Shooting in Back Yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting in Back Yard

I have a block and a buck target for practice in my back yard. Once in awhile my son misses by just an inch or two and whacks my back fence. I am also worried about an arrow on the off chance making it out of my yard between pickets. So, my question is, what do you guys do for backstops in back yards? Hay bales? Compressed cardboard? Thanks.

Sonny

Originally posted by HUNTNETIME View Post
    I have a block and a buck target for practice in my back yard. Once in awhile my son misses by just an inch or two and whacks my back fence. I am also worried about an arrow on the off chance making it out of my yard between pickets. So, my question is, what do you guys do for backstops in back yards? Hay bales? Compressed cardboard? Thanks.

Sonny
    Don't shoot in my Dallas backyard anymore. Illegal and an arrow punched a neighbors house once...

Comment

A couple of pieces of particular board on the fence are a cheap backstop

I miss judged the cross wind holdover and put one through the AC unit once. Oops.

Comment

Rubber stall mat from Tractor Supply. And as someone who has had an arrow slip between pickets, fly 50yds across the green belt and smack three inches deep into the next fence, I highly recommend using a backstop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fortunately the house behind us is quite a ways back. I'd say at least 70 yards, but never EVER want an arrow leaving my property.

Comment

I like the rubber stall mat idea. How thick do you think they would need to be to stop a field point and/or a broadhead?

Comment

I had a 4'X8' sheet of cement board leftover from a project that I set up along my fence behind my target. Haven't sent an arrow into it yet, but I imagine it'll slow it down considerably if not destroy it.

When I was younger, my dad set up an old comforter doubled over and hanged on a piece of wire/clothesline. It was thick enough and had enough give since it was hanging suspended that it soaked up the arrows energy. May be a good option for yall. You can pick up an old thick bedspread from goodwill or a garage for around $10 if you don't have one hanging around.

Good Luck!

Comment

I have sent more than a couple of arrow off range in my day. When I was a kid I put one through the back door of our house. I think I still have some scaring from that beating. My advice is either shoot towards your own house or find another place to shoot. The legal issues you might face if your son sent one over the fence and actually hit somebody would be financially devistating. The stall mats at tractor supply work great ! Just my 2 cents
                Last edited by sharkhunter; 01-21-2019, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                  Rubber stall mat from Tractor Supply. And as someone who has had an arrow slip between pickets, fly 50yds across the green belt and smack three inches deep into the next fence, I highly recommend using a backstop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  This is the way to go

Comment

try carpet draped over a 2x8

Comment

My indoor range setup in the shop
                      Tractor supply mats just in case
                      Attached Files

Comment

And the feeder shot is my favorite
                        Attached Files

Comment

The mat ideas are great but what if on the draw he accidentally releases or the loop breaks sending it over the fence and into the neighbors house, pet or worse yet a person. That is a very dangerous practice. Go to an open lot or park, one of my best friends was driving down street in her neighborhood on her way home, arrow struck her drivers side door and stuck in just a couple inches below window.
                          The possible danger is not worth some extra practice. Accidents happen

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTNETIME View Post
                            Fortunately the house behind us is quite a ways back. I'd say at least 70 yards, but never EVER want an arrow leaving my property.
                            Even the smallest youth bow shoots well over 70yds especially if elevated or ricochet. The house should be least of worries, don't take that chance.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                              And the feeder shot is my favorite
                              Where are you getting those target/images from? Those would be great for daughter to learn shot placement.

Comment

Working...
                              X