.260 favorite powder / bullet combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to order new brass (and dies) today, as I need to get a load together for this rifle and practice with it before next season. Anyone have a favorite .260 (aka 6.5 Creedmoor Improved ) hunting load they want to share? I'm looking for powder and bullet weight recommendation mainly - I'm still going to work up a load with my favorite components.

I am partial to Sierra bullets (ProHunter or GameKing), and CCI primers, but since this is a brand new setup, I'm open to other suggestions.

T/C Encore - Custom EABCO .260 barrel. 26" long, 1:8 twist. Shots with this one will likely be between 100-250 yards.

All the best,
    Glenn

I always used H4350 and a 140 match bullet, the brand didn't seem to matter Lapua, Amax or Sierra. Start at the book and ease your way up you should hit 2 accuracy nodes. Federal 210 M primers worked the best, but the Wolfes were a close second. Varget worked good with lighter bullets, but I didn't shoot those much and when I did I generally used H4350 also.

Comment

Glenn I’m a fan of RL17 and with heavier bullets RL19 in my 260s. I think RL26 is going to be another good one although I haven’t tried it yet.

Since you are a GK fan, the 140 GK should be a good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

H4350 was basically designed for 6.5 creedmoor and 260.

Comment

Mike, folks say RL17/26 run dirty. Has that been your experience?

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
            I always used H4350 and a 140 match bullet, the brand didn't seem to matter Lapua, Amax or Sierra. Start at the book and ease your way up you should hit 2 accuracy nodes. Federal 210 M primers worked the best, but the Wolfes were a close second. Varget worked good with lighter bullets, but I didn't shoot those much and when I did I generally used H4350 also.
            Thanks. I'm looking for a hunting load though, so I'm not going to be using the match bullets. I'll still look into the H4350 with some similar weight hunting bullets.
            All the best,
            Glenn

Comment

WW760 or H414. Same powder, different branding. The ball powder equivalent of 4350.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post

Can’t say that is has. Not sure I would be able to tell much in a bolt action though.

All of my guns clean easily when I do actually clean them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  Glenn I’m a fan of RL17 and with heavier bullets RL19 in my 260s. I think RL26 is going to be another good one although I haven’t tried it yet.

Since you are a GK fan, the 140 GK should be a good place to start.

Thanks Mike. I was hoping you would chime in. I'll definitely start with the 140 GK's. I'm going to have to get some new powder though. I've got Reloader 22 and 25, but no 17, 19, or 26. With the 140 GK, would you lean towards the RL19, and use the RL17 for something like 120 grain bullets?

All the best,
                  Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                    H4350 was basically designed for 6.5 creedmoor and 260.
                    I was just looking through the Sierra manual. They list IMR4350, but not the H4350 for the 140 grain. What bullet / grain bullet were you using with that?
                    All the best,
                    Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                      WW760 or H414. Same powder, different branding. The ball powder equivalent of 4350.
                      I found H414 in that manual for the 140 grain bullets. I may try that as well.
                      All the best,
                      Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                        I was just looking through the Sierra manual. They list IMR4350, but not the H4350 for the 140 grain. What bullet / grain bullet were you using with that?
                        All the best,
                        Glenn
                        Glenn, my latest Hornady manual lists them both, about 1/2 gr. Difference is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                          I asked a similar question on this post.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                            Interesting.
                            I'm loading my daughter's 7mm O8 with IMR4350. I loaded up some test loads, but haven't fired them yet.

Comment

H4350 and hornady 140gr bthp is great in mine slow but steady. Moving a whopping 2700fps blows through deer out to 350 so far. I have shot this load out to 1300 yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X