Aging Experts Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aging Experts Needed

The more I learn about aging East Tx deer, the less I know. How old would you say this Houston Co 8pt is?
    Attached Files

Looks like a fluffed up 3.5 year old to me. But off those pics I could be swayed from 2.5 - 7.5 probably.

Comment

2.5 year old

Comment

Steve I think you know!

I'm no expert but I will throw my opinion out there. 2.5-3.5 MAX is where I'm at. At first I would say he could be post mature and on the down side looking young again but the last pic shows his tarsal glands well. Not very dark and quarter size staining. I would think a post mature deer would have a lot more staining going on.

Comment

look at the shoulders and the neck...the neck can get "swole" during the rut so can be misleading, but shoulders on mature bucks will be as muscular as the hinds. also look at the line of the back older bucks start to sag. Real old bucks (7.5+), as decline begins due to deteriorating teeth, will loose much of their girth but you'll notice sagging skin below the chin and in the chest.

Comment

Few more pics for reference. Guesses on the ten in the fore ground welcome too..

Comment

Dont know where the pics went. Try again.
              Attached Files

Comment

These pics show the troubles with trying to age a deer off photos. All three pics show something different. 1st pic looks young except for that ewe-neck. Makes me think past prime - maybe 7+.
                2nd pic doesn't show the older characteristics - maybe 2 yr old.
                3rd pic is a combo of the two. Standing straight-legged and upright like a young deer, but those hips looks like he is past 7. Guessing he is between 8 - 10 yrs old. but if you tell me he is 2 I will believe you!

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                  These pics show the troubles with trying to age a deer off photos. All three pics show something different. 1st pic looks young except for that ewe-neck. Makes me think past prime - maybe 7+.
                  2nd pic doesn't show the older characteristics - maybe 2 yr old.
                  3rd pic is a combo of the two. Standing straight-legged and upright like a young deer, but those hips looks like he is past 7. Guessing he is between 8 - 10 yrs old. but if you tell me he is 2 I will believe you!
                  Exactly my thoughts except I went with the young guess. I'm sure we will find out soon! Teach us something Steve!

Probably an old swamp donkey

Comment

both look to be 2.5 years to me.
                    I've hunted in East Texas and not much management going on if on a paper mill lease. the mantra was "if you don't shoot him he'll end up in someone elses pot". Hence, the TPWD antler restrictions. In East Texas if it's legal take em!

Comment

Originally posted by WamBow View Post
                      I've hunted in East Texas and not much management going on if on a paper mill lease. the mantra was "if you don't shoot him he'll end up in someone elses pot". Hence, the TPWD antler restrictions. In East Texas if it's legal take em!
                      Well hes on my property and its nothing like you described.

Comment

Man, I got nothing! Every time you put up a new pic, I change my guess!

Comment

Originally posted by WamBow View Post
                          Not on GarGuys place! Look up some of his old threads! I wish all including me could manage like him!

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                            Man, I got nothing! Every time you put up a new pic, I change my guess!
                            Thats him on the right in the top pic wanna guess at the ten in the foreground of second pic?

Comment

Man I want to say 3.5 on the 10 and part of me wants to say the other is well post mature! Thinking 9, 10, maybe older and healthy but I just can't get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X