Mosquitoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mosquitoes

Headed to the river this weekend and the mosquitoes are awful down there. Looking for something to keep them away. Especially since our kids will be with us. Thanks
    Ryan

Good old fashioned bug spray is going to be your best bet.

Comment

Get a spray with PICARDIN, not DEET. DEET is not a repellant. Good ole fashion bug spray, ain't worth a crap.
      I would take a thermocell as well.

Comment

Do those candles work? Need something to hang up and place on tables too

Comment

Mix up some promethium in a pump up sprayer and spray around campsite or wherever you will be hanging out

Comment

Vic vapor rub works well on the back of the neck, back of the knees, and around the ankles. They hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by b.a.saha View Post
              Mix up some promethium in a pump up sprayer and spray around campsite or wherever you will be hanging out
              Probably don't want to spray promethium as all of it's isotopes are radioactive

You're thinking of pyrethrum or permethrin, which do kill mosquitos, but be advised it is illegal to spray either within 100' of any body of water as they are both extremely toxic to aquatic life. And unless you have a backpack leafblower-style broadcaster you're not going to get very good coverage to begin with.

Citronella candles work okay, but when in an uncontrolled environment - good old fashioned deet-based OFF has been proven to be the most effective method of preventing mosquito bites.

Source: I used to sell mosquito abatement chemicals for a living.
              Last edited by Hank Hill; 06-15-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

keep in mind chiggers ... they ate me up last weekend .. worse than the skeeters ..

Comment

Originally posted by Parramore View Post
                  Vic vapor rub works well on the back of the neck, back of the knees, and around the ankles. They hate it.
                  yup... vicks works wonders

Comment

Never tried Vicks but my buddy had that thermocell with us on our last trip. I was amazed...

Does the Vicks keep them away in general or just the spots you put it on?

Comment

You need to get each person a Thermacell and a holster to carry it in. I think Academy has theirs on sale at $19.99/each. Holsters are about $5.00. They are worth their weight in gold, but they are not waterproof. They also make a little lantern that you can use in your tent at night to help keep the skeeters away. I bring spray insect repellent (Deep Woods Off) as a back-up. Unfortunately, the skeeters love me and will bypass others to come munch on me.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

I agree with the above. A thermacell and deep woods off is the way to go. The deep woods off also repels ticks and chiggers.

Comment

I want to know more about the vicks i've never heard of doing that. I always use a thermacell.

Comment

Mosquitos are awful this year!!!! And those dang biting bats. I'm all ate up from both and usually don't get stung/bit by either!

Comment

Thermocell and OFF. I use OFF everyday for work and keeps the skeeters and ticks off me...

Comment

Working...
                              X