Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Rehabilitation - Prisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rehabilitation - Prisons

National Statistics on Recidivism
    Bureau of Justice Statistics studies have found high rates of recidivism among released prisoners. One study tracked 404,638 prisoners in 30 states after their release from prison in 2005.[1] The researchers found that:

Within three years of release, about two-thirds (67.8 percent) of released prisoners were rearrested.
    Within five years of release, about three-quarters (76.6 percent) of released prisoners were rearrested.
    Of those prisoners who were rearrested, more than half (56.7 percent) were arrested by the end of the first year.
    Property offenders were the most likely to be rearrested, with 82.1 percent of released property offenders arrested for a new crime compared with 76.9 percent of drug offenders, 73.6 percent of public order offenders and 71.3 percent of violent offenders.

Do you think we should try more methods of punishment / rehabilitation for criminals? Prison systems seem to be as corrupt as most places that the tax payers support.

With the information concerning positive reinforcement studies available, and even the research that has been done on torture more recently, it seems as if maybe a re-evaluation of punishment should be explored.

I believe that punishment should be just that, but if they aren't going to be locked away for life, their return to civilization is very important to consider.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and soft.

Move the prisons back to working ranches and farms. Prison should be a place you never ever ever ever want to go back to again. Seems like for some prison isn't that bad of a thing. 16 hour days in the sun without sunscreen AC and cold water will fix you quick.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
      Move the prisons back to working ranches and farms. Prison should be a place you never ever ever ever want to go back to again. Seems like for some prison isn't that bad of a thing. 16 hour days in the sun without sunscreen AC and cold water will fix you quick.
      That's what I believe as well - more of a manual labor / work atmosphere.

Comment

This

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baqttoPU3FY"]Cool Hand Luke Car Wash scene - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Talked to some guys who were in prison. They claimed it wouldn't be that bad going back. I was thinking gee..That's not much of a deterrent is it?

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
            That's what I believe as well - more of a manual labor / work atmosphere.
            Yup. As a bonus to making no one want to go back it may build some quality character as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
              Yup. As a bonus to making no one want to go back it may build some quality character as well.
              That's my thoughts - seems like a win / win situation. We are already talking about the lack of tradesmen coming up the pipeline.

Comment

I have some old spurs/belt buckles that were handmade by prisoners. They used to do some pretty high quality work.

Comment

Stopped being a deterrent when inmates were deemed to have the same rights and privileges as the society they couldnt live in without breaking the societies laws and in turn
                  they stopped being punished for their crime, and started being coddled, educated, and babysat until their release.

its not rocket surgery.

Comment

Yep. Either way they should be forced to work and produce enough to support themselves. Working isnt punishment, its life. Work is good for you mentally and physically. The suffering and effort that results in accomplishing something would set some on the right track. For others prison is just a delay. Kind of a cost of doing business. They use prison as a networking opportunity. For those we need to make it miserable. There is no ( or very little ) chance of "fixing" them. They need to be SCARED of going back.

And for the remaining? Well, we need to kill more of them. Some are beyond hope . Only God can save them. Forcible rape, among other heinous crimes, should result in death.

Comment

I think we’re a little caught up with punishment, and not so much rehabilitation.

Consider that the prisoners that have worked with cognitive behavioural therapy, teaching prisoners trade skills, and educating them have reduced rates of recidivism compared to the national average.

Also consider that countries which focus on these things have significantly lower rates of recidivism than the US.

Mind you, this is mostly aimed at non-violent offenders, thieves, druggies, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                        I think we’re a little caught up with punishment, and not so much rehabilitation.

Consider that the prisoners that have worked with cognitive behavioural therapy, teaching prisoners trade skills, and educating them have reduced rates of recidivism compared to the national average.

Also consider that countries which focus on these things have significantly lower rates of recidivism than the US.

Mind you, this is mostly aimed at non-violent offenders, thieves, druggies, etc.

Lots of truth here

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post

Think we're confusing higher education with corrective punishment.
                          "Sentenced to" shouldn't mean the same thing as "you've been accepted to"

Comment

We should cane them, then rehabilitate them. Second time offenders serve 20 years of hard labor

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Some of y’all would fit right in overseas in Korea or China.

I’m on the fence, after having a friend serving time and talking to a few prisoners in Angola I believe what a few TBH’ers who work in prisons say. Even good people make bone head mistakes. And after going to visit said friend at a TDCJ facility I can say it ain’t no dam picnic in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X