KS Pubic Land Doe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KS Pubic Land Doe

I just back from a quick weekend hunt in Kansas. We got a late start and did not get to our motel until 3:30 in the morning on Saturday. Three and half hours of sleep later found us driving around and scouting for a place to hunt.

We found lots of good sign everywhere we went, but no suitable trees for a climber in this hot area. I decided to go scout another area and found the tree I wanted. We drove back to the motel and got cleaned up for the afternoon hunt.

I climbed the tree and hauled up my bow and pack. Time was 3:20 and I was really excited about my first Kansas hunt. My area has corn and soybeans growing. A small rub line to my East. At 4:30 I see another bow hunting walking the edge of the field. I thought he was going to hunt to the West of me.

About five minutes later this older gentleman was walking in the same way I did. I waved at him several time and even made some noise to let him know I was there. He looked over, but never acknowledged I was there.

He walked within 100 yards of me and disappeared. I said no biggie and relaxed. I saw a bunch of squirrels and birds until 6:00PM. I prayed to God like I normally do and smiled at the view around me. The wind died down and I decided to stand up and get ready for whatever might happen

About 7:00PM the yotes went crazy to the North of me. A couple of minutes later I hear something running through the wood in the direction the other hunters. I spotted three deer about 75 yards away. A mature doe and two little ones. I thought for sure the guy would shoot this big doe. Nope nothing. The deer look around for a few minutes and then the big doe comes running to my tree. She locks up about five feet from the base of my tree and looks around.

I am facing doe with my bow covering my face. She just looks up and realizes she has been had, but does not bust out of there. She moves away and then walks right into my shooting lane at 19 yards.

I hold top pin right behind her shoulder and touch the release. Thwack!!!! I watch her run off with head down and running into everything. I did not see the doe fall, but hear the crash. I sit down and give thanks to God for the blessing.
    I grab my binos and look for my arrow. I can see my arrow just on the other side from where the doe was standing.

I gather my gear up and descend the tree. I walk over and find my arrow and confirm a solid lung hit. I see a solid trail and follow it. After fifty yards I find my first Kansas doe on a public land hunt. I thank God again and drag the doe back to my stand.

My hunting buddy Mike helps my drag this deer 400 yards back to my SUV.

Now he is not a camera guy so forgive him for this picture.

Gear used
    Bear Attack
    Trophy Ridge Blast 350 arrows
    Trophy Ridge 3 Blade Meatseeker broadheads
    Jim Fletcher Flathead release
    Sticks N'Limbs Camouflage
    Summit Tree stand(Thanks Larry for this)
    Attached Files

Awesome job Timm!! Congrats on a fine Kansas doe

Comment

Great write-up Timm. Looks like some fine eating right there. Oh, and nice camo you have on too.

Comment

great hunt , congrats

Comment

Awesome job! That is a trophy to me. Nice shootin'!

Comment

Nice play by play Timm. Congrats on that foreign slick head.

Comment

Well done!!!!

Comment

Awesome.............. dead deer on public land in a different state............outstanding job!

Comment

good job

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    Awesome job! That is a trophy to me. Nice shootin'!
                    Me too brother!!! Scout, setup, and hunt.
                    Still lifting you up in my prayers.

Comment

Great write up and doe!!! Congrats!!!

Comment

Nice job

Comment

Congrats on your first Kansas deer! Those doe tags are cheap, huh??

Comment

congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                              Congrats on your first Kansas deer! Those doe tags are cheap, huh??

It was worth every penny my friend. I might buy another one.

Comment

Working...
                              X