Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 08-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #51
DEADEYE1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado county
Default :)

Use mine this weekend
You will make the right choice, a lot of good info on here as always!!!!!
DEADEYE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2017, 07:56 AM   #52
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
Thunderbeast is far and away the best.
It seems to be real popular on here.

My only complain is it does not come with a lifetime warranty like alot of brands.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #53
Stick'n'String
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County

I got a Thunderbeast ultra 7 and I'm really pleased with it
Stick'n'String is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2017, 08:11 AM   #54
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post

My only complain is it does not come with a lifetime warranty like alot of brands.
Well, let me tell you about my experience with Thunderbeast. They did a voluntary recall of the .338 two years ago. I had a choice of sending mine back in and getting it rebuilt with upgraded baffles or pay for another tax stamp and get a whole new upgraded suppressor that was a couple ounces lighter than my original. I paid for the stamp. They didn't have to offer that option, and it cost them big time to do that. Also, when you call them, you speak to a person, not a machine. As far as "lifetime warranties" go, there are three things that can happen to damage a suppressor: baffle strike, impact damage, or complete blowout. All are caused by user error, and all will void any type of warranty.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2017, 08:12 AM   #55
-HIC-
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:

The original 30-P1 was, and some may say still is, the gold standard in precision rifle suppressors. ThunderBeast puts out quality suppressors; however, for your application I think you will find something that fits better.
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #56
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
As far as "lifetime warranties" go, there are three things that can happen to damage a suppressor: baffle strike, impact damage, or complete blowout. All are caused by user error, and all will void any type of warranty.
This is not true based on my reading. Some have a one time no questions asked replacement, even user stupidity

Eventually after a while 10+ years of frequent use, a suppressor can wear out. And this will be covered. I talked to CS from a popular brand yesterday and they confirmed this
Old 08-09-2017, 08:16 AM   #57
-HIC-
Four Point

Quote:
All are caused by user error, and all will void any type of warranty.
That is absolutely not true with SilencerCo. Call and ask them, they will tell you that being stupid will only cost you the second time.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #58
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIC- View Post
That is absolutely not true with SilencerCo. Call and ask them, they will tell you that being stupid will only cost you the second time.
My experiences with Silencerco have been less than spectacular. I have a 7.62SD which chronically loosens and has been repaired once, but hoops had to be jumped through, and there was no admission of a design flaw. Ask virtually anyone who has a Silencerco suppressor that uses a 51T mount, and they will tell you all about it.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #59
Beerkat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher County

AAC SDN-6

Compact, light, priced right.
Beerkat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #60
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
My experiences with Silencerco have been less than spectacular. I have a 7.62SD which chronically loosens and has been repaired once, but hoops had to be jumped through, and there was no admission of a design flaw. Ask virtually anyone who has a Silencerco suppressor that uses a 51T mount, and they will tell you all about it.
Seems to be many happy people with an Omega 300.

I called them and the guy was very nice and knowledgeable. Answered all my questions and knew what he was talking about.

Other then that i do not know about them.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #61
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Quote:
Seems to be many happy people with an Omega 300.

I called them and the guy was very nice and knowledgeable. Answered all my questions and knew what he was talking about.

Other then that i do not know about them.
Spend some time on suppressortalk.com and AR15.com, and you will find that Silencerco is not well thought of. Try to find someone who has had a bad experience with Thunderbeast. I've never seen one, and they dominate the precision rifle crowd. I have Silencerco, Gemtech, and Thunderbeast, and the only one I wouldn't buy from again is Silencerco.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:51 AM   #62
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Spend some time on suppressortalk.com and AR15.com, and you will find that Silencerco is not well thought of. Try to find someone who has had a bad experience with Thunderbeast. I've never seen one, and they dominate the precision rifle crowd. I have Silencerco, Gemtech, and Thunderbeast, and the only one I wouldn't buy from again is Silencerco.
Things I like to hear. Telling sign. Thanks

I do need to get on some of those sights.

Gemtech One seems to be popular, just have to buy a QD mount with that one as it is not included.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #63
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Quote:
Things I like to hear. Telling sign. Thanks

I do need to get on some of those sights.

Gemtech One seems to be popular, just have to buy a QD mount with that one as it is not included.
If you are only going to buy one suppressor for multiple calibers, go with one of the hybrids for sure.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #64
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you are only going to buy one suppressor for multiple calibers, go with one of the hybrids for sure.
Like which one? What exactly is a hybrid?

Yes I plan on buying only 1 and switching it off between AR rifles. And then getting my .257 threaded so I can use it deer hunting next year also
Old 08-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #65
ultrastealth
Ten Point

The Gemtech One is one. If you want to use a suppressor on multiple platforms, it needs to be at least .30 caliber (I use a .45 on my .300 blackout) and it should have a quick detach, as thread patterns differ between the different calibers, so a direct thread would have to have pain in the *** thread adapters without a QD. Silencerco makes the Hybrid 46, but, as stated, I'm not a fan of Silencerco. Do some research, talk to Silencershop, and really make an educated choice, because once you apply for that stamp, there's no going back.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #66
-HIC-
Four Point

Quote:
I am not following you. The 7.62SD is an AAC suppressor, not SilencerCo. You also reference 51T, that also was/is an AAC design. Since Remington now owns AAC I am not surprised you have had warranty issues.

SilencerCo does sell adapters for that mounting system but it is not their design.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #67
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
The Gemtech One is one. If you want to use a suppressor on multiple platforms, it needs to be at least .30 caliber (I use a .45 on my .300 blackout) and it should have a quick detach, as thread patterns differ between the different calibers, so a direct thread would have to have pain in the *** thread adapters without a QD. Silencerco makes the Hybrid 46, but, as stated, I'm not a fan of Silencerco. Do some research, talk to Silencershop, and really make an educated choice, because once you apply for that stamp, there's no going back.
Will do. Yes I plan on going the QD route.

Yes I plan on using a 7.62/.308 suppressor so I can use it with anything up to a .308 as I won't be shooting anything bigger then that.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #68
-HIC-
Four Point

Quote:
talk to Silencershop,
This is very telling, I talked earlier in this thread about the rift between SilncerCo and SilencerShop. I would not listen to what they now have to say about SilencerCo.

Further, you just made a case about SilencerCo based on an AAC suppressor. I am confused.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #69
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Quote:
I am not following you. The 7.62SD is an AAC suppressor, not SilencerCo. You also reference 51T, that also was/is an AAC design. Since Remington now owns AAC I am not surprised you have had warranty issues.

SilencerCo does sell adapters for that mounting system but it is not their design.
Sorry, meant AAC. My bad. I have a silencerco Octane .45 that I'm not enamored with, but I haven't had any issues with it or the company.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #70
-HIC-
Four Point

Quote:
Sorry, meant AAC. My bad. I have a silencerco Octane .45 that I'm not enamored with, but I haven't had any issues with it or the company.
I am with you on the Octane. I think the idea to cover everything from .45 to sub sonic .300 was better on paper. My Octane .45 has not been used in years.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #71
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Quote:
I am with you on the Octane. I think the idea to cover everything from .45 to sub sonic .300 was better on paper. My Octane .45 has not been used in years.
It's a decent pistol suppressor, but they promoted it for .300 blackout, and it's not at all impressive for that.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #72
bermise
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

Anyone here use Thunderbeast ultra? How much is the POI shift with the can is installed? A can that requires a 2nd zero for when it's attached is no bueno

Last edited by bermise; 08-09-2017 at 10:22 AM..
bermise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #73
-HIC-
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
Anyone here use Thunderbeast ultra? How much is the POI shift with the can is installed? A can that requires a 2nd zero for when it's attached is no bueno
Did you read the thread?? lol

That can is great for precision rifles. Someone mentioned no POI shift. However, I always see some POI shift when shooting suppressed regardless of the can. The key is that the shift is repeatable with every mount/unmount. Consistency is key and Thunderbeast has that nailed down.

I was not a fan of the original Saker ratchet mount for that very reason. I have moved all of my SilencerCo stuff over to the ASR mount and have found the POI shift to be very consistent.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #74
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Like which one? What exactly is a hybrid?

Yes I plan on buying only 1 and switching it off between AR rifles. And then getting my .257 threaded so I can use it deer hunting next year also
SilencerCo Hybrid
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #75
bermise
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

Quote:
Did you read the thread?? lol

That can is great for precision rifles. Someone mentioned no POI shift. However, I always see some POI shift when shooting suppressed regardless of the can. The key is that the shift is repeatable with every mount/unmount. Consistency is key and Thunderbeast has that nailed down.

I was not a fan of the original Saker ratchet mount for that very reason. I have moved all of my SilencerCo stuff over to the ASR mount and have found the POI shift to be very consistent.
Yes I re-read where one guy mentioned no shift, but I didn't know they are titanium internals which I don't like. Their website states not to shoot more than 30 rounds at a time due to over heating.
I'm not big on dedicated bolt gun cans.
bermise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #76
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermise View Post
Yes I re-read where one guy mentioned no shift, but I didn't know they are titanium internals which I don't like. Their website states not to shoot more than 30 rounds at a time due to over heating.
I'm not big on dedicated bolt gun cans.
What would you need to shoot 25-30+ shots at?
Old 08-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #77
-HIC-
Four Point

Quote:
What would you need to shoot 25-30+ shots at?
Terrorists?

I get what he is saying, but your point is valid. All of mine are full auto rated and I have never shot more than 5-10 shots without some sort of cool down.

I guess a lot of people like to do mag dumps. I would not necessarily judge a suppressor on the published rate of fire anyway. It just boils down to the materials that are used in the can, primarily the blast baffle.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #78
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Terrorists?

I get what he is saying, but your point is valid. All of mine are full auto rated and I have never shot more than 5-10 shots without some sort of cool down.

I guess a lot of people like to do mag dumps. I would not necessarily judge a suppressor on the published rate of fire anyway. It just boils down to the materials that are used in the can, primarily the blast baffle.
The fact that they are full auto tells me it maybe a slightly better made can then non auto rated
Old 08-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #79
Texoilhunter21
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Breckenridge, TX

Still waiting on my Sig SRD762-QD.
Texoilhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #80
txagyotebuster
Six Point

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone used both an ultra 7 and a crux? Looking for a 30 cal can for longer range shooting, as well has hog hunting on my 6.8 AR.
txagyotebuster is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #81
gingib
Pope & Young

My buddy uses a Crux and no complaints.... I need to finally make up my mind lol
Old 09-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #82
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by txagyotebuster View Post
Not to hijack the thread but has anyone used both an ultra 7 and a crux? Looking for a 30 cal can for longer range shooting, as well has hog hunting on my 6.8 AR.
The TBAC Ultra 7 is known as one of the best cans on the market for POI repeatability. It's truly an excellent suppressor.

I would not even put the Crux in the same ball park. They're a no-name company compared to the Top 10 manufacturers. Very little data provided by the manufacturer on performance.

Suppressors are essentially a lifetime purchase. Go with a proven performer.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #83
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
The TBAC Ultra 7 is known as one of the best cans on the market for POI repeatability. It's truly an excellent suppressor.

I would not even put the Crux in the same ball park. They're a no-name company compared to the Top 10 manufacturers. Very little data provided by the manufacturer on performance.

And you are basing this on what?

Crux is well known to be very repeatable and low to no point shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #84
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
And you are basing this on what?

Crux is well known to be very repeatable and low to no point shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Love to hear and see the data....

It is like anything else, and biased and based on what each of yall like.

I did believe that CRUX is relatively a new company though
Old 09-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #85
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Crux is well known to be very repeatable and low to no [POI] shift.
If they are so well known, you will not have a problem pointing us to this data and reputation.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:52 PM   #86
Txarrowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Parker county

Mirage ulr is a serviceable 30cal can they are out of Azle, Tx. I don't have one. It there's a guy at the range I go to that runs one on his 300 and it's very impressive.
Txarrowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 02:29 AM   #87
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
If they are so well known, you will not have a problem pointing us to this data and reputation.
I don't have any data to point to. Nor do I care to get into a pissing match over it. But Crux makes some very good cans. TBAC is overpriced. They made a name by sponsoring a metric ton of PRS guys. They are good cans. But nothing special. I would not pay retail for one. I've shot a lot of them. Several friends are dealers and have every demo can they offer. Their demo prices are what their retail should be lol. Silencerco isn't what they once were. AAC is pretty well gone. Rugged is getting big. Crux. Lots of folks making new very good cans. I haven't kept up with them all enough to say what the best is. I haven't purchased a single NFA item since the new regs started. I'm in on a trust with a very close friend of mine and he ordered 2 of everything dead air makes LOL. I would take a very serious look at dead air. OP, if you are interested in hearing from them I can get you in touch with their Texas rep. He's a good friend of mine and I know the owners well. We have a few of their cans on my trust with me and my wife and brother. They perform great. I use my harvester and my specwar on everything for the most part. My specwar doesn't really come off my SBR gas guns. It's been beat to heck and does great. I need to order a sandman TI. The NFA market has done some crazy things in the last year. Whatever you buy I wish you luck. If you're ever in the Austin area I don't mind letting you try a couple of mine.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #88
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
I don't have any data to point to. Nor do I care to get into a pissing match over it. But Crux makes some very good cans. TBAC is overpriced. They made a name by sponsoring a metric ton of PRS guys. They are good cans. But nothing special. I would not pay retail for one. I've shot a lot of them. Several friends are dealers and have every demo can they offer. Their demo prices are what their retail should be lol. Silencerco isn't what they once were. AAC is pretty well gone. Rugged is getting big. Crux. Lots of folks making new very good cans. I haven't kept up with them all enough to say what the best is. I haven't purchased a single NFA item since the new regs started. I'm in on a trust with a very close friend of mine and he ordered 2 of everything dead air makes LOL. I would take a very serious look at dead air. OP, if you are interested in hearing from them I can get you in touch with their Texas rep. He's a good friend of mine and I know the owners well. We have a few of their cans on my trust with me and my wife and brother. They perform great. I use my harvester and my specwar on everything for the most part. My specwar doesn't really come off my SBR gas guns. It's been beat to heck and does great. I need to order a sandman TI. The NFA market has done some crazy things in the last year. Whatever you buy I wish you luck. If you're ever in the Austin area I don't mind letting you try a couple of mine.
It sounds like you have a lot more exposure to and experience with those cans than I do. I agree that if the OP is willing to look at Dead Air that the Sandman line is worth a strong look. I just jumped on a LaRue Tranquilo and will be interested to see how it performs compared to the rest.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:34 PM   #89
trophy8
Pope & Young

Report back on how that larue can performs. I haven't heard a word about them. Lots of Mark Larue haters abound haha
Old 09-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #90
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Report back on how that larue can performs. I haven't heard a word about them. Lots of Mark Larue haters abound haha
At $399 I couldn't say no. With any luck I'll shoot it this weekend.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #91
gingib
Pope & Young

I am still undecided....sucks because I need to get one ordered and get a trust done so I can get this 7-10 month wait on the books
Old 09-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #92
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
I am still undecided....sucks because I need to get one ordered and get a trust done so I can get this 7-10 month wait on the books
Buy a few then
Old 09-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #93
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Buy a few then
LMAO...No.

Just gonna buy 1 to swap between AR's and deer rifle. Can always buy more then 1 QD mount
Old 09-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #94
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

Bought 3 Omaga 30. Shoot it on 223 -308 and very pleased.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #95
DoubleGProstaff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

I ordered a thinderbeast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoubleGProstaff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #96
DoubleGProstaff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Thunderbeast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoubleGProstaff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #97
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
LMAO...No.

Just gonna buy 1 to swap between AR's and deer rifle. Can always buy multiple mounts and suppressors
Fify

Last edited by 150class; 09-25-2017 at 12:58 PM..
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #98
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
LMAO...No.

Just gonna buy 1 to swap between AR's and deer rifle. Can always buy more then 1 QD mount
WOW.....I said that exact thing 5 additional suppressors ago.

My friend told me not to buy one unless I was going to buy more......I told him he was full of &^&)*^^$$%#^. He was right.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #99
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Fify
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
WOW.....I said that exact thing 5 additional suppressors ago.

My friend told me not to buy one unless I was going to buy more......I told him he was full of &^&)*^^$$%#^. He was right.
Please explain to me why? Maybe down the road with kids but I can only shoot 1 gun at a time. And can pop it off my .257 Weatherby mag for deer hunting and .308 AR 10 for thermal pig hunting

Money is tight now, maybe down the road but I am lucky to get 1 now lol
Old 09-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #100
duckmanep
Ten Point

Curious, any TBH'rs sell suppressors?
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top