Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 09-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #2301
sandpiper
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: around Goldwhite

I need to PM you about Photon scope; Have tried but so far no sucess; Do you cell phone? Mine is 903-388-4058 Thanks Jay
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 02:57 AM   #2302
Mousehunter
Four Point

Probably the best is to hunt with items yourself to develops your own opinion. My experience was: digital-I can see in the "dark". I^2-OMG, I can SEE in the dark. 640 thermal-WOW, look at all the glowing targets. Each did something new and interesting, but with each progression, the improvement was extraordinary and utterly amazing. That said, a kill light might do the job better and cheaper-will play with a Sniper Hawg this next year and find out.
Mousehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 08:09 AM   #2303
fishingsetx
Ten Point

Hunt In: silsbee and evadale, tx

Finally joined the NV club with an X-Sight II 3-14. Nothing fancy, and I havent shot it yet, but so far I like it! Headed to the range this afternoon. My only major gripe is figuring out hlw the heck to mount it far enough back on a bolt gun. Still working on that one, but I think ive got it figured out.
Right now, I have it on my 17HM2, bjt plan to rotate it around as needed.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!
fishingsetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #2304
SC-Texas
Ten Point

First two kills with the Snipe IR. The first kill was a team shot.

Using the unit at night was easy now that I spent enough time with it last week.

I turned it on and left it on for the entire hunt. It was easy to calibrate it occasionally on the front of the rifle.

The image through the Leupold 1 to 8 was what I would expect from this core. I was able to increase the zoom to 8 power and identify deer.

Although the image started getting slightly pixelated at 8 power. At longer ranges, you would see pixels in the deer's neck.

While the distances would not allow a positive ID to take a shot, it would certainly allow us to rule out groups of animals because of their configuration without having to walk an extra three or four hundred yards.

Battery life was over 4 hours at 60 hertz.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
SC-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2017, 07:25 AM   #2305
Jethro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Quail, Marilla

Drove up on this big boy down south of Ozona this weekend. First hog kill with my Photon 6.5x50. Was kind of concerned about being able to get the Photon turned on and into play quick rolling out of the drivers seat of the truck with the bolt gun, but it worked out just fine. Put one .243 into the pump house on the right side, then he turned and started quartering away away to the left, and I put another in through the back of the ribs going forward. That one put him on the ground. Wearing my TBH "KAP Ale" T-shirt, thought it was fitting.

IMG_3374 by , on Flickr

FullSizeR by , on Flickr

And a picture from a different angle after we drug him away from the feeder/pond area. 1/2 mile of rocky caliche road will scrub the hair off pretty good.

IMG_3359 by , on Flickr
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #2306
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
First two kills with the Snipe IR. The first kill was a team shot.

Using the unit at night was easy now that I spent enough time with it last week.

I turned it on and left it on for the entire hunt. It was easy to calibrate it occasionally on the front of the rifle.

The image through the Leupold 1 to 8 was what I would expect from this core. I was able to increase the zoom to 8 power and identify deer.

Although the image started getting slightly pixelated at 8 power. At longer ranges, you would see pixels in the deer's neck.

While the distances would not allow a positive ID to take a shot, it would certainly allow us to rule out groups of animals because of their configuration without having to walk an extra three or four hundred yards.

Battery life was over 4 hours at 60 hertz.

Did they fix their NUC issue? Well not so much an issue but the annoying fact that they needed to be nuced very frequently for the first 30 minutes or so and you have to cover the lens?

What distance were you able to ID the deer?
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #2307
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

anyone contacted TRIJICON? I have white spots on my REAP and they won't go away. I emailed them twice in a week. No word back.

Scope is 6 months old
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2017, 09:47 PM   #2308
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by keatonskidmore View Post
Did they fix their NUC issue? Well not so much an issue but the annoying fact that they needed to be nuced very frequently for the first 30 minutes or so and you have to cover the lens?

What distance were you able to ID the deer?
NUC. I haven't noticed the snipe asking to be calibrated very often.

When they raise their heads I can ID them by necks. I'll walk it one night. I hate to pit a number on it and give bad info.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #2309
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas

Quote:
NUC. I haven't noticed the snipe asking to be calibrated very often.

When they raise their heads I can ID them by necks. I'll walk it one night. I hate to pit a number on it and give bad info.

Heck I don't want to make you walk. I ID deer the same way, by their necks, and probably have somewhat of an idea of what distance you're talking about.
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 09:03 AM   #2310
HansETX
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Van Zandt County
Default Another Beautiful Yard Destroyed By Wild Hogs. Worst I've Ever Seen!...

Well... it happened again. The first time it was the Mother-in-Law's house and now this time it's the Brother-in-Law that got visited by the pig fairies in the middle of the night. Now, I believe in Karma and I've been on the good and bad of that, but these Wild Hogs are destroy our yards one family member after the other. This is the worst yard damage that I've ever seen..

I was able to drop 3 of them and had one that dang near jumped in my lap..

https://youtu.be/oxZ3vDUly1s
HansETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #2311
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansETX View Post
Well... it happened again. The first time it was the Mother-in-Law's house and now this time it's the Brother-in-Law that got visited by the pig fairies in the middle of the night. Now, I believe in Karma and I've been on the good and bad of that, but these Wild Hogs are destroy our yards one family member after the other. This is the worst yard damage that I've ever seen..

I was able to drop 3 of them and had one that dang near jumped in my lap..

https://youtu.be/oxZ3vDUly1s
Wow that front yard damage sucks bad.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2017, 10:43 AM   #2312
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

That yard is devastated! Maybe we should drop some hogs off in the yards of the big city anti-hunters and see how long it takes them to start back tracking on their anti stance. Nice job on the hogs!

Last edited by Outdoor Legacy; 09-29-2017 at 10:55 AM..
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #2313
sandpiper
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: around Goldwhite

I got myself a Sightmark Photon XT yesterday; Looking forward getting it sighted in then do some hog hunting!
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #2314
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
That yard is devastated! Maybe we should drop some hogs off in the yards of the big city anti-hunters and see how long it takes them to start back tracking on their anti stance. Nice job on the hogs!
Exactly!! Killed over 250+ on hunts with myself and buddies this year along with trapping. I am hooked
Old 09-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #2315
coachwhip
Eight Point

Any idea when Flirs PTS thermal will start shipping? I'm thinking this is going to be a good entry level thermal.
coachwhip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2017, 10:17 PM   #2316
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachwhip View Post
Any idea when Flirs PTS thermal will start shipping? I'm thinking this is going to be a good entry level thermal.
No one has a clue. The Pulsar Core RXQ30V has a farther detection range and costs less money (and is available today). It sacrifices the recordability that is advertised with the PTS233, but that's not an issue for everyone.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #2317
Texas89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Columbus

Scopes or sights aside. What is everyone using to scan a field?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #2318
Texas89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Columbus

Texas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #2319
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas89 View Post

Im ising an older flir m24. The current state of the art would be a Trijicon Patrol-ir in my opinion.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #2320
SC-Texas
Ten Point

I had the opportunity to use the new Flir Q 14-TIM B. This video shows that at the SHOT show, but I got to play with a prototype version at an industry hog hunt that I attend. If it ever comes to Market that would be my first choice

https://youtu.be/vn5hX0uFsGQ

Old 09-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #2321
SC-Texas
Ten Point

The form factor of this unit is the most conducive to use in the role of handheld monocular that I have found. Except maybe a oaysis skeet IR.

FLIR Q14-B (Boson) TIM 320x256 30Hz Thermal Imaging Monocular

• High resolution FLCOS display
• Boson processor
• Multiple palettes
• Integrated digital compass and digital inclinometer
• Onboard video recording and picture capture (Internal Storage)
• USB C connectivity
• Battery Status Indicator
• Rapid start-up
• Easy adaptability to wide selection of head, helmet, and weapon mounts with QuickRail/ Dove Tail/ Bayonet interfaces*
• Rugged construction
• Limited 3-year warranty
• 10-year warranty on FLIR detector
• Made in the USA

Old 10-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #2322
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

Just now getting into the game

savin yours is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #2323
SC-Texas
Ten Point

1st day of deer season 2017. Picked this one off at midnight.

#diepiggydie 110yd midnight spine shot. POF P-308, IR Hunter Mk II 20mm, Dead Air key-mo mount.

Federal 165gr trophy tip no def gameking.

@third_coast_thermal provided the IR Hunter.
#thepewpewlife #blackgunsmatter #evilblackrifle #guns #weapon #weapons #weaponsdaily #rifles #suppressor #makeamericagreatagain #weaponsfanatics #texasguntrust #texasnfatrust #guntrust #nfatrust #thirdcoastthermal
#third_coast_thermal
#pofusa *#pofp308 #deadairsilencers #riflesonly

Old 10-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #2324
savin yours
Pope & Young

So now I have the X Sight, what caliber should I go with on my AR build? I have a multi cal lower, so I've been thinking about the 300blk. This will most likely be a dedicated night hunting rig, mostly for pigs. Oh and suppressed also with future plans of thermal(if i get into it like I think I will). I have it on my RRA 223 now and just sighted it in. GO!
Old 10-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #2325
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by savin yours View Post
So now I have the X Sight, what caliber should I go with on my AR build? I have a multi cal lower, so I've been thinking about the 300blk. This will most likely be a dedicated night hunting rig, mostly for pigs. Oh and suppressed also with future plans of thermal(if i get into it like I think I will). I have it on my RRA 223 now and just sighted it in. GO!
I've used .223 AR's for hogs for years and my advice is to buy some good ammo if you go that route. Don't use FMJ and expect to recover many hogs without some very precise shots. I've been using the Hornady Black .223 75 grain BTHP and I can't be happier. The price is really good too at $13-$15/box.

Honestly, if this is going to be a dedicated hog gun and you plan on suppressing it in the future, I don't think you can go wrong with a .300blk. I'm shooting a .300blk a lot of the time now (super-sonic ammo) and I've been extremely impressed with it. Unless you plan on doing long range hunting, I think the .300blk is a great option. Again, nothing wrong with .223 as long as you use good ammo and good shot placement.

Good luck and keep us updated on the AR build.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #2326
texashunter74
Eight Point

Hunt In: Love County, OK

I built a dedicated 6.5 Grendal for my X-Sight II. Perfect caliber it shoots 123 grain pill fast and flat. More knockdown than a 223 still can pick up ammo for <$20 a box. Hornady Black kills the pigs and yotes nicely
texashunter74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 02:26 AM   #2327
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
If you stick the 223, like outdoor Legacy stated you should use good ammo. I prefer 62 grain Fusion myself. Or 75 grain gold dots.

If you want to go to a much more capable caliber, I would personally skip the 300 Blackout and run 6.8 SPC. The round is superior to 300 Blackout in all categories. With the exception of magazine and parts commonality.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:15 AM   #2328
savin yours
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you stick the 223, like outdoor Legacy stated you should use good ammo. I prefer 62 grain Fusion myself. Or 75 grain gold dots.

If you want to go to a much more capable caliber, I would personally skip the 300 Blackout and run 6.8 SPC. The round is superior to 300 Blackout in all categories. With the exception of magazine and parts commonality.

So does the 6.8 behave well SBR’d and suppressed?

Old 10-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #2329
HansETX
Nubbin' Buck

Default Considering a Thermal Monocular for hog hunting...

Hey ya'll, I'm posting here to hopefully help somebody out just like someone helped me... Well, I've done a ton of research on Thermal Monoculars and I finally bit the bullet on the Pulsar Quantum Lite XQ23V. I hunt hogs every night of the week on my property in East Texas and my left arm looks like Popeye and my right arm looks like Olive Oil from holding up my rifle for 2 to 3 hours a night. Finally splurged a little on a new hunting toy that's going to make my life much easier. Here is my field review of the Pulsar Monocular. I've done a ton of research so maybe you won't have to...

https://youtu.be/dLwjiHg6fbQ
Old 10-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #2330
Jethro
Ten Point

I will just throw this up for giggles. I was in front of my house the other night getting my external IR illuminator co-witnessed correctly with my Photon 6.5x50. My daughter was out there with me when this red fox trotted across the field in front of us at a dead even 100 yards. No, I can't shoot that direction because of my neighbors goats and donkeys across the fence. My daughter was wanting me to stop recording so she could look through the scope and watch him, lol.

CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW AND YOU CAN WATCH IT ON MY FLICKR PAGE.

123239 by , on Flickr
Old 10-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #2331
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
I will just throw this up for giggles. I was in front of my house the other night getting my external IR illuminator co-witnessed correctly with my Photon 6.5x50. My daughter was out there with me when this red fox trotted across the field in front of us at a dead even 100 yards. No, I can't shoot that direction because of my neighbors goats and donkeys across the fence. My daughter was wanting me to stop recording so she could look through the scope and watch him, lol.

CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW AND YOU CAN WATCH IT ON MY FLICKR PAGE.

123239 by , on Flickr
Yeah thermal may be the shizzz and all, but the Photon gets it done every single time, plus it has sound. That's more than can be said for some $5K thermal optics on the market today.

Awesome video. Let that poor girl have a look next time!
Old 10-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #2332
Jethro
Ten Point

She gets to play with that stuff plenty. I made up for it the next day anyways. We went calling and killed 4 coyotes, she got her first with the CZ-527. We tripled on that stand, both of our blood was pumping pretty hard. The poor child is not mistreated, I promise that.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #2333
Mousehunter
Four Point

Quote:
I think all of these variants have specific design goals, so “superior in all catalogues” is a bit of a stretch. The 300blk has been arround (with various names and design goals) for about 30 years. IIRC it started out as a silhouette pistol wildcat. Anyway, you can suppress supers, but subs suppress better. As velocity is dictated with subsonic ammo, energy is a direct function of bullet weight. Bullet weight is limited by overall length and stability. You can only get to about 78gr in a 223 and still fit in the magazine. Most 300blk subs are 220gr, but 245 will stabilize in a 1:7 twist (maybe even a 1:8), I do not know about feeding. A 6.8 will be somewhere in between, as the small caliber will weigh less at a similar length, and longer will probably neither stabilize or feed.

Of course the second issue there is twist. 300BLK specifically uses a fast twist rate for heavy subsonics, the 6.8 SPC II took Reminton’s already slower 1:10 twist and slowed it further to 1:11 or 1:12. This lowered pressure and allowed for better supersonic performance, at the expense of stabilizing heavies. Does it shoot suppressed well-probably. But the simple physics say not as good as the 300blk.

Now the other shoe, I think the Grendel still has superior down range performance. It is not a huge issue, and really does not show up under 400 yards, but the higher sectional density of the Grendel holds velocity better and has less wind drift. If you reload, and if you can feed and chamber 140gr 6.8s then it is neck and neck. That said, those are longer than max oal, I don’t think they are available as factory loads, and they still have more wind drift.

At the end of the day, the 6.8 is a great cartridge, but it is not best in all circumstances. I will still enjoy my blk’s and Grendel. That said, not enjoying my X-sight any. It has sat in the box since I got real night vision, and have shot with night vision since I went thermal. At least the I^2 is still good for navigation.

Last edited by Mousehunter; 10-05-2017 at 01:22 PM..
Old 10-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #2334
BlackHogDown
Eight Point

Hunt In: Duval County

Quote:
So does the 6.8 behave well SBR’d and suppressed?

Waiting to hear somebody's experience with a 6.8 sbr. Suppressed accuracy? ...

BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #2335
Tbar
Ten Point

18" IWT 6.8SPCII
Federal 115gn FMJ
200 Yards from fixed shooting position
DRT Shoulder shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6QLq_0mGSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC9W4koHYek&t=19s

Last edited by Tbar; 10-05-2017 at 06:42 PM..
Tbar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 05:34 AM   #2336
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!

Tbar, I am so envious of your set up!
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #2337
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbar View Post
That is a badazz shooting spot!

If this was my setup, I think I'd find a way to put a speaker at the opposite end of the field and blast AR15 sounds from it after I shot the first hog. That way you could funnel them back towards you.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #2338
Mousehunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHogDown View Post
Suppressed accuracy? ...
You do not normally hear much about “suppressed accuracy”. If you are shooting subs, you are probably sighted in at 75 yards. If you want to shoot further, you better know you ur yardage and have a holdover table ready. Subs are starting out at only 1050fps. If you sight in at 75, you are pretty much good to go from the muzzle to 85 yards. By 110 you will be shooting under his chin, belly, or maybe just accidentally hit a knee (I forget, but iirc it is about 8” below point of aim.).

Suppressed should not effect cold shots (if you sighted in with your suppressor), but could cause more shift as the barrel gets hot-a potentially pig blasting problem. Heavy barrels should be less effected, as would SBR’s I imagine.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #2339
Tbar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
Tbar, I am so envious of your set up!
In hind site I could have benefited from a bump stock. The pigs always run the same direction. Just hold on a spot and let them run through a hail of lead.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #2340
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

I got this guy last night about 1130 pm.
Saw him about 75 yds as I was scanning the fence line where there was fresh routing.
I was using my 5.56 shooting 55 grain VMax. I have a Coyote Reaper light mounted to my hand guard. I am using the red bulb.
I lost track of him after the shot. Scope zoomed in too much

No blood, we looked till 1am.
Found him this am.
Flies and buzzards found him first.
The stick is the entrance, the pistol is s 5” 1911A1, it's included for size reference.

This is my second from this area. And the 2nd of 3 board I have on camera. Missed a shot opportunity at the 3rd one Tuesday night.
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #2341
Tbar
Ten Point

Nice.....!!!
Old 10-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #2342
Tye
Ten Point

Quote:

Yes, I run s 12.5" 6.8 and it will shoot between 1/2 to 1 MOA suppressed. Never have shot subs through it though
Tye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #2343
BlackHogDown
Eight Point

Hunt In: Duval County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye View Post
Yes, I run s 12.5" 6.8 and it will shoot between 1/2 to 1 MOA suppressed. Never have shot subs through it though

Awesome. Neither will I. Thanks

BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #2344
SC-Texas
Ten Point

A few pigs.

https://youtu.be/mLJSmD34lM0

Old 10-09-2017, 08:06 AM   #2345
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:

I hunt with Chris Lucci. He is a 6.8 guru. He hunts with a 6.8 12" and it's accurate never an issue putting pigs down or deer for that matter.

I have an Mstn 12.5" 6.8 upper that is accurate enough for 3" steel at 100. Never papered it though.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #2346
HansETX
Nubbin' Buck

Default Tried out some new ammo on a couple unsuspecting hogs...

Tried out the Maker Overwatch Field .222 REX 62 Grain on 2 separate hunts last week to test it out. Now, I will tell you... this stuff ain't cheap!!! At $1.65 a round after shipping, I might go broke trying to take care of all the hogs in our area. I called around to several places to see if they carry it on the self but couldn't find any place that had it. Now I know Maker Ammunition isn't new and I know many serious hog hunters that using it with great results. In the video I'm using a .223 but I know that they this stuff in many different calibers. The funny part is that the box of ammo is just a plain white box, no name or anything at all on it.. haha! I was able to test this ammo out on a couple unsuspecting hogs with really good results under a couple different shooting situations...

https://youtu.be/SsT_wx709HE
Old 10-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #2347
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansETX View Post
Tried out the Maker Overwatch Field .222 REX 62 Grain on 2 separate hunts last week to test it out. Now, I will tell you... this stuff ain't cheap!!! At $1.65 a round after shipping, I might go broke trying to take care of all the hogs in our area. I called around to several places to see if they carry it on the self but couldn't find any place that had it. Now I know Maker Ammunition isn't new and I know many serious hog hunters that using it with great results. In the video I'm using a .223 but I know that they this stuff in many different calibers. The funny part is that the box of ammo is just a plain white box, no name or anything at all on it.. haha! I was able to test this ammo out on a couple unsuspecting hogs with really good results under a couple different shooting situations...

https://youtu.be/SsT_wx709HE
Freedom Munitions 60gr soft points. Can buy 4-5 for that price.

I used to shoot 62 gr until I found these. I shoot enough hogs, so cheaper ammo was a must.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #2348
HansETX
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Freedom Munitions 60gr soft points. Can buy 4-5 for that price.

I used to shoot 62 gr until I found these. I shoot enough hogs, so cheaper ammo was a must.

Great! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out...
Old 10-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #2349
HansETX
Nubbin' Buck

Default Thermal Coyote Kill .223 Hornady V-MAX 55 Grain

Well... it's like what a good buddy of mine always says, "It don't matter what the first shot looks like as long as the last one puts him down". This is a recent Thermal Coyote Kill here in East Texas using a Flextone 100 Electronic Game Call and .223 Hornady V-MAX 55 Grain Ammo. You'll get to see me missing an easy 15 yard shot and then finally dropping the Coyote on a dead sprint at 40 yards.... go figure. I'm stilling scratching my mind about this one.

After using the electronic caller, baby cottontail distress, for only and few minutes, this coyote was already standing 15 yards away starring right at me. By the time that I powered up the thermal scope and mdvr recorder, he was already right up on me and I only had less than a second to aim and shoot.

It wasn't until the 3rd shot that I was able to regroup and make a good shot with the right lead to drop in dead in his tracks, but my buddies are still laughing at me for missing that easy shot..

https://youtu.be/zwpKjtC4JLU