Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #51
Merc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vanderpool/Alaska...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Am I understanding the general (rifle) hunt at Aransas NWR correctly? 300 permits with up to 4 hunters per permit on less than 20,000 acres. And it appears that each hunter has access to the entire property?
Even with 3 separate hunt dates (100 groups per date), that is less than 50 acres per hunter?
I maybe wrong but I think it's 300 permits period. If there are 4 in a group then that's 4 of the 300, not 1 split 4 ways.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 04:53 PM   #52
ibethemarc
Spike

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
I am releasing a cabin at Hoppers tomorrow, I am taking my camper instead.

Thumper has spoken that he is willing to split the cabin (5 beds) with others. The cost is $110/night. If any of you TBH'ers are willing to split the cost with Thumper, whom will be hunting the full 9 days, then I would suggest that you contact Thumper and make arrangements. It would be very cost effective for a few guys to split that and share the cabin. I feel that as soon as I release the reservation, there may already be a someone else in line. I will wait until tomorrow afternoon (3pm) to release it. Hopefully, some fellow TBH'ers will be ready to take it over.

If anyone is interested, I'd suggest not waiting and contact Thumper immediately. Hope you're okay with me putting this out there Mr. Thumper.
Did anybody grab the reservation? I meant to call in, but got caught up with work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
ibethemarc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #53
moondog
Spike

Hunt In: Webb, Garza, Scurry and Borden Counties
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
I maybe wrong but I think it's 300 permits period. If there are 4 in a group then that's 4 of the 300, not 1 split 4 ways.

Well, that's a little better. But that still seems to be a lot of hunters in that area.
I have applied though.
moondog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #54
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibethemarc View Post
Did anybody grab the reservation? I meant to call in, but got caught up with work.

No one has grabbed it, I've also got tied up with work and have not yet released it. I will call and attempted to get that lady on the phone now.

EDIT: CABIN 4 has been released.

Last edited by GBludau; 09-04-2018 at 07:50 PM.
GBludau is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #55
CoswayTyler
Spike

Hunt In: Everywhere

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas on this hunt! I have been wanting to do it ever since I moved to corpus back in 2013 but never could get everything to line up. This is the 1st year that I've put in for the draw and I guess by fate I got drawn on the 2nd draw for this hunt. I had a dream the other night that I shot a 168" buck and they made a huge deal about it because it was one of the bigger ones harvested of Aransas! Hope my dream comes true! Looking forward to meeting some of y'all on this hunt. I have already met some people going on this hunt in Facebook.
CoswayTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2018, 11:59 PM   #56
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Am I understanding the general (rifle) hunt at Aransas NWR correctly? 300 permits with up to 4 hunters per permit on less than 20,000 acres. And it appears that each hunter has access to the entire property?
Even with 3 separate hunt dates (100 groups per date), that is less than 50 acres per hunter?
The archery hunt is 300 permits, only 250 hunters will show up opening weekend. During the week maybe 85, last weekend of the hunt might have 150 on Fri-say. Last day of the hunt only 50. Archery area is 33k acres.

The rifle hunts have 85 permits for each hunt, 19k acres. I'm guessing only 65 will show up to hunt.
Thumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #57
GBludau
Eight Point

Hang ons, climbing sticks, ladder stands, tripods are all coming with me.

What do you each intend to set? I bring the arsenal for the versatility depending on what will work best.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #58
CoswayTyler
Spike

Quote:
Hang ons, climbing sticks, ladder stands, tripods are all coming with me.

What do you each intend to set? I bring the arsenal for the versatility depending on what will work best.

I'm bringing two ameristep pop up blinds and two 8' tripods. I'm preferring the pop ups due to the fact I "think" I will be able to ditch my big suit once I'm in the blind and the thermacell has filled the pop up with whatever's chemicals it fills the air with 😂
However, I want to be versatile and that's why I'm bringing both.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #59
philipolsen
Spike

Hunt In: where ever i can

I'll be bringing my 8' stand but it's kinda bulky, so I'll have a pop up as my back up plan if needed
philipolsen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #60
Dmillerdesign
Four Point

Hunt In: TX

I'll be saddle hunting and will have pop up as back up.
Dmillerdesign is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #61
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmillerdesign View Post
I also got a Sit & Drag saddle a few years ago.

Typically I just climb whatever trees and make shift...no stand. Has put several primitive public land trophies on the wall. Definitely a different style. Much like the native Indians that inhabited the marshes of Aransas, the Karankawas. Get NATIVE!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2018, 07:15 AM   #62
BackwoodzHank
Four Point

Hunt In: Leon/Hunt/Fannin, idaho, colorado

Thumper, pm sent
BackwoodzHank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #63
Jen
Nubbin' Buck

First time applying, first time drawn, first time hunting this area. Not hearing great things so far and a little concerned about water moccasins/gators in a pop up blind. Has anyone found the ground blinds with floors to be too noisy or cumbersome? Fished this area last week and saw plenty of hogs (of course) from the boat.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #64
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Thumper you get drawn ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #65
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Thumper you get drawn ?

Yep, but a lot of the regulars didn't::

Aransas is a pretty hard hunt not under the best conditions and elements. After a couple years of the draw the word will get around and we'll be back to having permits let over.

There's been 400 $65 over the counter permits for the archery hunt the last ten years and the most sold was less than 250. Some years only 150 or so were sold.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #66
CoswayTyler
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Aransas is a pretty hard hunt not under the best conditions and elements. After a couple years of the draw the word will get around and we'll be back to having permits let over.

There's been 400 $65 over the counter permits for the archery hunt the last ten years and the most sold was less than 250. Some years only 150 or so were sold.
Well now they are making more money off each permit. I wonder now that it's a draw will more people show up? I would like to see them do the standby permits for sure. Thumper hopefully we can meet while we are there, after countless hours of scouring the internet looking for info on this hunt I have come to the conclusion that you are the OG god father of this hunt.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #67
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Hello yíall , Iím in .it will be my first public land hunt in Texas . Iím a swamp donkey swaking Florida cracker. I think this hunt is going to be a lot like home . Hot ,humid , mosquitoes, snakes and yo-yo hunters are par for the course. Iím crazy enough to strip down to my drawers to swim across a creek with gators alone for a chance to get a buck to ride in my truck . I think that water is not going to be much of an issue . I hunted mostly barefoot because there was no hope of keeping any boots dry . If it wasnít the water it was the sweat . Permitheran is the ticket yíall. Donít throw away your termacell pads . Spray them with it and they fall outta the air . Gators well , avoid holes with water and their eyes shine at night . If the eyes are wide apart itís a biggie . The smaller ones avoid humans as most gators will . I feel that at least here we dont have drunk *******s on swamp buggies busting up your hunt and littering everywhere.Also Texans are about the best kind hearted honest great Americans anyone could ask for . I never expected to get picked . Truth be told a hunt in a swamp was the last place I thought I would end up . Iíll be camping at gators primitive camping . I will not be scouting during the hunt and know to avoid others . I hate a spot crashing bonehead but itís public land and itís going to happen . I feel terrible for the ole boys that live around there that depended on the place for their hunting . The new system strips that away from them. TPWD , has it so that the hunters take on all the risk and they get all the money . So what if they get to harvest anything . This is my hope, that since there are no buggies or traffic allowed and Texas having more deer than I ever seen in my whole life that our chances are far greater by far. Hunting on Florida public land is insanely difficult. I have seen more deer in my yard and around Austin hill country than any of my friends back home could even imagine. I love Texas.
Leonitas1306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #68
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Quote:
I willbe saddle hunting also . Good luck 🍀 I feel itís the best way to go there .
Old 09-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #69
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Quote:

Thumper , I think that the regulars got pushed out by this new system . Iím new in to the state but Iím a working man and have always relyed on public land hunt. Especially the ones close by. I canít critic, the TPWD especially because the have provided me an opportunity and they have done an incredible job for the game here . I also donít understand all the ins and outs . So now I pay to play by the rules .
Old 09-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #70
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Quote:
I also got a Sit & Drag saddle a few years ago.

Typically I just climb whatever trees and make shift...no stand. Has put several primitive public land trophies on the wall. Definitely a different style. Much like the native Indians that inhabited the marshes of Aransas, the Karankawas. Get NATIVE!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I agree sit and drag is the way for me . I killed myself carring all the stands and crap. Not any more. Lol.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #71
kingranch
Ten Point

Bring ur off
I was there this weekend and skeeters are something fierce....like dragonfly size by the millions
Also watch out for the toothy critters in the green armor had this one swim up to us wade fishing
Attached Images

kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2018, 10:17 PM   #72
Jen
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch View Post
Bring ur off
I was there this weekend and skeeters are something fierce....like dragonfly size by the millions
Also watch out for the toothy critters in the green armor had this one swim up to us wade fishing
Nice photo, heard from a guide in the area that an old man got a nice chunk taken out of his calf while wading last year...be safe!
Old 09-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #73
Jen
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
Hello yíall , Iím in .it will be my first public land hunt in Texas . Iím a swamp donkey swaking Florida cracker. I think this hunt is going to be a lot like home . Hot ,humid , mosquitoes, snakes and yo-yo hunters are par for the course. Iím crazy enough to strip down to my drawers to swim across a creek with gators alone for a chance to get a buck to ride in my truck . I think that water is not going to be much of an issue . I hunted mostly barefoot because there was no hope of keeping any boots dry . If it wasnít the water it was the sweat . Permitheran is the ticket yíall. Donít throw away your termacell pads . Spray them with it and they fall outta the air . Gators well , avoid holes with water and their eyes shine at night . If the eyes are wide apart itís a biggie . The smaller ones avoid humans as most gators will . I feel that at least here we dont have drunk *******s on swamp buggies busting up your hunt and littering everywhere.Also Texans are about the best kind hearted honest great Americans anyone could ask for . I never expected to get picked . Truth be told a hunt in a swamp was the last place I thought I would end up . Iíll be camping at gators primitive camping . I will not be scouting during the hunt and know to avoid others . I hate a spot crashing bonehead but itís public land and itís going to happen . I feel terrible for the ole boys that live around there that depended on the place for their hunting . The new system strips that away from them. TPWD , has it so that the hunters take on all the risk and they get all the money . So what if they get to harvest anything . This is my hope, that since there are no buggies or traffic allowed and Texas having more deer than I ever seen in my whole life that our chances are far greater by far. Hunting on Florida public land is insanely difficult. I have seen more deer in my yard and around Austin hill country than any of my friends back home could even imagine. I love Texas.
If I witness someone in their drawers swimming with the gators to get a buck, it will all be worth it, hah! Welcome to Texas, swamp donkey.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:08 PM   #74
Merc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vanderpool/Alaska...

Well, I said I was hunting this but have an antelope hunt in Wyoming that hopefully will be getting me back in time, if not, I'll be one of the no shows for it.

Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #75
ibethemarc
Spike

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

This concept of sit and drag intrigues me. Do you guys do any modifications to sit higher in the tree or do you stay at ground level?

ibethemarc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2018, 09:11 AM   #76
Dmillerdesign
Four Point

Hunt In: TX

I like to get higher 15-20' depending on the tree. i climb with a molle webbing ladder, tied into tree with lineman rope, harness...etc. My whole system is intended to not drill/screw/damage any tree, which works well on public. If you go on youtube and look up G2 Outdoors, he has a lot of good videos on mods and different set ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibethemarc View Post
This concept of sit and drag intrigues me. Do you guys do any modifications to sit higher in the tree or do you stay at ground level?

Dmillerdesign is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #77
Slim79x
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Anywhere there is an opportunity.

Quote:
I like to get higher 15-20' depending on the tree. i climb with a molle webbing ladder, tied into tree with lineman rope, harness...etc. My whole system is intended to not drill/screw/damage any tree, which works well on public. If you go on youtube and look up G2 Outdoors, he has a lot of good videos on mods and different set ups.
I had intended to just bring my pop up blind because it is all i currently own but i may be investing in a saddle setup after watching some of that guy's videos.
Slim79x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #78
bsgp8ntball
Nubbin' Buck

I was under the impression the trees were not big enough or in favorable enough spot to use a ladder stand... wouldn't this apply to a saddle as well?
bsgp8ntball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #79
Jen
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsgp8ntball View Post
I was under the impression the trees were not big enough or in favorable enough spot to use a ladder stand... wouldn't this apply to a saddle as well?

My thoughts as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #80
CoswayTyler
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
My thoughts as well...

My understanding is that the terrain changes across the refuge. I know that there are some bigger oak on the property. A lot of smaller scrub oak as well, so really it just depends on the specific spot that you pick out. I'm bringing tripods, groundblinds and ratchet straps that I could use to help me crawl higher into a tree and just naturally in a tree. Plus a swivel chair just in case I want to do a natural brush blind.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:32 PM   #81
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoswayTyler View Post
......Thumper hopefully we can meet while we are there, after countless hours of scouring the internet looking for info on this hunt I have come to the conclusion that you are the OG god father of this hunt.
I'm just one of the kids who grew up hunting the Refuge. The god fathers ???, Frank Johnson, Jack Suggs, Harold Wheat, Mike McNeil, Ed Dulin, Jesse Ledbetter, Bob Brister, and Bob Lee, among others. Because of them the refuge hunt happen and grew, these guys are the true god fathers of the Aransas hunt.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #82
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
My understanding is that the terrain changes across the refuge. I know that there are some bigger oak on the property. A lot of smaller scrub oak as well, so really it just depends on the specific spot that you pick out. I'm bringing tripods, groundblinds and ratchet straps that I could use to help me crawl higherr into a tree and just naturally in a tree. Plus a swivel chair just in case I want to do a natural brush blind.
X2

With their burn program the refuge is always changing, but its always the same. The big old oak motts at one time were scrub oaks and today's scrub oaks in the past were big old oaks. But the current burn program is bringing more grass areas to the refuge. When the refuge hunt 1st opened it had cattle grazing the refuge, this was the best if times for hunting the refuge. Maybe the refuge will some day bring the buffalo back to again manage and control the brush.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #83
Bonehead2314
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Guys looking for the refuge IBEP class this year that did not happen sorry. It will be back next year so yall can get the early scout. Lost my home to Harvey and still in the building stages with my new home. Sorry again.
Bonehead2314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #84
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Stepping on snakes

Quote:
Yes, at least 11" boots. In hunting the refuge for 38+ years I've stepped on dozens of water moccasins there, only three rattlesnakes.
Thumper, thatís hilarious,only three rattle snakes . Lol. The worst part is you arenít making it up . Thank you . Good luck this season.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #85
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
If I witness someone in their drawers swimming with the gators to get a buck, it will all be worth it, hah! Welcome to Texas, swamp donkey.
Jen, good to know that. I love making folks laugh. Once in my quest to make things more comfortable,because of the heat . I decided to wear my speedos the black one I used at the YMCA for swimming laps,under my bug suit with a base layer shirt . It worked out great. I bipassed the a soggy bottom part .Later that day, driving home ,I was stopped . It was a game warden . We spoke and he a bit and he offered me his card. I jumped out of my truck to grab it . His face went blank ! I didnít know why . I went home and passed my bedroom mirror . OMG , I about fell out . You could see me like I was neked. I was horrified and then realized the officer encountered something he would never forget , although he wished he could, and I never tried that again . Good luck on your hunt . God bless Texas !
Old 09-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #86
Jen
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Jen, good to know that. I love making folks laugh. Once in my quest to make things more comfortable,because of the heat . I decided to wear my speedos the black one I used at the YMCA for swimming laps,under my bug suit with a base layer shirt . It worked out great. I bipassed the a soggy bottom part .Later that day, driving home ,I was stopped . It was a game warden . We spoke and he a bit and he offered me his card. I jumped out of my truck to grab it . His face went blank ! I didnít know why . I went home and passed my bedroom mirror . OMG , I about fell out . You could see me like I was neked. I was horrified and then realized the officer encountered something he would never forget , although he wished he could, and I never tried that again . Good luck on your hunt . God bless Texas !

Old 09-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #87
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Hunting with gators as opportunityís tables turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch View Post
Bring ur off
I have to declare ,that hunting with gators is par for the course in Florida. We have to wade in our storm water treatment areas to hunt teal and goldeneyes. You often see the gators when your driving out , blowing up the water snatching a wading bird on the bank or eating your ducks. It never bothered us because we couldnít see that until day light, while we were hip deep in the marsh. I thank god im in Texas , but funny part is just as I pondered how much I will miss my formative years hunting the swamps with brother gator ... I get my first drawn hunt in Aransas . Lol, life is funnier than fiction.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #88
CoswayTyler
Spike

Quote:
I have to declare ,that hunting with gators is par for the course in Florida. We have to wade in our storm water treatment areas to hunt teal and goldeneyes. You often see the gators when your driving out , blowing up the water snatching a wading bird on the bank or eating your ducks. It never bothered us because we couldnít see that until day light, while we were hip deep in the marsh. I thank god im in Texas , but funny part is just as I pondered how much I will miss my formative years hunting the swamps with brother gator ... I get my first drawn hunt in Aransas . Lol, life is funnier than fiction.

Let me get your number, that way if I shoot a deer and he goes into the water you can go get it. Not saying I'm scared or anything, but if you and the gators are boys like that then there's no sense in me trying to make their aquatints! Lol
Old 09-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #89
CoswayTyler
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonehead2314 View Post
Guys looking for the refuge IBEP class this year that did not happen sorry. It will be back next year so yall can get the early scout. Lost my home to Harvey and still in the building stages with my new home. Sorry again.
Sir, please don't be sorry. In fact, we are the ones that should be sorry. I was extremely blessed and lucky during that storm that my business was not affected much at while others were destroyed. I still think about it a lot and the fact that some people, like yourself are still hurting/fixing things and getting back to normal. I know I don't know you, but if there's anything I can do to help you then let me know.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #90
CoswayTyler
Spike

Quote:
I'm just one of the kids who grew up hunting the Refuge. The god fathers ???, Frank Johnson, Jack Suggs, Harold Wheat, Mike McNeil, Ed Dulin, Jesse Ledbetter, Bob Brister, and Bob Lee, among others. Because of them the refuge hunt happen and grew, these guys are the true god fathers of the Aransas hunt.
Man that's awesome. I think I feel an attachment to the Aransas because I have literally studied it and wanted to hunt it since 2013. However, work and life have taken a lot of time over the last 5 years and I'm now getting to a position where I can start enjoying things again. I was really bummed out when I found out Aransas went to the draw system. So then I put in for the draw and I didn't get drawn the 1st go around. Needless to say I was bummed, but as fate had it I got picked up on the second go around and here we are. 21 days and counting!!!! I would still love to meet you and here some stories about the Aransas. How long have you been hunting it?
Old 09-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #91
Bonehead2314
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Cosway Tyler thanks and I will let ya know. Its been un comfortable but a Blessing at the same time. The storm has given us the chance to build our dream home.
Bonehead2314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #92
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Default Most times gators avoid folks

Quote:
Let me get your number, that way if I shoot a deer and he goes into the water you can go get it. Not saying I'm scared or anything, but if you and the gators are boys like that then there's no sense in me trying to make their aquatints! Lol
Brother I just hope I donít loose another deer to a gator . That really hurts me. I wonder how this could be so hard a hunt if there is no off road vehicles like airboats and hunt buggies . These deer donít get chased around and the pressure from humans there is a significantly less than public lands back home . Guys , walk in on your set like a walk through the park without a care for others . Others run dogs . Texas , and its smallest population of deer are still far greater in numbers than any great spot back home . Especially in a national forest . What ever it is this place has far better odds than any public land I ever hunted back home . I know how blessed I am to hunt Aransas . I canít wait. Good luck brother. If anyone needs help from me thy need just ask. God bless
Old 09-08-2018, 08:49 PM   #93
Leonitas1306
Four Point

Gentlemen, can anyone tell me what bio-degradable flagging looks like ? TP ? Or just plane ole paper ? This is a great concept but so forgien to me. I heard it was the only excptable method of marking trails ? How bout bread crumbs ? Lol All humor aside this is seriously a request for good solid input .
Old 09-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #94
Leonitas1306
Four Point

My blood brothers as Uncle Ted ,would say. If the humidity is as bad as the direct sun , I would like to share a jewel with y’all . I stay hydrated with NUUN tablets pronounced (noon). Will save you a lot of weight and trash bottles N such. They are flavored but have no sugar and all the electrolytes with minerals your body needs . There are a small tube filled with these water desolving tablets . They desolve like alkaselzrs ,so just bring your water bottle and drop in a tablet . Thank me later . These work for marathon runners and they will work for y’all. Whole Foods carries them. This is not a plug , it really works
Old 09-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #95
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb/Jim Hogg

We used to hunt there in high school many, many moons ago. Back when you could still camp along the road. I think it was way easier back then. Hogs were a give me as we passed a ton of them up after the second day. Deer were plentiful also. Never saw a ton of big bucks but a lot of decent ones were brought back to the check station.

Mosquitos? Heck you ain't seen skeeters like ANWR. There terrible. Snakes are there but if we are lucky enough to get a front during the hunt it will keep them at bay. Gators will still be there but I personally never saw a true monster in the hunt area although I know they are around. If you plan on using a thermacell in a pop up hope for wind. You will be choked out quickly.

We were on a budget back then so we just hunted the wind and hunted off 6' Camo spray painted fold out aluminum ladders. Really light and you can tuck them in the shortest oak motts that are all over the place. You can also climb some of the live oaks there. We hunted the same spots year after year and stuck a lot of deer. I recommend water proof snake boots or atleast some 18" water boots. Only takes a little rain to flood this area. Good luck to all this year.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #96
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Gentlemen, can anyone tell me what bio-degradable flagging looks like ? TP ? Or just plane ole paper ? This is a great concept but so forgien to me. I heard it was the only excptable method of marking trails ? How bout bread crumbs ? Lol All humor aside this is seriously a request for good solid input .
The bowhunting flagging must be white, they sell it there at the refuge. TP should work just as well I'm guessing.

Flagging is a complicating issue on the refuge. Some hunters flag the road for a half mile in both directions to mark their spot. Others flag a half dozen or more spots and only hunt one or two.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #97
CoswayTyler
Spike

Quote:
The bowhunting flagging must be white, they sell it there at the refuge. TP should work just as well I'm guessing.

Flagging is a complicating issue on the refuge. Some hunters flag the road for a half mile in both directions to mark their spot. Others flag a half dozen or more spots and only hunt one or two.

This is a issue I have been thinking about. What do you do when you walk up and a area is flagged? I know for a fact that everyone isn't going to have pure intentions and only mark the area they are hunting. They refuge should have a rule in place that you can only "mark" two areas and your name has to be on the marking. The marking tape they sell at the refuge, could you write on it with a sharpie? If you can I think I'm going to take some that way I can mark on mine stating "ground blind 200 yards on right" or something along those lines. Don't really know if that would do any good.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #98
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Skeeters should be nice and healthy . Been getting some good rain down here all week .

Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #99
CoswayTyler
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Skeeters should be nice and healthy . Been getting some good rain down here all week .

Lovely...
Old 09-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #100
RobertD
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas and Minnesota

Hey y'all long time listener, first time caller. I drew this hunt this year and I am soooo glad that I found this thread. You guys are really dropping some good advise. I had no idea what to expect with this hunt.

I am bringing a blind and a ladder stand. I guess I am going to have to buy some snake boots. For sleeping arrangements, I have a truck bed tent that I usually use. Does anyone know any good places to park? I don't think I will be hunting very long. I might try and stay till Monday.

Anyone coming from the Austin area?
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top