow teacher who want to defend themselves the freedom to do so.
                  Put veterans to work roaming the halls with big new signs stating the fact that these premises are guarded by combat vets
                  (not call of duty wannabe’s.)
                  And stop putting our young boys on mood altering drugs.
                  Men need to take more responsibility to raise boys to be able to handle the pressures of life.
                  Take boys hunting and teach them to respect and honor their quarry.
                  If you shoot a pig find it process it and eat it. Don’t make it just about the kill like a video game.
                  More human interaction for kids and less digital only interaction.
                  Bring back corporal punishment.

My two cents and then some.

Comment

Very few schools in this country are safe no matter what the district or Admin say. I can prove it time and time again where I teach. We have had probably at least a half dozen threats with arrests up here around Lubbock since the Florida shootings. Some jack wagon will not make a threat on social media up here and it will happen, but this district will NEVER EVER let a teacher protect themselves or the classroom.

Lot's of valid points made in the above posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                      I agree we have to learn to adapt with the times. The mail service will be wiped out by google or amazon soon. If they can figure out how to wipe out the pony express then I think we should be able to figure out how to protect school children.

Regrettably wont happen. The U.S. POstal service is protected by the U.S. Constitution (the only thing I don't like about Benjamin Franklins service) just like the 2nd Amendment!
                      It was a very emotional / powerful deal...you saw every side of the issue & I had no problem with the views I disagreed with under these circumstances.

It was the most civil & respectful event I can remember under such pressure & the admin went way out on a limb. Not sure why, but I actually feel in my gut that we will see some gains in protecting schools, but not at the expense of the 2nd.

I really wish more got to see it in her entirety...very moving.
                      Don't know about the "going out on a limb" part. Federal, State and local administration's are "supposed" to be a part of the American discussion.......as they are there to serve the citizens of this nation. Well, that is how it was set-up to be at least. WE lost that transparency over the last 50 years or so.

Comment

Working...
                      X