No announcement yet.

Best steak cut. You're probably wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back when I was young, poor and just starting a family we used to get round steak. What ever happened to round steak?

Comment

At the deer lease, it is ribeye with salt/pepper cooked medium rare all day long!

At home we do dry aged filets every Sunday for dinner. Meat, Fiesta steak seasoning, flame each side for a crust, then cook to 125 degrees internal temp and rest for 5 minutes.

- I don’t chase dreams, I HUNT goals

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
        At the deer lease, it is ribeye with salt/pepper cooked medium rare all day long!

At home we do dry aged filets every Sunday for dinner. Meat, Fiesta steak seasoning, flame each side for a crust, then cook to 125 degrees internal temp and rest for 5 minutes.

This looks awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
          Okay, just went to my favorite steak restaurant and ordered my favorite steak cut and temp to have it cooked to. Delicious as usual. EXCEPT, my wife decided to try something new and it totally blew my mind! But, before I get to the point, here's a little history about my steak upbringing. As far as I can remember, my father would always grill every Sunday. It was seven cut steak from the butcher with their own seasoning over charcoal. Well done. Meat always had to be well done. Otherwise we would get worms, according to mom. This was an El Paso tradition since I was a little kid. Then one day for prom we all went to Cattlemans. A well known steak place in El Paso. To my surprise there was no seven steak on the menu. All other kinds of cuts except for seven. What the heck?! The waiter recommended something called a ribeye so I went ahead and ordere that. Well done, of course. Well holy hellz if that wasn't the biggest cut I've ever seen. "This", I said to myself, "is what rich people eat". lol. Anyway, a few years after that I moved to San Antonio (thank god) and me and my girlfriend decided to go to a steak restaurant (we were poor and just started working decent jobs). We went to a restaurant named Texas Road House. Man! We were living it up! I saw that they had ribeye on the menu and I decided to plunge since we could now afford a little more in our budget. Well done, of course. My girlfriend at the time ordered the same cut except she ordered it medium. "Are you crazy?! You wanna get worms?!" The waiter explained that all steaks were cooked to at least around 135-140 making the steak completely safe. Well, I didn't take any chances. When out food came out, her steak was the most juices steak I had ever seen. But, nonthenless, I ate mine. At the end, she offered me a bite and promised that I would not get worms. "Fine", I said, and I took a bite. Oh my god!! It was heaven!! What the heck have I've been doing to steak my whole life? I've literally burned off all the flavor out of my steaks!! From then on, medium ribeye it was for me. I've been having the same cut and temp now for over 15 years. About two years ago I tried the prime rib and it was also amazing. I'll order that every once in a while. So, here in SA, I've been to many a steak restaurants, but my altimeter favorite is Saltgrass. They just make a dang fine steak. So, tonight the wife and I went to our local steak house and I ordered the same as usual. Pats ribeye, medium, with a side of brussel sprouts. My wife usually also orders the same except this tonight. This time she ordered the filet. "Why?" I asked. "Because she wanted to try something new". Fair enough. She ordered it medium as well. Our plates got to our table and I egain to devour my steak. I asked my wife how her strak was and she said it was better than the ribeye. I almost threaded her with a divorce! But, I had to try it. And be known to me, it was amazing! It was just as good as a ribeye but just a bit more flavor. I think it was more meat flavorful because it was a lean cut. But I enjoy the marbling on a rib eye. What do you prefer and why?
          Have you ever been to the barn door on N New Braunfels at 410 near Alamo heights

It is my favorite steak house in San Antonio I think its better than Ruth Chris but half the price

If you go for lunch get the chicken fried steak if you go for dinner the wife gets a serloin or filet and I always get the ribeye I have had all their steaks can't go wrong with any.

kronik by Diamond

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post

For the win!!

Comment

Ribeye 1.25" seared over mesquite coals.
              I've never had a restaurant steak that was half as good as my home cooked ones.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                For the win!!
                Hail ya!......I just seasoned 4 up for this afternoon along with some babybacks.

Comment

Dry aged ribeye - sous vide for 3 hours at 131 degrees -- sear in cast iron for 1 min per side -- thank me later

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                    [ATTACH]905549[/ATTACH]

This is a dang good steak, going to wood fire it for supper tonight medium rare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    I've never eaten a tomahawk steak/chop. It seems to me that you are paying a premium price for a lot of bone. May be a great steak though.

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
                      I've never eaten a tomahawk steak/chop. It seems to me that you are paying a premium price for a lot of bone. May be a great steak though.

Yeah you pay for a lot of bone for sure. I received a few as a gift I normally would just buy a nice boneless ribeye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

as mentioned earlier, please order your steaks medium rare. You will never go back to eating a medium steak....you loose sooo much flavor going from medium rare to medium.

Also, my favorite cut is a filet. That said, I will indulge in a good porterhouse or Rib-eye on occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post

Agreed.....Its basically a bone-in ribeye with a lot of the rib bone still attached for presentation. Plus they are more expensive due to the novelty and the extra bone adds weight at a ribeye price. Win win for the butcher.

Had a fellar try to tell me that a Tomahawk was better than a bone-in ribeye or regular ribeye...... I explained to him what a Tomahawk was.......result....cow staring at a new gate..

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
                            My favorite is a Porterhouse. You get both the New York strip and fillet in one steak.
                            This, and I have been hung up on a prime NY strip or KC strip for awhile now, too me it just has the right amount of everything, I used to buy nothing but ribeye and an occasional fillet and sirloin.

Comment

Steak

First of all, steak should be done RARE or MEDIUM RARE. Hot and fast.

If anyone ever orders their steak well done (or even medium-well), they're dead to me.

As for cut, Ribeye is good, but can be a little bit too fatty depending. Porterhouse is excellent. NY Strip is good. T-Bone is overrated, just the less-good end of the same cut as porterhouse.

But, as a lot of the other commenters are pointing out, the type of cow can also have a lot to do with it. Wagyu and Akaushi are both Japanese breeds with very good marbling, but some folks don't like the flavor. Also the thickness of the cut matters a lot, esp if you're doing it rare like you should be. A nice thick steak is better than a thin one.

Comment

Strip would be the best cut.

Anything above medium rare is waste of effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X