Poor man's "backcountry" hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor man's "backcountry" hunt

Earlier this year I hoped to pull off an archery elk hunt in Colorado this fall. That plan fell over on the homefront, so I'm counting on a couple lease invitations or a long-shot drawn hunt to fill the freezer this year. One idea I'm thinking about is hitting a WMA hard for 4-5 days where there's camping allowed. I'm not particular on location or scenery, just where there is good variety of game and low odds of getting hassled by crowds or locals. Who of you does this each year and where do you go?

Check out, Old Sabine Bottom WMA. Less then 2 hours from Dallas.

Comment

I've been thinking of the same thing. I have a lot of time to burn and a 45-70 that's itching for blood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure where you can do this in Texas, I have not been able to find a place for backcountry

In the Sam Houston NF you have to camp in designated camp areas during hunting season. There is still a lot of forest areas to hike and hunt

Not really familiar with other areas

Comment

Hunt at Baker 3 in junction in the October bow hunt. You’re allowed to camp on your section they assign you and you can basically do it like a “backcountry” hunt. I wanna say it’s 350$? There’s a bunch of threads and guys on here that go out there.

Comment

Working...
          X