No announcement yet.

Might be a stupid question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That copper bullet jacket buildup normally/usually/generally begins to affect accuracy. Worst I ever had was a Ruger 77 LH in .270 Win. Clean and scrub the bore spotless and by about the 4th/5th shot it started to spray a bit. By 10 shots, it had gone from 1.5" group to a 6" group. Sold that rascal.

Comment

I have a cleaner who cleans my guns for me after each use. I have a loader, too, so I don’t ruin my manicure. Life is good.

Comment

I don’t clean rifles until they start shooting weird. I rub some oil on the outside so my buddies don’t bust my b$lls about the rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot one time sighting it in and then clean it at the end of the season.

Comment

Clean it when accuracy goes to crap.

That being said you have to have a good load to know if the accuracy goes to crap.

Comment

When it starts to get alittle dusty, I'll knock it off.

But rifles take alot of rounds before accuracy is impacted.

Now my .22, gets cleaned regularly.
              Attached Files

Comment

Each rifle is different. I’ve had factory rifles stop performing as low as 20-30 rounds through the barrel. And I’ve had custom barrels shoot several hundred rounds before needing cleaned. I watch accuracy and when they start opening up I’ll clean them. I do try to keep the triggers clean(flush with ronsonol) and the actions fairly free of dirt and oiled. The gun will tell you when it needs cleaned.

Comment

I was told a long time ago that powder residue sitting inside the barrel for extended periods attracts moisture from the air that can harden and crust up into tiny brittle particles that can impede a bullet traveling over it. I clean periodically just to be safe, especially on units that will sit for long periods.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Each rifle is different. I’ve had factory rifles stop performing as low as 20-30 rounds through the barrel. And I’ve had custom barrels shoot several hundred rounds before needing cleaned. I watch accuracy and when they start opening up I’ll clean them. I do try to keep the triggers clean(flush with ronsonol) and the actions fairly free of dirt and oiled. The gun will tell you when it needs cleaned.
                    It definitely will do that. I've experienced it first hand. On a hunt several years ago I had to shoot a single shot AR because it was so dirty it wouldn't function right. That's one rifle I think needs more attention than a bolt gun as far as being clean.

Comment

I used to be very OCD about cleaning my barrels. Even after only 1 shot fired. I now let the rifle tell me when to clean. At best usually after deer season. Or for my range guns about 200 rounds or twice yearly. Haven't noticed any changes to accuracy but think most of my guns shoot better dirty.

Comment

I have a few that haven't been "cleaned" in 10 years or more. I only clean during break in and not very much then. If one starts shooting bad then I check for copper fouling and scope holding zero. Copper fouling seems to be the worst culprit. I don't consider running a dry patch or pulling a snake thru the bore as cleaning, just removing anything corrosive that might be in there.

If one needs copper fouling removed I use Sweets 7.62 and take my time doing it. Afterward I spray some carb cleaner down the bore and then blow it out with 150 psi air to get it real dry. I do not oil the bore after that as guns are stored inside in humdidity controlled safe.

A good bore scope will show you if there is excessive copper fouling.

Comment

Originally posted by muddydog View Post
                          but think most of my guns shoot better dirty.
                          Some guns are like that. I've had a simple dry patch run thru cause the next round to be a flyer. Don't have a clue why. I have a Browning A-bolt micro .308 that won't start laying a tight group until after 10-15 rounds fired after cleaning. It's a stainless barrel so it will never ever get cleaned again

Comment

There’s been a
                            Or more rifles ruined by cleaning with improper equipment than by not cleaning at all

Comment

I clean my hunting rifles MAYBE once a year. Maybe.

After you clean it you better shoot some fouling shots or it is going to be off.

Absolutely no reason to clean a gun as much as some guys do.

Comment

Taking notes of members I wont buy guns from.

Comment

Working...
                                X