Used RV:: What to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used RV:: What to look for?

Thinking of buying a used Travel Trailer. Besides a good roof, soft spots in walls, and floors, water damage, and good axles, what should I be looking for?

Let's hear it.

Electrical

Rodent holes

Comment

Make sure the fridge works
      Check all plumbing
      Check the roof again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Run the ac for some time.
        Check tires for dry rot.
        Open up the propane tanks and spray the lines and valves with soapy water to check for leaks.
        Turn on oven and stove
        Check hot water tank.
        Run the pump. Turn all faucets off and see if there is a leak with pump on.
        Visually check the water tank and pump area for leaks
        Pull down the awning (if equipped)
        Check roof closely
        Check 12 volt lights and then recheck lights/plugs connected to outside power

Comment

My opinion a rv or boat that has rarely been used or been sitting a long time is the biggest killer. (Just like brand new tires that have been sitting for a long time. Dry rot and flat spots. Same concept) (Dry rot on water tubes. Holding tanks. Gaskets etc....). To include gaskets on roof for leaks. Wheel bearings. A definite luck of the draw! Good luck.

Comment

Yes, make sure and be able to check all the above. I bought a used one last year and he had it at a storage yard where I couldn't hook it up to check anything. It was a great deal on a nice trailer and just basically did a visual inspection and took his word for it. Got it home and hooked it up. Ended up fixing 6 water leaks where mice chewed the water lines. Thank God for Shark Bite couplings. Lol
            Other than that, it was a great buy.

Comment

Roof,roof,and roof

Comment

I didn't see if you're buying (used) from local travel trailers company or CL,or personal.
                If from company it should come with some type of warranty,if otherwise it comes down to honesty and I would find a buddy that knows what and how to look for..if it has AC run it full blast for about 30 mins,sink run water for about 2-3 mins. Good luck bud

Comment

Originally posted by Matt2006Martin View Post
                  I didn't see if you're buying (used) from local travel trailers company or CL,or personal.
                  If from company it should come with some type of warranty,if otherwise it comes down to honesty and I would find a buddy that knows what and how to look for..if it has AC run it full blast for about 30 mins,sink run water for about 2-3 mins. Good luck bud
                  From an individual.

Comment

Lots of dealerships will do inspections for you for around $100. If it's one you like, might be a good investment/insurance. Even if they find small stuff you can negotiate that into the price possibly

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      Lots of dealerships will do inspections for you for around $100. If it's one you like, might be a good investment/insurance. Even if they find small stuff you can negotiate that into the price possibly
                      Good to know. Thanks!

Comment

Where is the Rv located? I'm a Rv inspector and can make a trip if it's not too far away, I also own a Rv park so maybe see if you can take it for a test run and I'll hook you up on a site and do the inspection here. I'm located in Concan.

Comment

I got burned badly on a deal from here so I am still somewhat bitter. Just remember, with todays population, being 100% honest with their product isn't a sure thing. I was looked in the eye and lied to. If they won't or can't hook up to electric and water to test things, run away. Open all cabinet doors and look inside for water damage from leaks. Inspect the roof whatever it takes to get up there. Do all things previously posted. Good luck with your purchase, hopefully it wont cost you 4000.00 like it did me. Oh, and if there are some seemingly minor repairs that you can't fix, keep in mind dealerships charge 100.00 an hour, or at least the one that worked on mine does and they don't pro rate, its a flat fee.

Comment

Look for delamination of the walls if its fiberglass. Just spent a fortune fixing the side wall on one I got a great deal on.

Comment

Originally posted by camarohrod View Post
                              Where is the Rv located? I'm a Rv inspector and can make a trip if it's not too far away, I also own a Rv park so maybe see if you can take it for a test run and I'll hook you up on a site and do the inspection here. I'm located in Concan.
                              Thanks for the offer but we are too far away.

Comment

Working...
                              X