Colorado bend SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado bend SP

Looking to plan a trip up to Colorado bend state park in late February or early march want to take my son up and get into some white bass

Any recommendations on campsites and or time of year not sure if February is too early for them to be up the river?

Colorado Bend State park. They have sites with electric and primitive. Mid to late February, depending on water temps should be about perfect. Early March is usually good. Mid week is the best. Lots of people on the weekends! JMO!

Comment

We do pretty good on the whites about 30 miles up river from there. Best time the last few years has been March 7-14.

Comment

$65 for the one room cabins at the Bend store. Community bathroom I think.

Or reserve (super early) a campsite with electric as mentioned above. Weekends are always booked in advance for all camp sites.

Comment

Do you have a boat?

Comment

I fly fish for them in the park mid-March and always seem to catch more than a limit in an afternoon.

Comment

Definatly a good time will be had. I've only camped primative so I got nothin on the camp sites.
              You might also google bare foot camp and lemmons camp. I believe they are both still out that way.

Comment

I should have mentioned will be primitive camping so electricity is not needed.

Brandon no I do not have a boat so will be stomping the banks

Comment

I'd get on the TPWD website and reserve spots now. State Parks fill up fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                    I should have mentioned will be primitive camping so electricity is not needed.

Brandon no I do not have a boat so will be stomping the banks
                    Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                    This

Get with the other TBHer looking to catch white bass. He has a boat. I'll show you the catfish holes close to the park if you do. And a couple white bass staging areas.

Bank fishing can be tough BTW. If you hit it just right it can be super easy..but banks get crowded and you will need to wade out.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                      This ^^^
                      We booked a couple months ago and couldn't get anything in March. We are going 4/13.

Comment

Well had no idea the state parks filled up so fast especially on the primitive spots

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                          Well had no idea the state parks filled up so fast especially on the primitive spots
                          If I were wanting to camp and pound the banks I would forgo Bend During the “run”and stay at one of the other state parks on the south end during April /May or whenever the shad are running the bank. The whites, stripers, largemouth all come in shallow. You have to be up at sunrise but no telling what you will catch . Largest LMB I’ve caught on Buch, 9 and change was feeding on shad running the banks
                          Last edited by BrandonA; 01-15-2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            If I were wanting to camp and pound the banks I would forgo Bend and stay at one of the other state parks on the south end during April /May or whenever the shad are running the bank. The whites, stripers, largemouth all come in shallow. You have to be up at sunrise but no telling what you will catch . Largest LMB I’ve caught on Buch, 9 and change was feeding on shad running the banks
                            ^ This. Most central lakes will have their shad spawn/run on shorelines from about mid-April to Mid-May and it is lights out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                              ^ This. Most central lakes will have their shad spawn/run on shorelines from about mid-April to Mid-May and it is lights out.
                              68 degrees. Take a 4-5ft cast net catch a net full dump them in bucket When they get stressed and flopping turn them lose. Know your fish and know your bait and they are easy to catch. Clear tiny tordeo is hard to beat and a white silver rooster spin is hard to beat. It’s this time of year I like to run planer boards and free line 6”-7” inch gizzards for big fish. With planers And free line I my baits 0-10ft. Max told me once if you aren’t hitting your skeg you’re fishing to deep. Planer board Solve that . Run the banks. Jackie and I did this and we had a 2 man limit in 2 hours with small fish just 10- and big fish right at 15. Threw back I don’t know how many
                              Last edited by BrandonA; 01-15-2019, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X