No announcement yet.

Neighbor wants us to help pay for his high fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't read all the responses but we border a Hf on one side . Most come off property line and have a right away they own between them. We still have our bw fence , a lane he owns and then his hf. If I wanted to hf mine in future - without his permission to tie my corners into his with hf gates - he could say no and I would have to fence if all my side

If directly on line - i would offer to pay 1/2 what normal 5 strand fence you had would be ....and keep on good terms If his fence is off the line - I would want to know if he would let you tie to it in future if had to? If felt he would then still may make same iffef

Comment

If it's going up regardless and if you've ever considered high fencing your 175 acres then I would do it. If my neighbor was doing it right now I definitely would. Especially if it was on one of the long sides of our property.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
      Last edited by DRT; 08-11-2017, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BDR View Post
        Hey bud not gonna argue with you. You can quote all the "laws" that you think you know. Trust me I've been there done that got the tshirt as they say.
        I'm not arguing man, we just cut a $60K check for a fence because of neighbors cows. We did everything we could and finally it came down to fence out so we have to build the fence and the other side doesn't have to lift a finger. Their bulls tore a bunch of stuff up to get to my heifers and we called the "law" and they said if you don't want his bull then you have to fence them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
          Legal consequences??
          Texas is a fence out state. If you don't want something on your land then you have to fence it out. It isn't the owner of whatever's problem to repair the fence or build one for that matter. You could build a brand new fence as far away from the property line as you want and if a big bull goes over there and jumps through it. Then it's your job to fix the fence or build a better one. Not the owner of the bull. Look it up. I think it's called free range state or something like that. He should pay half of a low cattle fence and that's all . We have done the same on the ranch I run.
          It is not that simple. While Texas as a whole is a fence out state. There are not many countries who still go by that. Also, the owner of livestock has a legal obligation to keep his animals from right away of roads and highways.

Also actually, in all of Texas, if I build a fence to adequately keep out livestock in an open range county and your bull damages anything on my property, you are responsible.

Looks like you hunt in Mason so you might know if they are fence in or out.

OP one other thing to think about. If he sets back the fence(like he should) then I would not pay a dime. You will still need to redo your low fence and maintain it.

Comment

He's cutting off deer movement to and from your place and he wants you to help pay for it? Tell that mother****er to get bent.

Comment

How about this. Tell him Your all in for half the high fence "BUT" Tell him you want the fence at the front of your property because you are fenced in on two sides. It he fenced the rear that will just about kill your opportunity for deer hunting. So if you two agreed you would have 175 acres of 11175 acres high fenced. Come to terms on what deer management yall can come to and follow your's and his rules.

If he won't agree to that then say you have zero interest in paying half of a fence that will fence out wildlife from reaching my property. Then maybe politely say, go pound sand.

I have a bud with a big low fence place down on the border. He spent months looking for the right place and when he found it he jumped on it. His neighbors add up to MASSIVE acres of low fence. They came to greet him one day and they were reluctant to start the conversation about game management. They were relieved to find out my bud is very very strict on what is and is not taken off of his ranches. They were all willing to ban together to fence him off if he was not like minded. They all live happily among themselves and they grow monsters on low fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
                Haven't read all the responses but we border a Hf on one side . Most come off property line and have a right away they own between them. We still have our bw fence , a lane he owns and then his hf. If I wanted to hf mine in future - without his permission to tie my corners into his with hf gates - he could say no and I would have to fence if all my side

If directly on line - i would offer to pay 1/2 what normal 5 strand fence you had would be ....and keep on good terms If his fence is off the line - I would want to know if he would let you tie to it in future if had to? If felt he would then still may make same iffef
                This is what I would do.

Our neighbor at our place in Colorado County put up a high fence on our south fence line. They didn't ask for any money, but I would have paid for half of barbed wire fence if they asked. I don't plan on high fencing our place, but I'm not going to tell my neighbors what they can do on their property. I'm a big fan of landowner rights.

Comment

Hells no

Comment

As others have stated, offering to pay for 1/2 of the cost for a low fence is fair. If you dont want a high fence then you shouldnt have to pay for one.

Comment

Sell

Comment

Nope, nope and nope...

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                          This. Ask him how a high fence is neighborly.

LWD

Don't you know that good fences make for good neighbors? LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I cant believe he had the ball s to even ask

Comment

Tell him to pound sand

Comment

If your being blocked out by three sides then spend the money blocking in the forth side not splitting it with him. Or tell him to that you'll pay for the front and he doesn't have to block you out. Meaning you would be contributing and he would be saving money to make it a total of 1175 high fenced in. That way you don't lose your good hunting and he saves a few bucks not having to go around you. If he throws this idea out I would say ok we'll kick rocks on your side of the fence then!

Comment

Working...
                                X