Hog Trap Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Trap Question

Some friends of mine here in Oklahoma have a lease that has quite a few pigs on it. After season, they’ve asked me to come in and help them trap some. What is the best way to do this? Can we set up one big trap around the feeder - like a feeder pen? I’ve built / used traps in the past, but they were usually smaller, and we were only catching a couple at a time.

Would a big “6” shaped trap work around the feeder? Looking for some feedback.

Thanks,
    Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one pen trap that is 100' around---6-16' panels plus the 4' gate with the feeder inside. Does a good job. Setting up another one on another property tomorrow--but it is a bit smaller---3 20' panels and a 4' gate with a feeder inside. I also have a cage trap which works but generally only catch 2-3-4 pigs at a time. I have caught as many as 11 in the big pen trap at once, so if you have high numbers, get a bigger trap. Also, spread lots of corn inside the entrance and the first half of the trap to get more inside. If you just put the corn/bait toward the back at the trigger, the first one may go straight back and trip it before any of the rest come into the trap. I also recommend you keep the angle iron on the trap gate covered and not put corn over it. If the iron is exposed it seems to keep as many of the older more cautious ones from coming in. I have a game cam on one of the t-posts and when it shows they are coming in regularly I set the trap and generally have a catch in a night or two at most. Takes some time or rain after I've shot a bunch in the trap for them to come back.

Comment

Working...
    X