Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #1
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County
Default ? For The Weight Loss & Wellness Experts

My wife is always back & forth on trying different diet plans & seems to struggle to cut weight at least to her ideal weight goal. Iím heavier now and we are both in our mid 40s and keep talking about doing something together. I know a good plan is to diet & exercise. My wife really wants to start with a good boost by trying some of the common programs where people cut weight pretty quick & feel much better in terms of not feeling tired all the time. The ones Iím familiar with are Herbal Life, Advocare, Plexus. Anyone have experience & good results with these? Pros & Cons? Any other programs out there thatís a good quick booster for this? Thanks
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:12 PM   #2
Dirt_Dance
Four Point

Hunt In: Carbon, TX

I did Nutrisystem and dropped 20lbs in six weeks. Started eating like crap again and put it all right back on. Never exercised at all. I just started the KETO thing and hitting the gym 3-4 times a week. Nutrisystem was a quick loss of weight. The food was actually really good and I’m very picky. I did there promotional plan, but I picked all my meals. They get you on the second order thing. So be prepared for 8 weeks of food when you sign up. I’m
Considering doing Nutrisystem again just because I don’t have to mess with meal preparation, which for me makes it easier and therefore more likely to be kept up with.
Dirt_Dance is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
Flex
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Bushes

Was in the industry for over 10 years, now I'm a coach. Here is my 2 cents.

Skip all the ones you listed. Just pyramid schemes of cheap supplements. You need a lifestyle boost, not pills.

Get a meal prep service delivered, nutrisystem, icon meals, etc. Stick to it. Cost isn't that bad if you eat out a lot. They have really good food, and you tailor it to your calorie needs.

Exercise! Try different things until you and your wife find one you enjoy, then sign up. So many options now, amazon Prime workouts at home, p90x, bootcamps, camp gladiator, obstacle racing, crossfit.

The most effective diet and exercise program for you is the one you stick with.

Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Naturally Slim worked for us. It's not really a diet. I lost 25 pounds and have kept it off for a year now.
https://www.naturallyslim.com/home

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

its easy and free

3500 calories in a pound. Cut out or burn 500 calories a day and loose a pound a week. Cut 500 calories and burn 500 more a day loose 2 pounds a week.

Simple free and almost fool proof. Find a diet or fitness expert that says this is all wrong and fire them if you hired them.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Following
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

I lost 35 lbs in 2 months doing keto. I've kept it off for a year watching what I eat. I will eat carbs 1 time a day usually breakfast when I'm working.. when I work nights I'll do a couple 18 hour fasts. I completely stopped drinking sodas and eating anything with sugar..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post

Skip all the ones you listed. Just pyramid schemes of cheap supplements. You need a lifestyle boost, not pills.

Get a meal prep service delivered, nutrisystem, icon meals, etc. Stick to it. Cost isn't that bad if you eat out a lot. They have really good food, and you tailor it to your calorie needs.

Exercise! Try different things until you and your wife find one you enjoy, then sign up. So many options now, amazon Prime workouts at home, p90x, bootcamps, camp gladiator, obstacle racing, crossfit.

Good luck

It gets a lot of razzing but crossfit is my recommendation. It'll cure what ails ya.
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #9
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
its easy and free

3500 calories in a pound. Cut out or burn 500 calories a day and loose a pound a week. Cut 500 calories and burn 500 more a day loose 2 pounds a week.

Simple free and almost fool proof.
To do this you are going to need to weigh and record your food in an app like myfitnesspal. Most people severely underestimate how much they are eating in a day. This is takes that out of the equation. I did it about 6 years ago and it is amazing how much food it takes to get to 2300 or so calories which is what I needed to lose weight while exercising. Real food will fill you up and satisfy you vs all the processed crap. Good luck.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
TxAg
Pope & Young

Take a laxative. You'll drop 2-3 pounds and feel lighter on your feet. Seriously...it's a jump start. Then eat veggies, fruit, and lean meat. Walk a couple miles around the block. Drink water, coffee, and unsweet tea. Get 7 hours of sleep
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #11
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
To do this you are going to need to weigh and record your food in an app like myfitnesspal. Most people severely underestimate how much they are eating in a day. This is takes that out of the equation. I did it about 6 years ago and it is amazing how much food it takes to get to 2300 or so calories which is what I needed to lose weight while exercising. Real food will fill you up and satisfy you vs all the processed crap. Good luck.
Agree. If you are eating clean it's pretty rough to get over 2000 calories in a day, for me anyway. I did myfitnesspal for a while and I would average around 1800-1900 calories on a day and was never hungry and was getting 150+ grams of protein
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #12
Matt_g
Four Point

Hunt In: Carmine/Ledbetter

Many folks are doing the intermittent fasting... 8 hours eating- 16 hours fasting. The schedule alone will shed excess weight but if you add healthy eating on top of intermittent fasting, you'll get there much quicker! Not a fan of keto myself, a strict eating schedule and some exercise is where it's at imo

Last edited by Matt_g; 01-14-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Matt_g is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #13
Bort
Six Point

NO ďDIETSĒ WORK in the long term. You have to change your lifestyle. If you have to pay for anything other than food from the grocery store, itís a scam. Get some form of exercise (20% of the solution) and eat healthy, well rounded meals at their proper portion sizes (80% of the solution). I suggest writing down everything you eat for 2 weeks. You will see where you can correct your diet.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 08:20 PM   #14
CentexRancher
Ten Point

As said above, theres no magic recipe. All it is, is DISCIPLINE. If it was easy, everyone would do it. Skip the eating out, cut out snacking, meal prep, and drink water. Its that easy. I cant speak for weight loss, but I started out at 140 at the beginning of my journey about 2 years ago and am now sitting at 160lbs of lean mass. During this time, I cut out all the bs and just focused on what gave me results. Once you start working out and feeling good from the food that you eat, its hard to eat junk food anymore. Really, just eat right and workout with a heavy focus on the eating right. You can workout all you want but if you dont eat properly, your results will suffer.
CentexRancher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #15
d1rich1
Ten Point

I dropped 60 lbs in 2 months last year living a fasted life. I ate 1 meal every 2 days. I drank electrolyte rich water I would make from cheap ingredients from the store to get my minerals in. First couple of days were tough but I had more energy after a week than when I was eating 6+ meals a day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
d1rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #16
TxAg
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_g View Post
Many folks are doing the intermediate fasting... 8 hours eating- 16 hours fasting. The schedule alone will shed excess weight but if you add healthy eating on top of intermediate fasting, you'll get there much quicker! Not a fan of keto myself, a strict eating schedule and some exercise is where it's at imo
Small correction: Intermittent fasting. It works, though!
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #17
CentexRancher
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
Agree. If you are eating clean it's pretty rough to get over 2000 calories in a day, for me anyway. I did myfitnesspal for a while and I would average around 1800-1900 calories on a day and was never hungry and was getting 150+ grams of protein
This is my biggest issue when Im gaining weight. I can workout all day long (figuratively), but its super hard for me to get the necessary caloric surplus from my foods. After a while, one just gets tire of eating.
CentexRancher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #18
ctom87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Did Keto and lost 35 lbs in 3 months. Also did not have a sedentary job like I do now. Keto works if you are strict as hell...also I don’t suggest doing a lot of the Keto recipes because they are usually good, have 6-9 carbs, and you will over eat and go over your macro count. Just stick to basics... eggs, bacon, butter, big fat juicy steaks, olive oil, lots of veggies. You will lose weigh and after carb flu, feel amazing.you could lose 10 lbs in a week but it is all water weight.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 08:31 PM   #19
hchntr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Cutting back and eating healthier alone will show results. Add in some exercise and you get even better results.
Seriously though, all those fancy diet plans can work. But if you are disciplined enough to stick to one of those, you should be disciplined enough to cut back and eat healthy.
Bottom line is, you have to burn more than you are taking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hchntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #20
Matt_g
Four Point

Hunt In: Carmine/Ledbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Small correction: Intermittent fasting. It works, though!
Oops! I knew what I meant
Matt_g is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #21
Trevor73402
Six Point

Quote:

Good luck

I have not read all the replies here, but I can tell you that the post above is pure truth. Make the way you look and feel a daily priority. Ive been in this lifestyle since 2001. Im currently 38yrs old, 222 pounds, 8% body fat, and a 32" waist. Im not a "pro", but I know a thing or two. Cardio is KING in any form. Proper nutrition is everything. Both of you need to get your hormone levels checked as well as your thyroid. A simple blood test is all that is required. Invest in a piece of cardio equipment to have at your home. I recommend a step mill. Wake up 30 min early every day and do 25-30 min of fasted cardio first thing in the AM. You'll be amazed at what this alone can do for you, especially on a step mill.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #22
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

All good feedback. I agree with many it’s all about discipline & change in lifestyle & sticking with it. I can be more disciplined than my wife. I’ve done the Keto diet and for me it’s not too hard to follow. I’m about 5-11 and I got to 177 lbs on the keto plan. I tried to switch modes to using whey protein & bulking and got up to 210-212. I got bigger but not as much definition as I would have liked. I’d rather get back to a leaner weight so I have more energy & hopefully feel better. My wife needs a more structured program at least at the beginning until we can get on a better eating habit with reduced carbs & calories. The challenge for us is three kids who want chic fil a , pizza, & whataburger. Just need to meal plan better with kids in mind
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #23
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

Macroholicsnutrition.com - my wife and I used it for a month and then continued on our own. It works incredibly well
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #24
No-Tox
Six Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

I've gotten more healthy over this past year, actually since summer just by having an eating plan and healthier habits. I'm down from 301 to 220 (fluctuate 5 lbs.). I've been to the gym twice. Once to sign up and once to cancel. So, it's all about what you are eating, how much and how often.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #25
antiparadigm
Four Point

You need some David Goggins. Google him. BAMF. Lol

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
antiparadigm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #26
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default ? For The Weight Loss & Wellness Experts

I usually weigh around 215 during hunting season and the holidays but cut down to around 200 for the summer. The 215 is mixed meal planning but mostly eating whatever I want from November to February. Around March I start eating a lot of chicken, fish and vegetables to lose the 15 pounds in a month or two. My goal was to not have gained the full 15 pounds during the holidays and the most I weighed was 207 in the am.

from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Black Ice; 01-14-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #27
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Try renaissance periodization. They have an app that is $15/month and a cycle is 3 months. They have a Facebook group and you should join to see the results. It’s not wild and crazy, but it works and is doable. I did three months and then ate clean, which I learned through the program, and lost 35 pounds last year. Best money I ever spent. I wasn’t even trying to lose weight. I was just trying to eat more healthy to fuel my workouts better. It did everything I wanted and more.
Lawhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #28
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:

Good luck

Yes!

Basically, eat less and move around more!

We have really enjoyed the Camp Gladiator program for almost 2years now. It works if you stick with it and challenge yourself.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #29
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort View Post
NO ďDIETSĒ WORK in the long term. You have to change your lifestyle. If you have to pay for anything other than food from the grocery store, itís a scam. Get some form of exercise (20% of the solution) and eat healthy, well rounded meals at their proper portion sizes (80% of the solution). I suggest writing down everything you eat for 2 weeks. You will see where you can correct your diet.

Good amount of truth here
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 PM   #30
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Buy an elk tag.
El General is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 10:48 PM   #31
wpcattleco
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazoria County, George West and day leases with the buds

KETO.....thatís it. You will he shocked at the results. 70% healthy fat, 20% protein, 10% greens. Absolutely no carbs and no sugar. Not even fake sugar, donít do it. Youíre body will go into ketosis and burn fat without you being hungry. Itíll change your taste buds and pull you away from sweets once you stop, if sweets are an issue for you. You can PM me for tips if youíd like. Good luck and have fun.
wpcattleco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 10:59 PM   #32
coy-ote
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit county

Like others have said if you try a program you will lose weight while youíre on it , get off and gain it all back. Iíve been medically retired for almost 2 years I was 53 yo and around 256 diabetic took cholesterol and blood pressure meds, started off by dropping carbs and sugars went to my doc and he said whatever your doing keep on it about 4 months I was down to 215 Iím 6í3 and my doc took me off all my meds after keeping my weight off for over a year and keeping all my blood work in check A1C was 5.7 , cholesterol was 120 , blood pressure was 110/70 without meds. Hard for me to get real active because of injuries but I can do something and thatís better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coy-ote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top