Brisket on an egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket on an egg

I got a big green egg about a month ago and have done ribs, chicken, etc. finally had time to get a brisket going and have a question. I put it on this morning at 6:30 at 225. It's 5:30 and still sitting at 165 (internal temp) Egg temp is steady between 220-230. It's a smallish 10.5 lb brisket. Time wise at 50 minutes per lb, I should be done. Temp wise I have a ways to go. What am I missing other than more time ?

It's the stall. Wrap that sucked in aluminum foil.

Comment

Thanks hopefully that works

Comment

Each brisket has a mind of its own when it comes to the stall.

Comment

I've cooked TONS of briskets and have never experienced a stall. But I always wrap about the 160 mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryf250 View Post
            I got a big green egg about a month ago and have done ribs, chicken, etc. finally had time to get a brisket going and have a question. I put it on this morning at 6:30 at 225. It's 5:30 and still sitting at 165 (internal temp) Egg temp is steady between 220-230. It's a smallish 10.5 lb brisket. Time wise at 50 minutes per lb, I should be done. Temp wise I have a ways to go. What am I missing other than more time ?
            Not saying this is the problem, but check to make sure the thermometer on your egg is reading correctly. Mine was way off...

Comment

I've had briskets hold at the stall for over 4 hours...it can be frustrating, but I wait it out. I'm not a fan of wrapping any of my bbq in foil, so I let it go.

Comment

I cooked my first brisket on my Primo (like a BGE) and my stall only lasted 45 minutes. Although it stalled again at 190*. I've never seen that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                  Not saying this is the problem, but check to make sure the thermometer on your egg is reading correctly. Mine was way off...
                  Yep. Get you a Maverick digital thermo. My analog gauge was off by 45°

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                    I've had briskets hold at the stall for over 4 hours...it can be frustrating, but I wait it out. I'm not a fan of wrapping any of my bbq in foil, so I let it go.
                    What is your reason for not wanting to wrap? You only risk losing moisture by not wrapping.

Comment

What is your reason for not wanting to wrap? You only risk losing moisture by not wrapping.
                      Not a fan of wrapping as well tried both ways when I wrap it comes out more like a roast than a brisket probably not doing it the correct way either. I think their is no wrong way to bbq it just comes down to preference

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                        Because you might as well just cook it in the oven then. The only reason needed for wrapping is for people that don't know what they are doing or when it is done to keep it from drying out. When you wrap it at 160 you will not get a good bark either because it isn't fully developed yet and what is there gets ruined because of the steaming when wrapping.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                          Because you might as well just cook it in the oven then. The only reason needed for wrapping is for people that don't know what they are doing or when it is done to keep it from drying out. When you wrap it at 160 you will not get a good bark either because it isn't fully developed yet and what is there gets ruined because of the steaming when wrapping.
                          YOU sir, couldn't be more wrong. All of these were wrapped in foil! You don't have any idea what you are talking about. Were you saying you enjoy eating crow???
                          Attached Files

Comment

TC that is some **** good looking brisket.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post

Horse hockey...

Comment

Working...
                              X