Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 09-26-2017, 10:50 PM   #1
trophy8
Pope & Young

Default Muzzle loaders....tell us all you know

I've never shot one. Never owned one. Nothing. I want to put in for some rut hunts with one out west and use it here to get the extra days haha. I want one that's pretty accurate and can shoot as close to a normal rifle as possible. I'd say budget is $1000 or less. Must have open sights for those stupid states that won't let you use a scope lol
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Antelope, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass in TX & MO.

I've only hunted muzzle in Colo and followed their regulations. No scopes, no compressed powder, ect.

50 cal, 300 gr lead, and a lot of practice. It's as much fun as archery!
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

You can,t go wrong with a t/c .50 caliber.
Buckhorn 209 powder and Barnes bullets
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 11:20 PM   #4
Ag 96
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hemphill, Tx

I'm more of a traditionalist and shoot a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain with the maple stock. Absolutely beautiful gun. At 80 grains of pyrodex behind a 230 gr. Power Belt, she shoots within 4" at 100, which is good enough for me.
https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sch...ken-maple.html
Ag 96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2017, 11:26 PM   #5
Redbeard31
Spike

Hunt In: Del Rio, The West, Canada, Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
This.

I have a TC 50 cal and it shoots the Barnes sabot bullets as good as any rifle at 100 yards. I have confidence in it to 200 yards. I shot a nice New Mexico bull elk with mine. The barrel has open sights and you can mount a scope if desired. You have the added benefit of swapping barrels for other center fire rifle calibers. Definitely go with the Blackhorn 209 powder and do not mess around with other powders.
Redbeard31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #6
tbeak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can

My only experience has been the past two years hunting in Colorado. So we have different rules than you. No scope, loose powder and no sabots. I really wish we could shoot sabots. I'm ok with everything else.
I had a TC encore PH frame so I bought a barrel, put on a peep sight and have had a hard time finding a projectile to shoot good. I tried TC hunting bullets, hornady Great Plains (worst by far), Parker bullets and Powerbelts.
Was resistant to the powerbelts for a long time. Turns out they shooting the best out of my gun. Last shooting session before season yielded 2" groups at 100yds. I'm shooting their 285gr I believe.
It took me a lot of frustration to get the gun sighted. But now it's good. I shoot pyro Rs.
tbeak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #7
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

I've killed a truckload of deer with my .54 cal Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I use a .530 round ball patched with .015 pillow ticking, lubed with Thompson Bore Butter, in front of 110 grains of FFg black powder.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #8
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

I bought a cheap TC package deal, just to extend my deer season. It shoots alright for what it cost (around 300). It's a modern inline muzzle loader, with a 3-9x40 scope. It also has iron sights. I run hogdon tripple7 loose powder, T/C shockwave sabots, and Remington kleanbore primers. I haven't been past 100 yds, but it will shoot around 2 inch groups at that distance. The .50 cal is a freaking hammer though. Hits like a 12 gauge slug, big holes. Also the big cloud of smoke when you shoot is pretty cool, and I think it smells good.

2 things I've learned...

1) Keep it clean, it doesn't take long for black powder to foul up everything. Flash holes close up really quickly. You pretty much have to clean them after every shot when hunting, maybe every 2-3 shots at the range.

2) Don't leave it loaded with powder charge and projectile. Even just overnight in A/C, the humidity can get to the powder and ruins it. It's a huge mess that sucks to clean up. Once you load it, just shoot it. Find a cactus to shoot on the way back to camp or something.
lungbuster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #9
kyleseipp
Six Point

Hunt In: Llano, KS, IA, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungbuster1985 View Post
2 things I've learned...

1) Keep it clean, it doesn't take long for black powder to foul up everything. Flash holes close up really quickly. You pretty much have to clean them after every shot when hunting, maybe every 2-3 shots at the range.

2) Don't leave it loaded with powder charge and projectile. Even just overnight in A/C, the humidity can get to the powder and ruins it. It's a huge mess that sucks to clean up. Once you load it, just shoot it. Find a cactus to shoot on the way back to camp or something.
2 good lessons for sure!
kyleseipp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
kyleseipp
Six Point

Hunt In: Llano, KS, IA, MO

A couple of things -

Get a break-open action and an easy-to-remove breech plug. This will help you in keeping it clean, but also just in general setup. I have had the non-break open action, and it is fine (in fact, if you would like to make a deal!) but i have been much more pleased with the break open. You will be pleasantly surprised at how they handle moisture/wet.

My preference has been the CVA V2 line. Same as said above, 209 primers (keep them dry in whatever your possibles bag is going to be) and some good powder. My pref here has been the Triple 7 50gr pellets, with a Powerbelt hollowpoint.

Also like above, it is just as much fun as archery - tuning in a system.

Here is a link to the package I was referencing -http://www.cabelas.com/product/home/cva-optima-v-muzzleloader-sale/pc/105625080/c/319655880/cva-optima-v-muzzleloader-stainless-steel-black-with-x-konus-scope-and-gun-case-combo/1601965.uts?slotId=0

Obviously you can shop around. I made much better deals on mine at Buds Gun Shop.
kyleseipp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Traditional or bust!! Lyman Great Plains or TC Hawken.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #12
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: young, county

where does everyone get their guns and supplies? I kept saying I was going to get one when I was hunting in OK for a few years and never did but it would give me some more options
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #13
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

No open sights rules this one out but the Maxim 50 looks awesome.
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #14
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

I have a stainless tc encore hunter Id get rid of if matt passes on it, ill post it if he does
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #15
MarkV
Pope & Young

I know silencerco now is making a suppressed muzzle loader that you don't need a stamp or anything for. Priced at $999 I think is what I saw
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #16
Txhuntr2
Four Point

Hunt In: Val Verde

I've never even held a muzzleloader but been thinking about picking one up just to extend my season. The CVA Wolf .50 has really good reviews all over the web and its priced right for my needs. You may check it out.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cva-...dCatid=1589295
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #17
Ten Ring
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clifton, Mart, Evant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
I've never even held a muzzleloader but been thinking about picking one up just to extend my season. The CVA Wolf .50 has really good reviews all over the web and its priced right for my needs. You may check it out.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cva-...dCatid=1589295
The CVA wolf is cheaper at Cabelas. I believe its 199.99 in Waco. I only know because I have been looking at it. I figured it would be a great start for me.
Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #18
Bowyer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
I've never shot one. Never owned one. Nothing. I want to put in for some rut hunts with one out west and use it here to get the extra days haha. I want one that's pretty accurate and can shoot as close to a normal rifle as possible. I'd say budget is $1000 or less. Must have open sights for those stupid states that won't let you use a scope lol
Buy stainless for easy cleaning.
Buy a break over barrel, also for easy cleaning.
Read and follow the instructions for safety.

I have a CVA and like it alot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #19
tbeak
Ten Point

Here's my 100yd peep sight shot first 4 shots at 100yds. Two on right are first two, middle is after adjustment. It'll work for me, now if I can just put the snack down on some animals

This is with powerbelts. The parkers were all over the place as well as my TC maxihunters
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #20
Bowyer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Ring View Post
The CVA wolf is cheaper at Cabelas. I believe its 199.99 in Waco. I only know because I have been looking at it. I figured it would be a great start for me.
Not just a great start, that rifle is all you need!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #21
Buck-Chaser
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sam Houston NF

Love my cva acura nitride! 50 cal. I have 4 muzzys two traditional and two inline. Make sure you buy truckloads of cleaning supplies you are going to put many hours cleaning.
Buck-Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #22
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

NFA all the things with SilencerCo's new one! Lol
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #23
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
I know silencerco now is making a suppressed muzzle loader that you don't need a stamp or anything for. Priced at $999 I think is what I saw
I saw this the other day also. Looked interesting.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #24
trophy8
Pope & Young

Hmm. Idk about the whole fire every time you load deal. Lol
Old 09-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #25
tbeak
Ten Point

Quote:
Hmm. Idk about the whole fire every time you load deal. Lol
Isn't the goal to fire every time you load??

I'm sure you meant clean? Yea it's dirty to shoot muzzleloader. At the range I clean after every 3 shots
Old 09-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #26
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeak View Post
Isn't the goal to fire every time you load??

I'm sure you meant clean? Yea it's dirty to shoot muzzleloader. At the range I clean after every 3 shots
No I meant fire. Say you hunt 5 days in the mountains. Then what? Lol you gotta be able to quietly unload it
Old 09-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #27
Walker
Ten Point

In my younger days I hunted New Mexico every year and never fired to clear my gun except at the end of the hunt. Put a penny baloon over the muzzle and a new cap every morning. Worked every time. And the baloon will shoot off when you fire.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #28
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
In my younger days I hunted New Mexico every year and never fired to clear my gun except at the end of the hunt. Put a penny baloon over the muzzle and a new cap every morning. Worked every time. And the baloon will shoot off when you fire.
Mo betta!!
Old 09-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #29
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I have a TC Pro Hunter in 25/06. Can I buy a muzzleloader barrel that will just swap out?
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #30
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM_95 View Post
I have a TC Pro Hunter in 25/06. Can I buy a muzzleloader barrel that will just swap out?
Yes. I do know that!! Lol
Old 09-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #31
tbeak
Ten Point

Quote:
No I meant fire. Say you hunt 5 days in the mountains. Then what? Lol you gotta be able to quietly unload it
Mine stays loaded the entire time. I had rain, hail and gropple on this trip and it still went boom when I killed the log I shot at

Also to quietly unload you just unscrew you plug and let it fall out then push projectile through

Last edited by tbeak; 09-27-2017 at 07:14 PM..
Old 09-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #32
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
Get a CO2 unloader.

Leave your powder in for 5 days, you risk.........pfffffffft.

Clean religiously. They'll rust too quick.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #33
cwill
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet County

I dabbled with it a little for a while and killed a few deer. Any of the T/C guns were good and so are the CVA optimas. My personal rifle is a stainless Remington 700 and like others have said the break open guns are easier to clean, but it's a fine little gun. I found loose powder to be more accurate in mine than the pellets, but they work fine and are easier. Blood trails were sketchy at best with all the bullets I tried so just go with what shoots best in your gun. Mark your ramrod so you know you get your bullet seated the same depth every time. Also get something that uses 209 primers because they offer much better ignition than caps and are easier to deal with. Other than that don't shoot it unless you know you are going to have a good hour or more to clean it when you get home!
cwill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 10:15 PM   #34
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

You can unload it without firing it, but you still need to clean it. In all seriousness, I had mine fizzle on me after it sat in the climate controlled camp for just one night. And... I had loaded it just before the evening hunt. It was loaded with powder and a sabot, and I used a brand new primer. I don't think the balloon trick would have helped me, the sabot should have sealed it from the front end. Not saying you can't try to keep it loaded somehow, just saying I wouldn't. Not worth the risk for me. And if you unload it and don't clean it, it will be all gunked up by the next morning. Muzzleloaders can be a huge pain to deal with, took over two hours to get my buddies back to working order after he neglected it for 3 days of hunting.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:42 PM   #35
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

Quote:
No biggie. You keep it loaded the entire time your hunting. Once your hunt is over who cares if it's loud, fire it to unload it.

If you do need to unload during the hunt (powder gets wet for example) just unscrew the breech plug and push the powder and bullet through the back. It is much easier when you keep the breech plug lubed and use a fold away primer holder deal. I have a normal breech plug but I think they make a speed breech that makes it even quicker.

I shoot a TC Encore both with and without a scope. Keep the base on and you can still see the iron sights. I use the scope with sabots/pellets for the H, and open sights and lead/powder for Colorado.

Biggest thing is keeping it clean.
JustinJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #36
tbeak
Ten Point

True if you have any kind of climate controlled area, store your gun in the truck overnight. Not with you.

Man it only takes me 30 minutes to clean mine after shooting at the range. Not hours.

I got rained/hailed on the first day of my hunt this year, didn't clean the gun, and the last day it took me an hour or two but I was sitting by the fire drinking beer doing it.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:45 PM   #37
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Actually eabco makes a rail with an integrated peep sight that you could mount good QD rings on and not have to resight
Old 09-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #38
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Antelope, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass in TX & MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
No biggie. You keep it loaded the entire time your hunting. Once your hunt is over who cares if it's loud, fire it to unload it.

If you do need to unload during the hunt (powder gets wet for example) just unscrew the breech plug and push the powder and bullet through the back. It is much easier when you keep the breech plug lubed and use a fold away primer holder deal. I have a normal breech plug but I think they make a speed breech that makes it even quicker.

I shoot a TC Encore both with and without a scope. Keep the base on and you can still see the iron sights. I use the scope with sabots/pellets for the H, and open sights and lead/powder for Colorado.

Biggest thing is keeping it clean.
Good tips. Another one..

After you initially load your powder and bullet, cover the end of the barrel with a small balloon. Leave it on. It has no measurable effect on the shot you're counting on.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 10:59 PM   #39
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Good tips. Another one..

After you initially load your powder and bullet, cover the end of the barrel with a small balloon. Leave it on. It has no effect on the shot you're counting on.
yup, or some tape or a rubber
Old 09-28-2017, 04:16 AM   #40
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckamp52 View Post
where does everyone get their guns and supplies? I kept saying I was going to get one when I was hunting in OK for a few years and never did but it would give me some more options
ckamp, I get my supplies with every trip to Arkansas, especially Christmas trips once they start closing out the hunting gear. Muzzleloader season is a big deal in the more SE states. 777 pellets/loose powder, primers, and bullets are pretty cheap then. When I get them home, I package in my vacuum sealer with some dried rice. Im in Burleson, so if you need a small starter package give me a buzz.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 06:16 AM   #41
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

There is no need to unload each night. For our North Carolina season, I load mine the night before the season opens and leave it loaded until I shoot something or one week has passed. I killed my first deer with a muzzle loader in 1977 and have followed this regime since I started. The only misfires I've had were when I failed to properly prep the rifle before loading. Thoroughly clean and make sure all lube has been wiped out of the bore. Fire 2 or 3 caps to make sure the nipple is clear and the chamber is dry. Now load.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #42
ckamp52
Ten Point

Thank you sir. What do you shoot? I read a lot on the guns last night but dont see a whole lot of difference between a $250 cva or a $650 t/c. Im sure there are small things i dont notice i just dont want to overpay if its not worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #43
ckamp52
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERS View Post
I have a stainless tc encore hunter Id get rid of if matt passes on it, ill post it if he does

Where are you located. I may want in line as well

Old 09-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #44
ABWGTX
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: SHNF Somerville

Buy stainless for easy cleaning.
Buy a break over barrel, also for easy cleaning.
Read and follow the instructions for safety.

Never used Blackhorn 209 but will when I run out of pellets. Have a Traditions Tracker 209 that isn't stainless or break over barrel and hate it. Bought it used for $70 just to extend my season.
ABWGTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #45
ckamp52
Ten Point

keep the info coming...I have the bug now
Old 09-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #46
ckamp52
Ten Point

just got a text from cabelas and they have a ton of cva's and traditions on sale for the hunting classic or something...really want a t/c but hard to pass up some of these deals..someone talk me out of the t/c and that it is ok to go cheaper on this
Old 09-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #47
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: I used to hunt in Culberson County, but now I hunt in Val Verde County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
I've only hunted muzzle in Colo and followed their regulations. No scopes, no compressed powder, ect.

50 cal, 300 gr lead, and a lot of practice. It's as much fun as archery!
I did the same thing in New Mexico several years ago for elk. I think the bullet i used was the 385 grain Hornady Great Plains bullet.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #48
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

Quote:
Thank you sir. What do you shoot? I read a lot on the guns last night but dont see a whole lot of difference between a $250 cva or a $650 t/c. Im sure there are small things i dont notice i just dont want to overpay if its not worth it

I have a TC, but the CVA guns are very accurate. Even the cheap ones. I second the break open action though, just better all around IMO.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #49
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Where are you located. I may want in line as well

South of San Antonio. I can ship it to your door in Texas
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2017, 07:32 PM   #50
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Quote:

If this was in reply to my post, here is my response.

I've shot a TC a couple of times (another guys), my ML are Traditions, and I once owned a CVA. I didn't like the CVA, nor did I have good luck with the Powerbelts.

The lower priced brands (Traditions/CVA) in the metal and action have been just as good as a TC. The TC sights were much better. The TC stock was 100% better. In short, overall the CVA felt the cheapest, Traditions in the middle, TC was well above the other two. My favorite is my Traditions Hawken type sidelock, 90gns with Hornady lead on top.

They will all kill, just depends on how fancy you want to be.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top