Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #1
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default 1964 ad for WD-40... my have times changed...

Name:  IMG_8548-WD-40.jpg
Views: 1994
Size:  54.4 KB


SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
Bayouboy
Pope & Young
 
Bayouboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: League City
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
be12hunt
Ten Point
 
be12hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Hunt In: Montell, TX
Default

Hahaha that’s awesome.
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
RangerRick2012
Ten Point
 
RangerRick2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Hunt In: United States and its territories
Default

Back in the days when society wasn't offended at every turn of a phrase... I miss those days.
RangerRick2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
sbushee
Ten Point
 
sbushee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Hunt In: The Outside
Default

Oh man that’s great. Love it
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
BlackHogDown
Ten Point
 
BlackHogDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NW Houston
Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston
Default

BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wilco
Hunt In: the dark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
That's be cute, if it was true.

But it's not.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
That's be cute, if it was true.

But it's not.
So you don't think WD-40 would help your rusty tool or tight nuts? !! My dad used to rub it on his bad knees like liniment... said it made his arthritis better...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #9
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: old FEMA Trailer House
Hunt In: winder of old FEMA trailer house
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
So you don't think WD-40 would help your rusty tool or tight nuts? !! My dad used to rub it on his bad knees like liniment... said it made his arthritis better...
Yes sir my grandpa did the same. Used to hear you could spray it on bait and catch more catfish.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #10
Mayhem
Pope & Young
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: porter, tx
Hunt In: crockett, county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Yes sir my grandpa did the same. Used to hear you could spray it on bait and catch more catfish.


I have sprayed it on lures and caught Speckled trout.

I’ll try it for the other stuff but not sure the wife will be too happy about it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #11
tradtiger
Pope & Young
 
tradtiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger
Default

If you ever get tar on you or your suit at the beach, it will get the tar right off/out.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #12
ra61hunting
Six Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I have sprayed it on lures and caught Speckled trout.

I’ll try it for the other stuff but not sure the wife will be too happy about it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But then again she may surprise you.
ra61hunting is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #13
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co
Default

The explanation I got on the fish attraction is that the main ingredient was fish oil.

On a side note that’s a pretty edgy ad for 1964
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 06:30 PM   #14
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Try it mayhem, report back

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #15
CoolArrow
Ten Point
 
CoolArrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Juan, TX
Hunt In: Starr county
Default

my soon to be 89 yr old dad sprays it on his knees!! He swears it works. Lol.
CoolArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #16
asu-indian
Eight Point
 
asu-indian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lake Fork
Hunt In: Texas, Kansas
Default

No way.
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #17
Bud
Six Point
 
Bud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ballinger Tx
Default

In the town where I grew up there was a man who ran the local filling station. His name was Skeeter. Don’t know where he got the name. When WD 40 came out he told all the local farmers how good of a product it was. I guess he “over sold” it. The locals started calling it Skeeter Pee. It stuck and to this day if you say Skeeter Pee anyone within twenty miles of Rowena Texas knows what you are talking about. ��
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #18
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

I remember that ad, and I thought it was pretty racy at the time. I was just a kid, but I could read between those lines.....
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #19
sasqy
Eight Point
 
sasqy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: mansfield
Hunt In: my sasquatch suit
Default

Watch out before someone gets offended these days and your thread gets whacked lol .
Good one for sure !!!!
sasqy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 09:18 PM   #20
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point
 
CabezaBlanca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rock Island, TX
Hunt In: Colorado County
Default

It’s very good on psoriasis also.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #21
Landrover
Pope & Young
 
Landrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Default

55 years ago...…….whew
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2019, 10:49 PM   #22
jshouse
Pope & Young
 
jshouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rockwall
Hunt In: NE Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
In the town where I grew up there was a man who ran the local filling station. His name was Skeeter. Don’t know where he got the name. When WD 40 came out he told all the local farmers how good of a product it was. I guess he “over sold” it. The locals started calling it Skeeter Pee. It stuck and to this day if you say Skeeter Pee anyone within twenty miles of Rowena Texas knows what you are talking about. ��
This forum needs more Bud.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2019, 12:02 AM   #23
Burnadell
Pope & Young
 
Burnadell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: White Oak
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

It is fake; debunked on several websites.

From one:

"The ad was discussed on Reddit back in late 2014, and one reader there found a reference to the text in a usenet post back in 2000.

The first clue that the ad is not real can be found in the text. The official name of the product was never written with a space – even in the early 1960’s – as shown in the graphic above. A hyphen has always been used in ads for the product. The text is also too uniform to match the changing texture of the background. This is especially noticeable where the word “Do” appears over a torn or stained section, but does not look different than the rest of the text as would be expected.

WD-40 RESPONSE
Even though – based on the clues above – we were reasonably convinced the graphic was fake, we decided to reach out to the company in hopes of confirming or denying that the graphic is in fact not real. We received a response from an Assistant Brand Manager, who told us the following.

WD-40 Company does not believe that the ad that has been making the rounds on the Internet – and is purported to be an actual ad from the 1960s – is real. We first saw this document in late October, and have not been able to verify its existence through our internal records.

In addition, there are several features of the ad that lead us to believe it is not accurate and has been created more recently. First, the paper in the ad appears old and wrinkled, but the type on the ad does not, which indicates the text is probably something that was added to a digital background. Second, we would have likely used WD-40 with a hyphen, which does not appear in the ad. And third, it is highly unlikely that WD-40 Company would have authorized such an ad, even in the 60s when ad standards were less stringent than they are now.

We do have some of our actual historical ads on our website at http://wd40.com/gallery under the Historical USA Ads tab.

BOTTOM LINE

The 1964 WD-40 ad filled with sexual overtones is not real. A company representative told us they only first saw the document in October 2014 and have no record of the ad. They also noted that the name is not presented properly, using a hyphen, which is one of many clues that it’s fake.

Updated December 9, 2015
Originally published April 2015"
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2019, 12:37 AM   #24
Black Ice
Pope & Young
 
Black Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
It is fake; debunked on several websites.

From one:

"The ad was discussed on Reddit back in late 2014, and one reader there found a reference to the text in a usenet post back in 2000.

The first clue that the ad is not real can be found in the text. The official name of the product was never written with a space – even in the early 1960’s – as shown in the graphic above. A hyphen has always been used in ads for the product. The text is also too uniform to match the changing texture of the background. This is especially noticeable where the word “Do” appears over a torn or stained section, but does not look different than the rest of the text as would be expected.

WD-40 RESPONSE
Even though – based on the clues above – we were reasonably convinced the graphic was fake, we decided to reach out to the company in hopes of confirming or denying that the graphic is in fact not real. We received a response from an Assistant Brand Manager, who told us the following.

WD-40 Company does not believe that the ad that has been making the rounds on the Internet – and is purported to be an actual ad from the 1960s – is real. We first saw this document in late October, and have not been able to verify its existence through our internal records.

In addition, there are several features of the ad that lead us to believe it is not accurate and has been created more recently. First, the paper in the ad appears old and wrinkled, but the type on the ad does not, which indicates the text is probably something that was added to a digital background. Second, we would have likely used WD-40 with a hyphen, which does not appear in the ad. And third, it is highly unlikely that WD-40 Company would have authorized such an ad, even in the 60s when ad standards were less stringent than they are now.

We do have some of our actual historical ads on our website at http://wd40.com/gallery under the Historical USA Ads tab.

BOTTOM LINE

The 1964 WD-40 ad filled with sexual overtones is not real. A company representative told us they only first saw the document in October 2014 and have no record of the ad. They also noted that the name is not presented properly, using a hyphen, which is one of many clues that it’s fake.

Updated December 9, 2015
Originally published April 2015"




You remember this one?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2019, 04:45 AM   #25
Mayhem
Pope & Young
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: porter, tx
Hunt In: crockett, county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Try it mayhem, report back

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I think the smell would tip her off before the action started.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2019, 06:58 AM   #26
BTLowry
Pope & Young
 
BTLowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lindale
Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5
Default

The trick is not to let your tool rust in the first place
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2019, 07:34 AM   #27
Bayouboy
Pope & Young
 
Bayouboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: League City
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
The trick is not to let your tool rust in the first place
Drink lots of beer and build a tool shed for it
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #28
Wudstix
Pope & Young
 
Wudstix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Location, Location. Pick a spot.
Hunt In: a Tripod usually or Ground Blind.
Default

So that's my problem? No WD-40!!!!!!!
Wudstix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #29
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Oh hell Randy, don't be such a party-pooper!! We got a good thing goin' right here, let us have some fun!!

And as far as the "Pill" ad, Haven't seen that ad, but Annette is one of my all time favorite childhood crushes!! Absolute shame what happened to her health! She was such a beautiful lady inside and out!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2019, 10:10 AM   #30
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wilco
Hunt In: the dark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I remember that ad, and I thought it was pretty racy at the time. I was just a kid, but I could read between those lines.....
You are literally fake news.

This is hilarious.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2019, 10:15 AM   #31
Bayouboy
Pope & Young
 
Bayouboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: League City
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
You are literally fake news.

This is hilarious.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #32
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young
 
Goldeneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
So you don't think WD-40 would help your rusty tool or tight nuts? !! My dad used to rub it on his bad knees like liniment... said it made his arthritis better...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Yes sir my grandpa did the same. Used to hear you could spray it on bait and catch more catfish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolArrow View Post
my soon to be 89 yr old dad sprays it on his knees!! He swears it works. Lol.
Friend of mine used to spray it on his elbow for tendonitis. For years he claimed it helped. Then the WD-40 can changed and it quit working for him. We looked at an old can and the new one had one ingredient that had changed. I forget what it was though.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #33
sandhillhunter
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: DFW
Hunt In: Taylor County, TX and New Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Friend of mine used to spray it on his elbow for tendonitis. For years he claimed it helped. Then the WD-40 can changed and it quit working for him. We looked at an old can and the new one had one ingredient that had changed. I forget what it was though.


I believe the missing ingredient was snake oil.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sandhillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2019, 10:16 PM   #34
Rakkasan2187
Ten Point
 
Rakkasan2187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
You are literally fake news.

This is hilarious.
Rakkasan2187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #35
Das71198
Ten Point
 
Das71198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hallettsville
Hunt In: Victoria County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
You are literally fake news.

This is hilarious.
I agree.
Das71198 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #36
txtradesman
Ten Point
 
txtradesman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
So you don't think WD-40 would help your rusty tool or tight nuts? !! My dad used to rub it on his bad knees like liniment... said it made his arthritis better...
My Grandma rubbed it on her legs and said it made the arthritis pain go away
txtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #37
Traildust
Pope & Young
 
Traildust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alvin, Texas
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

Fresh fish on the line!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com